Art Tatum Complete Pablo Solo Masterpieces

I got a used copy of the LP box edition of the Complete Art Tatum Solos at a great price - only problem is that the booklet is missing. It isn't very voluminous - 14 pages incl. the discography - but I'd like to have it anyway. I e-mailed Concord but they said they were sorry - didn't have any surplus booklets.

Now if anyone had a surplus booklet or could provide me with a photocopy - costs refunded - I would be grateful.

21DFH46132L._AA150_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

• 3 years later...

In the not-very-probable case that you don't have the complete Art Tatum's Solo Masterpieces recordings for Pablo (life would be much harder without them!), Pablo/Universal has just reissued them as a cheap 8-CD box-set. It sells for about 22 € in Spain.

Minor flaw: no liner notes, just the basic discographical info.

• 1 month later...

The new editions of both the solo and group masterpieces are now for sale online. Amazon.it (a new one on me) has them for the cheapest: 22.04 euros for the solos and 19.01 euros for the group. I'm in the UK, so I've gone for Amazon.co.uk which has them both for £26.50 delivered.

I'm really pleased -- I've wanted this music for years and never bought it because I could never find the old boxes at a good price (I missed that Zweitausens sale a few years ago). Be good to hear these sessions in full for the first time!

The new editions of both the solo and group masterpieces are now for sale online. Amazon.it (a new one on me) has them for the cheapest: 22.04 euros for the solos and 19.01 euros for the group. I'm in the UK, so I've gone for Amazon.co.uk which has them both for £26.50 delivered.

I'm really pleased -- I've wanted this music for years and never bought it because I could never find the old boxes at a good price (I missed that Zweitausens sale a few years ago). Be good to hear these sessions in full for the first time!

Great news! Thanks for the links, will check these out.

I believe the liner notes were by Benny Green and were reprinted in the later editions of his book The Reluctant Art.

Which Benny Green was that? The piano player who recorded with (separately) Ray Brown and Russell Malone, or the trombone player , or somebody else?

The trombone player's first name is spelt "Bennie".

British musician/critic Benny Green

The Independent, June 24, 1998: Benny Green obit

Just received my sets. They were put together by Universal Music Italia. The remastering is by Phil De Lancie, done in 1990 for the Group and 1991 for the Solo.

Packaging for both sets is two double-thickness jewel cases, each holding four CDs, in a thin card box, much like the Mosaic selects are done.

Each set has a booklet with all the basic session info, songs/composers, musicians, dates, etc. There are no liner notes or photos.

Haven't played them yet but so far I'm very pleased.