Blue Note/EMI/Capitol/Pacific Jazz Recommendations

Guy Berger

Also Chico Hamilton's "Original Ellington Suite" featuring Eric Dolphy (the one thought lost and not included - except for three edited glimpses - as part of the Hamilton Mosaic).

Good call! A big favorite.

Complete Navarro/Dameron sessions.

Yes! :tup

The Stan Getz Roost 3CD set is also a great one! In the same series, the great Herbie Nichols, and the Lee Morgan Lighthouse boxes are recommended as well!

You're battin' 1.000 my friend! :)

Absolutely agree on these too! (Although I have the JRVG's of the Fabulous Fats Navarro's, which sound great.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Evans/Jim Hall-Undercurrent (especially since they restored the original cover, which is a thing of beauty in its own right)

Greg Osby-Channel Three (Matthew Brewer is an excellent bassist)

Chet Baker Ensemble/Big Band/Sextet/Picture of Heath/w/Russ Freeman

Paul Chambers-Whims of Chambers

The Sound of Johnny Smith Guitar

Art Pepper-Modern Art vol 2

Suprised to see that Joe Pass's Joy Spring is OOP, now besides the 'best of' package, there's no PJ material available domestically. And Joy Spring wasn't even an original PJ release.

I have compiled a list of just under 200 EMI jazz CDs I want. :crazy:

If you don't have it on your list (or have it already), add:

Booker Ervin: Booker and Brass

This was a standard Pacific Jazz/EMI issue, and it's a very good session in great sound. There are a lot of Booker fans here, but this session seems to get overlooked. At any rate, I'm a fan.

Edited by Late

This was a standard Pacific Jazz/EMI issue, and it's a very good session in great sound. There are a lot of Booker fans here, but this session seems to get overlooked. At any rate, I'm a fan.

OOP, I think.

Guy

OOP, I think.

Yep. Forgot to add that to my post.

I find it swingin', but I can see how it might not be to others' taste. The larger ensemble adds a little more excitement in my opinion.

big fan of that one! probably like it better than the two Conns, ah, that's three by now... second runner would the the first Conn with Richard Williams, found the second (with an ugly cover, too) rather less great than I'd expected, while the latest was pretty good again...

Guy

How long was the similarly motivated OJC list?

I smile when I see these threads start, and often wonder how many qualified items actually don't get mentioned. Like a new listener saying "I really like Sidewinder, what other Lee Morgan albums should I consider?" Answer, invariably, essentially all of them. Not that asking/answering this type of question isn't useful--can be useful for setting relative priorities.

In that spirit, another vote for Sonny Clark Leapin' and Lopin' (figure this has been an obvious RVG candidate for awhile), and for Art Blakey Three Blind Mice, Vol. 1. I think the latter is still in print (or at least available). Haven't had luck tracking down second volume. Not essential Blakey by any means, but enjoyable.

Guy

How long was the similarly motivated OJC list?

Not long enough, considering how many OJCs have already gone out of print. :(

I smile when I see these threads start, and often wonder how many qualified items actually don't get mentioned. Like a new listener saying "I really like Sidewinder, what other Lee Morgan albums should I consider?" Answer, invariably, essentially all of them.

Aside from the Lighthouse box, I have 4 Morgan CDs on my list. :)

Guy

It's out of print, but I just got it off eBay for 4,53 GBP. :D

i second the Chaloffs, all PJ Chet Bakers, the Mulligan/Baker Quartets, the Navarro set, the Lester Young Alladin sides (and so much more...)

there was a good series of prebop BN comps around 1998/1999 covering 40s recordings from Ike Quebec, Sydney Bechet, JOhn Hardee, Edmond Hall and other swingtets and small group swing. i got them all and don't know if they're already OOP, but they're highly recommendable and get you a glimpse into the pre 50s BN. Plus they're the only instance on CD of this material (if you except some Japanese TOCJ-66xxx reissues which i also mostly own, hehehe).

Those were the 60th B-Day sets:

Blue Note Swingtets (incl. Quebec, Hardee, Hamilton a.o.)

Blue Note Jazzmen (2CD set, 4 dates with James P. Johnson, Edmond Hall, Sidney De Paris, Vic Dickenson, and Ben Webster on one, too)

plus four discs by single artists:

George Lewis (mostly disc 2 of his Mosaic)

Edmond Hall (3 great dates, incl. the celeste & Charlie Christian on acoustic guitar)

Sidney Bechet "Runnin' Wild" I think, two or three dates with Wild Bill Davison

Not sure these are the 6 already (thus the 2CD would count as 2) or if I'm still missing one...

