Blue Note/EMI/Capitol/Pacific Jazz Recommendations

Guy Berger

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the strategy that private equity firms like TF take. They are typically looking for a quick flip rather than trying to build a long term plan for success. This usually means, among other things, cutting back or eliminating low-return operations (which the BN reissue program, which is essentially a large catalog of relatively low-sellers, is certainly an example of).

Some more:

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane: Live at the Five spot

Lennie Tristano & Warne Marsh; Intuition

Count Basie: Atomic Basie

& one I like even better: Count Basie: Chairman of the Board

1969 All Star White House Tribute to Duke Ellington

Albert Ammons & Meade Lux Lewis: The First Day

Konitz Meets Mulligan

Cecil Taylor: Jazz Advance

Cecil Taylor: Love for Sale

Ellington/Mingus/Roach: Money Jungle

Charlie Parker: Bird at the Hi-Hat

Bud Powell: Bud Plays Bird

Diz 'n Bird at Carnegie Hall

and a couple of ringers:

Lenny Bruce: The Carnegie Hall Concert

Hoagy Carmichael: Hoagy Sings Carmichael

That's not the strategy that private equity firms like TF take. They are typically looking for a quick flip rather than trying to build a long term plan for success. This usually means, among other things, cutting back or eliminating low-return operations (which the BN reissue program, which is essentially a large catalog of relatively low-sellers, is certainly an example of).

Got it. That is too bad then.

Cecil Taylor: Jazz Advance

Cecil Taylor: Love for Sale

I haven't heard it yet :( but I assume we should add Coltrane Time (under Coltrane's name in the reissues)

I'm surprised you haven't heard it, and you should get it just because - but it is a bummer of a session.

Also Chico Hamilton's "Original Ellington Suite" featuring Eric Dolphy (the one thought lost and not included - except for three edited glimpses - as part of the Hamilton Mosaic).

Good call! A big favorite.

Complete Navarro/Dameron sessions.

Yes! :tup

The Stan Getz Roost 3CD set is also a great one! In the same series, the great Herbie Nichols, and the Lee Morgan Lighthouse boxes are recommended as well!

You're battin' 1.000 my friend! :)

Well, I think the position of as yet unreleased items is looking even gloomier than the currently available stuff, but these are my favourits among those I THINK are stil available (I tend to lose interest in availability once I've bought an album :) )

Grant Green - Alive

Fred Jackson - Hootin' n' tootin'

Grant Green - Born to be blue

Grant Green - Standards

Grant Green - Complete quartets with Sonny Clark

Lonne Smith - Club Mozambique

Stanley Turrentine - Blue hour

T-Bone Walker - Complete Capitol/Black & White (available?)

Grant Green - Street of dreams

Grant Green - Talkin' about

Jimmy Smith - Smalls' Paradise

Jimmy Smith - Chicken shack

Jimmy Smith - Midnight special

John Patton - Accent on the bluues

John Patton - Memphis to New York spirit

Grant Green - Green street

Lou Donaldson - Alligato bogaloo

Art Blakey - Birdland

Grant Green - Green is beautiful

Fela Kuti - Gentleman

Fela Kuti - Confusion

Ike Quebec - Heavy soul

Ike Quebec - It might as well be spring

Stanley Turrentine - Rough n' tumble

Ike Quebec - Complete 45 sessions

That'l do.

As for the not yet reisued, theres

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl

Jimmy McGriff & Junior Parker - Chicken fried soul

Grant Green - Visions

Grant Green - Shades of Green

Grant Green - One unissued session

Freddie Roach - One unissued session

Les McCann - most of his PJ albums

Sonny Stitt & Charles Kynard - My mother's eyes

So there!

MG

These have been mentioned already, but they're of huge importance, muscially and historically, and if they go out-of-print, it'll be a sad day:

• Lester Young: The Complete Aladdin Sessions

• Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker: The Pacific Jazz Sessions (or whatever the exact title is)

If anyone's on the fence about these, I'd say pick 'em up now. If you don't like them, you might have fairly good resale value on your hands.

======

I wonder what will happen to the EMI classical catalog? Just a FYI in this regard — EMI has both a 20-bit and 24-bit line, often of the same recordings. While I haven't even come close to listening to that many duplicates, I actually prefer the 20-bit recordings so far, most of which (I think) are contained in their "Historical" series. You can find a complete list of that series here.

Also note that list price for the "Historical" series is $6.99, and list price for the "Great Recordings of the Century" (which is the 24-bit line) is $11.99. You can find, say, certain Mozart performances (which are identical) in both series. They just have different cover art and different remastering. I've been scooping up discs from the "Historical" series like mad lately — and this was before I heard about EMI being purchased!

"Out of Print" doesn't have quite the same meaning that it used to, what with the used market being online now, and the European "50 year" rule. Lets just say that I'm not shaking in my boots about losing access to any great music.

Not to mention file-sharing, downloading legal and illegal, etc...

My real fear is that even in that golden future, far far away, when everything will be available just for the asking, the average person will still be asking for whatever the equivalent of American Idol "music" is currently being shoved down their throats...

Oh wait, that's no different than it is today.

The Mulligan material certainly is available in cheapo copy editions already. I think the BN set is OOP anyway, no?

How about Groove Holmes' Pacific Jazz discs? I think there were four, but I never found the one with Ben Webster... the one with Gene Ammons is great!

How about Groove Holmes' Pacific Jazz discs? I think there were four, but I never found the one with Ben Webster... the one with Gene Ammons is great!

None are available at present. About 3hr28min playing time altogether. You'd think they'd make a good Mosaic select, wouldn't you? Particularly since MC fucked up the original CD reissues - forgot to include one track in the correct reissue and didn't discover another until later.

MG

None are available at present. About 3hr28min playing time altogether. You'd think they'd make a good Mosaic select, wouldn't you? Particularly since MC fucked up the original CD reissues - forgot to include one track in the correct reissue and didn't discover another until later.

MG

The stray track on "After Hours"? What are the others again, the one with Jug, the one with Webster, and what's the fourth? A *great* select, I'd say!

MG

The stray track on "After Hours"? What are the others again, the one with Jug, the one with Webster, and what's the fourth? A *great* select, I'd say!

Groovin' with Jug

Groove (with McCann & Webster)

After hours

Something special (with McCann & Clifford Scott) This CD also contains 1 track that was on the "Tell it like it is" LP that should have been included in "After hours" and 1 from the "Groove" session, that wasn't found until after the CD reissue of "Groove".

MG

These have been mentioned already, but they're of huge importance, muscially and historically, and if they go out-of-print, it'll be a sad day:

• Lester Young: The Complete Aladdin Sessions

• Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker: The Pacific Jazz Sessions (or whatever the exact title is)

If anyone's on the fence about these, I'd say pick 'em up now. If you don't like them, you might have fairly good resale value on your hands.

Thank God for a lifetime of out-of-control music buying; I've already got these.

"Out of Print" doesn't have quite the same meaning that it used to, what with the used market being online now, and the European "50 year" rule. Lets just say that I'm not shaking in my boots about losing access to any great music.

Not to mention file-sharing, downloading legal and illegal, etc...

My real fear is that even in that golden future, far far away, when everything will be available just for the asking, the average person will still be asking for whatever the equivalent of American Idol "music" is currently being shoved down their throats...

Oh wait, that's no different than it is today.

Yes, but at least in that far off future we'll all have jet-packs.

but it would be interesting to have some list of items that don't fall under the 50 year rule or don't awake enough interest for being reissued...

of the ones mentioned so far, I'd say the Ken McIntyre UA set and the Don Grolnick most likely fall under that category.