Blue Note/EMI/Capitol/Pacific Jazz Recommendations

Guy Berger

With the upcoming private equity buyout of EMI, some great jazz may soon be going out of print. What are some of your favorite currently IN-PRINT Blue Note/EMI jazz/Pacific Jazz/Capitol Jazz/etc releases? Let's restrict these to CDs that are not RVGs, Connoisseur Series, or Mosaic releases.

Some personal favorites:

Grant Green, Street of Dreams

Cannonball Adderley, Mercy Mercy Mercy

Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker, 2 CD quartets release

Joe Lovano, Rush Hour

Jason Moran, Black Stars

Big John Patton, Let 'Em Roll

Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane, Live at the Five Spot

Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane, Live at Carnegie Hall

Kenny Dorham, Afro Cuban

Duke Ellington, Money Jungle

Chick Corea, Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Grant Green & Sonny Clark, Complete Quartet Recordings (well, not a personal favorite but everyone else likes it)

Tony Williams, Spring

Joe Henderson, State of the Tenor

Stanley Turrentine, Up at Minton's

Jackie McLean, New Soil

Herbie Nichols, Complete Blue Note Recordings

Jimmy Smith, Back at the Chicken Shack

Jimmy Smith, Midnight Special

McCoy Tyner, Extensions

Lou Donaldson, Blues Walk

Edited by Guy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Eric Dolphy discs - "Other Apsects" for its oddity, and the Illinois concert for greatness!

Also Chico Hamilton's "Original Ellington Suite" featuring Eric Dolphy (the one thought lost and not included - except for three edited glimpses - as part of the Hamilton Mosaic).

Good call on Lovano - I have most of his releases for BN and while non of them is really what I'd call a must have recording (Rush Hour closest to being that, another good call!), all of them have some great moments to cherish.

Sheila Jordan's sole album

Benny Golson & The Philadelphians (OOP)

Stan Getz/Albert Dailey - Poetry (likely OOP, too)

some of Greg Osby's albums, first to come to mind is "Banned in New York" (OOP, I guess), others aren't that great in their entirety, but as with Lovano's, most have some good stuff on them!

Nice thread.

Andrew Hill - "Time Lines"

Jason Moran - "Same Mother"

Eric Dolphy - "The Illinois Concert"

Herbie Hancock - "Takin' Off"

Joe Lovano - "From the Soul"

Wayne Shorter - "The Soothsayer"

John Scofield - "Time on my Hands"

Greg Osby - "St. Lous Shoes"

Herbie Nichols - "Complete BN Recordings"

Lee Morgan - "Live at the Lighthouse"

The Don Wilkerson and George Braith 'Complete Blue Note' twofers. (oh, hang on - I think these are Conns).

Also the Don Grolnick 'Complete Blue Note' set.

And the Ken McIntyre 'Complete UA Recordings' and the Kenton 'Innovations Orchestra' 2CD.

Edited by sidewinder

The Don Wilkerson and George Braith 'Complete Blue Note' twofers. (oh, hang on - I think these are Conns).

And the Ken McIntyre 'Complete UA Recordings' and the Kenton 'Innovations Orchestra' 2CD.

Are these all in-print in Europe? They are OOP in the US.

Guy

Are these all in-print in Europe? They are OOP in the US.

Guy

I guess most are now OOP although I picked up the Grolnick in London within the last 12 months.

Mustn't forget those Pac Jazz Buddy Rich. 'Mercy Mercy Mercy', 'The New One', 'Buddy and Soul' etc.

yup!

and some of the Kenton is very nice, too!

also some Benny Goodman (the Capitol Trios, BG in Hifi, BG Story)

I've seen the McIntyre recently, the Grolnick I bought a couple of years ago, when it was already OOP, but it was the only time I ever saw it - great one!

The Navarro/Dameron is terrific!

The Stan Getz Roost 3CD set is also a great one! In the same series, the great Herbie Nichols, and the Lee Morgan Lighthouse boxes are recommended as well!

I've seen the McIntyre recently

That one crops up in weird places. Found my copy on Guernsey !

I have a funny image in my head of sidewinder on Guernsey, engaging in off-shore banking/cow-milking/prowling for OOP BN releases.

Guy

Edited by Guy

For the first time, I'm skeptical that we will be getting RVGs of Love Call and NY is Now (unless EMI sells BN to Concord).

Love Call might never come back into print (except as a digital download).

Disturbing to think that selling BN to Concord would be a GOOD outcome, but it may come to that.

Guy

I've seen the McIntyre recently

That one crops up in weird places. Found my copy on Guernsey !

I have a funny image in my head of sidewinder on Guernsey, engaging in off-shore banking/cow-milking/prowling for OOP BN releases.

Guy

:lol: Visiting friends, no milking :P . It was in the only CD shop on the island, in St Peter Port. It was hiding at the back of a rack - long after it had gone OOP on the mainland.

The Stan Getz Roost 3CD set is also a great one!

Yes, good call!

Guy

I've seen these 3CD sets for as little as 12-13 euro recently, in local sales!

For those not wanting all of the Getz, there's the "At Storyville" single disc featuring most of the great live recording of the Getz quintet with Jimmy Raney.

Two more that are not RVGed yet, for whatever weird reason:

Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

not sure if these have been RVGed, I have the "old" editions of all of them:

Jimmy Smith - Crazy! Baby! (one of my favourites)

the Jimmy Smith album with Grant Green

and the one with Quentin Warren done the day after or before the Green one

and the 2CD set containing his first three albums (has one of these come out as an RVG?)

Also the whole "Standards" series is pretty good, with discs by Sonny Clark (good), Jimmy Smith (ok), Lee Morgan (more than good!), Grant Green (also more than good - I like Green in sparse settings!) and the Three Sounds (don't have that one).

I think they're all OOP but I've seen the Clark, Green and Morgan recently, the Smith is rare over here and the Three Sounds I never saw...

For the first time, I'm skeptical that we will be getting RVGs of Love Call and NY is Now (unless EMI sells BN to Concord).

Love Call might never come back into print (except as a digital download).

Disturbing to think that selling BN to Concord would be a GOOD outcome, but it may come to that.

Guy

I doubt Concord has the cash after that big wad they just blew on Fantasy - wasn't around $100 million? Though they control a smaller catalog, I suspect that BN would command an even higher price.

Serge Chaloff: Blue Serge

Sidney Bechet: Best of Sidney Bechet

Ellington: Piano Reflections

Booker Little: Four & Max Roach

Charlie Parker: Washington Concerts

Charlie Parker: At Storyville

Mingus: Jazz Portraits - Mingus in Wonderland

Mingus; Complete Town Hall Concert

Lee Konitz/Charlie Haden/Brad Mehldau: Alone Together

Lee Konitz/Charlie Haden/Brad Mehldau: Another Shade of Blue

Edited by paul secor

With the upcoming private equity buyout of EMI, some great jazz may soon be going out of print. What are some of your favorite currently IN-PRINT Blue Note/EMI jazz/Pacific Jazz/Capitol Jazz/etc releases? Let's restrict these to CDs that are not RVGs, Connoisseur Series, or Mosaic releases.

Not to pee on your thread, but the buyout might actually be a good thing. They certainly won't have to worry about hitting short-term financial targets. If the buyers are looking to "unlock value", I can't think of a better place.