There are other "early" CDs, too, such as the one by Babs Gonzalez or the "First Day" by Gene Ammons/Mead Lux Lewis.

Too bad none of the Art Hodes came out on CD!

ANd there's another Bechet that came later, titled I think "The Fabulous Sidney Bechet" with his latest BN dates (De Paris and Jonah Jones on trumpet, I think).

Blue Note Swingtets (incl. Quebec, Hardee, Hamilton a.o.)

Blue Note Jazzmen (2CD set, 4 dates with James P. Johnson, Edmond Hall, Sidney De Paris, Vic Dickenson, and Ben Webster on one, too)

George Lewis (mostly disc 2 of his Mosaic)

Edmond Hall (3 great dates, incl. the celeste & Charlie Christian on acoustic guitar)

Sidney Bechet "Runnin' Wild" I think, two or three dates with Wild Bill Davison

yes that was it, i don't have the double set because i have all the material (except for alt takes) on Toshibas. and it was a 60th b-day special. that's why i'm patiently awaiting 2009 (it's getting closer) to see if they get it together and present us with something special.

i also count "The Fabulous Sidney Bechet" as part of that batch, even if it isn't, and also have the First day Ammons/Lux Lewis, but this one sounds very poor. ifyou like Jonah Jones there's a CApitol album (Jumpin with Jonah Jones), but it's from the 50s.

having said that, and returning to the general thread mode, i wouldn't start hoarding EMI CDs now just because of the unclear company future. these titles will be on the market for years to come.

i still remember all the talk here at the time of the Fantasy sale (grab em before they disappear!!), and they are all back on the market, including (many, many) titles i'd never seen before as OJCs and others that were always a bit elusive. and cheaper than ever. though that's a different thread actually. :)

i still remember all the talk here at the time of the Fantasy sale (grab em before they disappear!!), and they are all back on the market, including (many, many) titles i'd never seen before as OJCs and others that were always a bit elusive. and cheaper than ever. though that's a different thread actually. :)

Really? I've noticed a lot of the OJC items are now OOP on amazon. Are they in print in Europe?

Guy

Are they in print in Europe?

yes, they are distributed and i don't know if also manufactured by Universal. they carry their logo. just repressings of the old late 80s/early 90s OJCs though. but it looks like the full catalog has been repressed. to be honest i was quite surprised when i first saw them pop up. but isn't there another thread about that?

and about hoarding: i've been on some mad shopping sprees myself chasing down what i saw as old, soon to be or already OOP titles in the past. but i've had nasty suprises, like seeing them pop up some time later or while still shrink wrapped in my back log. i'm much more careful now. and what's been recommended here is well worth having. no doubt.

yes, they are distributed and i don't know if also manufactured by Universal. they carry their logo. just repressings of the old late 80s/early 90s OJCs though. but it looks like the full catalog has been repressed. to be honest i was quite surprised when i first saw them pop up. but isn't there another thread about that?

and about hoarding: i've been on some mad shopping sprees myself chasing down what i saw as old, soon to be or already OOP titles in the past. but i've had nasty suprises, like seeing them pop up some time later or while still shrink wrapped in my back log. i'm much more careful now. and what's been recommended here is well worth having. no doubt.

Count me as a skeptic about your claim. Amazon.fr, amazon.com and amazon.co.uk list Don Friedman's Metamorphosis and Charles McPherson's Con Alma as OOP. I imagine there are many other titles like this.

Guy

Just ordered the Navarro/Dameron set and Sonny Clark's Leapin' and Lopin'. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Good for you! Some good stuff is comin' your way! :)

I should pull these out again myself.

As much as these forums make me covet new music, they also remind me of the gems I already own!

Count me as a skeptic about your claim. Amazon.fr, amazon.com and amazon.co.uk list Don Friedman's Metamorphosis and Charles McPherson's Con Alma as OOP. I imagine there are many other titles like this.

Guy

You're correct to be sceptic, Guy - it's by far not the whole catalogue that's been re-pressed, but many, many of more popular titles have been re-pressed indeed. I started the other thread.

I've been trying to get Don Friedman's without much luck, other artists' albums (Teddy Edwards, Jimmy Heath, Byard, Frank Foster and many, many others) aren't readily available either... I'm still trying to hoard, but I've overdrawn my bank account and will have to stop for a while now...