Tangerine Dream

Guy Berger

In college I picked up six Tangerine Dream albums -- Alpha Centauri, Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, Rubycon, Stratosfear.

Alpha Centauri is great -- late 60s Floyd taken to the next level. "Fly and Collision of Comas Sola"!

Zeit -- wow. I don't know if I have ever listened to it closely the whole way through, but it's an experience. Sort of the equivalent of Ascension for this (very different) style of music. Those moaning cellos on the first track.

Atem I have not gotten into that much, but I picked it up after the previous two and haven't listened to it as closely.

Phaedra and Rubycon are classics. Perhaps not as raw as the earlier albums, but there is something about the combination of those throbbing synthesizer lines and the dissonant mellotron backdrop.

Stratosfear -- geez, their music got a lot worse and only one year had passed since Rubycon.

Guy

Phaedra and Rubycon are classics. Perhaps not as raw as the earlier albums, but there is something about the combination of those throbbing synthesizer lines and the dissonant mellotron backdrop.

Phaedra and Rubycon are from 74-75. Aqua by Edgar Froese is 74 - highly recommended. :tup

Went through a little bit of a, to use the description of the guy who got me into the stuff in the first place, "non-glandular music" phase back in the day and had Electronic Meditation, their very first album. Just looked on the shelves, and it's still there, even though it's been 30+ years since I played it (or even thought about it!). That one's not at all like their later stuff, but I remember it having a little something different.

The later stuff, the more overtly electro/trance/minimal/whatever I remember as being very well done and quite thoughtful, even if it didn't really click with me. But no disrespect here, they had (have?) their own thing, and you gotta respect that.

was klaus schulz a member of the original group?

i have his moondawn recording from the early 70's which was and is a jewel.

He's on Electronic Meditation.

I passed on an original Ohr first pressing of it because of the price, 50 Euros, in retrospect I shouldn't, I love this record, on a cd reissue.

In the 70's I was absolutely devoted to this stuff (and a lot of other German music).

Often streaming from my bedroom at home and in the dorm

rather loudly accompanied by swirling, pulsating kinetic art.

Lost interest in TD in the 80's because after making some serious cash

on soundtracks, they changed their sound too much for my taste.

Never lost my love for Schulze and have every release of his - well over 100 CD/LPs.

He's managed to keep his wonderful sense of time intact throughout the years

while still keeping a personal style.

His latest, Kontinuum, begins as a real nod to his 70's roots,

and cruises thru styles he's developed over the past 38 years.

It fits like a glove.

Next summer, I'll be going to see both of them at Loreley in Germany.

Tho no longer a fan of the recent TD, it'd still be nice to see Edgar Froese play.

If this were 1974/75, I'd be peeing my pants over this lineup,

but I'm in that inbetween phase in my life when one doesn't pee their pants

(if they can help it). :D

120202.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

enjoyed Zeit! any recommendations for my next TD?

:cool:

I've got about a dozen TD on vinyl & cd and tend to prefer the material that runs from the late-70's through about '86 or so. 'Underwater Sunlight' w/ the catchy 'Dolphin Dance' would be a good one to check out imo. 'Green Desert' (recorded early 70's) is another fine one.....or, if you want something 'live' -- try 'Pergamon' which was recorded in either '79 or '80 at the Palast Der Republik in East Berlin. For some boneheaded reason (oh yeah, I wanted some quick cash for jazz cds!), I sold my original cd copy of 'Green Desert' (w/the old cover art) to some guy over at the Hoffman forum a few years ago. Wish I hadn't done that. <_<

• 3 months later...
Guest Wallace

Early Kosmische period TD doesnt really light my candle. (I suppose "Atem" is the best.)

The period that followed is their best with brilliant sequencer work. My fav lps are "Tangram" & "Force Majeur" because they are quite busy and the band seems to be pulling proggy moves.

Of the solo lps, favs would be:

Schulze - "X"

Baumann - "Romance...summat" (his first)

Froess (probably spelt incorrectly) - generally considered that his second, "Epsilon In Malaysian Pale" is clearly the best,

Somewhere on this forum I wrote that , compared to lps cds are not very collectable. Well, apparently if you have Froess' 3rd, "Macula Transfer" on cd its worth a few sheckles.

Franke - Ive only heard the London thing and its quite good

Schmoelling - first lp has newage moments, but overall is very good.