• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on the AMG home page.

+++

Cut-Out of the Year?

October 19th, 2007 | 5:31 pm est | Thom Jurek

Cut-outs have been one of the mainstays of crate-diggers and general music freaks since the dawn of the 78 rpm platter. What this means is, is that when a title is dropped from a label’s catalogue, it is “cut out” of it. The returns from retailers and other remaining copies in stock are then sold off to wholesalers at big discounts. That discount is — usually — passed on to consumers.

In the CD era, especially in the realm of jazz, titles go into and out of print with stunning regularity. Blue Note and Fantasy Prestige (now owned by Concord) have both taken catalogue items, issued them in limited runs, had them remastered, or deleted them altogether. These days, labels put out special editions of classic titles, and/or issue box sets that combine individual titles. In many cases, the leftovers from previous editions are sold off in big lots to those who specialize in items like this.

The coolest and best-priced cutout of 2007 has to be Joe Henderson’s The Milestone Years, an eight-CD box that contains representative tracks from all of the albums the late great saxophonist cut for the imprint from 1967 to 1976, as well as several guest appearances he made on the recordings of others. The list price on this baby was $124.98. As of this writing, it has already shown up on eBay in their 99-cent bids, as well as in cheap “buy now” items from several sellers there, and at other online retailers — including some non-big box indies! The going retail is anywhere from $26-$40, with $30 being the mean. Check the AMG review of the set here. These won’t be around long, so get on it if you are even remotely inclined to — the holiday season is about on top of us.

+++

Cut-Out of the Year?

October 19th, 2007 | 5:31 pm est | Thom Jurek

The coolest and best-priced cutout of 2007 has to be Joe Henderson’s The Milestone Years, an eight-CD box that contains representative tracks from all of the albums the late great saxophonist cut for the imprint from 1967 to 1976, as well as several guest appearances he made on the recordings of others.

Gawd, Jurek's abuse of the language drives me up the wall sometimes. The box is a complete set of Henderson's Milestone albums, so calling them "representative tracks" is just wrong. It suggests to me that Jurek either can't speak English or is too lazy to read the liners or any number of online reviews of what he is describing.

Even though cash is pretty tight, I feel I can't pass up on this offer. I'll know I'll be kicking myself in the rear months from now if I let this slide. :D

I know; me too. Even though Henderson's not one of my favorites, I figured this is a good way to expose myself to his oeuvre. I ordered this on Amazon from Village Music World.

I ordered this on Amazon from Village Music World.

:tup

The Village Music World listing on Amazon now says that there are 24 in stock, down from 45 a few days ago. I'm sure that the Jurek item is getting more people to buy this--at least one reader comment posted below Jurek's article says that the reader bought it on Amazon Marketplace. These may dry up fairly quickly now.

Edited by Ron S

Even though cash is pretty tight, I feel I can't pass up on this offer. I'll know I'll be kicking myself in the rear months from now if I let this slide. :D

I know; me too. Even though Henderson's not one of my favorites, I figured this is a good way to expose myself to his oeuvre. I ordered this on Amazon from Village Music World.

Joe IS one of my favorites. I bought this with Christmas money several years back and have NEVER regretted it. Be glad that you can get it! Many hours of listening pleasure to be had with this set...

The box is a complete set of Henderson's Milestone albums, so calling them "representative tracks" is just wrong.

Big Wheel, are you sure you are correct? It was my understanding that only a couple of albums are included in their entirety, Power to the People being one of them. I don't have it, so I may be wrong.

The box is a complete set of Henderson's Milestone albums, so calling them "representative tracks" is just wrong.

Big Wheel, are you sure you are correct? It was my understanding that only a couple of albums are included in their entirety, Power to the People being one of them. I don't have it, so I may be wrong.

From Scott Yanow's review on the very same AMG site: "This massive eight-CD set contains all of the music from Henderson's dozen Milestone LPs"

From the 2004 Fantasy catalog: "His 12 albums during that period . . . have been compiled into this eight-CD, 82-selection box."

Edited by Ron S

Ordered Friday evening, about 6pm, Shipped out Saturday, recieved Monday at noon in Ohio. Can't beat that. Looking forward to hearing this set from the Ohio native... jw

Nice! Mine shipped on 9 October but hasn't arrived yet :(

You sure you didn't order it from Zweitausendeins? :rolleyes:

Ordered Friday evening, about 6pm, Shipped out Saturday, recieved Monday at noon in Ohio. Can't beat that. Looking forward to hearing this set from the Ohio native... jw

Nice! Mine shipped on 9 October but hasn't arrived yet :(

You sure you didn't order it from Zweitausendeins? :rolleyes:

Box from Zwei....er... Dusty was on my porch this afternoon! :P

This place costs me way too much money. I was going to let this go, but I changed my mind and just ordered a set from an amazon seller since Dusty Groove is currently out of stock. This period of Joe Henderson isn't usually my favorite, but I figured for the price I would give it a shot. Now ... where do I fit in the listening with the Mosaic sets I just bought??

Now ... where do I fit in the listening with the Mosaic sets I just bought??

and the 'On The Corner' box..

As for me - I currently have 4 Mosaics in the mail, an 'On The Corner' box and a 'possible' Amazonion Monk. :unsure:

Oh ... I forgot about the Monk. I've got one of them on order too. I certainly want it to materialize, but it wouldn't hurt in the least if I didn't get it for a bit.