JSngry

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real Audio streaming tastes from "Mothership":

TRIP MERCHANT

LOVE DROPS

AMG REVIEW: Organist Larry Young's final Blue Note album was not released until 1980. Teamed up with tenor saxophonist Herbert Morgan, the great trumpeter Lee Morgan and drummer Eddie Gladden, Young performs five of his originals which range from the funky "Street Scene" and the samba "Love Drops" to a spacy "Trip Merchant" and the complex "Visions." This highly original set does not deserve to be so obscure. — Scott Yanow

Sorry, I like the LT cover better. But I am in the minority on that, no doubt.

Those LT covers could have contained ANYTHING! I alwys felt they were not like Blue Note Covers in any way. Anonymous.

I'm not so thrilled about the Larry Young photo chosen either, they probably don't have too many colour pics for choice?

What's wierd about that picture is it doesn't look like he's playing the C3 in RVG's studio. The organ looks like it has tabs instead of drawbars. Odd.

Looks like a Hammond M-100. But he's kickin' bass on those records, isn't he? The photo must not be from those sessions because the M-100 is a spinet model with a crummy one octave pedal board and even crummier bass sound.

What's wierd about that picture is it doesn't look like he's playing the C3 in RVG's studio.  The organ looks like it has tabs instead of drawbars.  Odd.

Looks like a Hammond M-100. But he's kickin' bass on those records, isn't he? The photo must not be from those sessions because the M-100 is a spinet model with a crummy one octave pedal board and even crummier bass sound.

This might have been taken at a rehearsal. Much like Patton's "Boogaloo" album cover, which claims to be taken in the studio but seems more likely to be taken at a rehearsal facility since he's playing a white B-3 with matching leslie. Patton had no memory of playing a white b3 at RVG's whatsoever, so it must have been elsewhere.

My guess is this is at the same rehearsal facility with a different organ. To my eye, this doesn't look like a an M-100 but it's hard to tell from the photo. Hammond made so many models by the time this photo was taken lord knows what it could have been. Probably something with a full pedal board and enough b3-ness to rehearse on.

It's definately not from the recording session, that Blue Note stuff is C3 all the way.