Miles Davis photo shoot

I saw this in a special insert of "W" magazine the other day (and no, I don't have a subscription to it!... it was in the pile of magazines at the "barber shop").

Some of these pictures are damn downright brilliant... I think in part because Miles hardly ever allowed himself to be seen this way.

Great shots!

Cheers,

Shane

Photos were taken in 1955 when Miles was 28...according to the photographer's wife. Apparently the negs had never been printed; they had been in an old envelope for the past 50 years. Taken by a guy named Tom Palumbo, who at the time worked for Harper's Bazaar...those the photos were not shot for them so never printed. Tom had struck up a friendship with Miles at some point and that's how the shoot came about. The story also indicates these were taken (three rolls) at Mile's 77th street brownstone.

m~

Photos were taken in 1955 when Miles was 28...according to the photographer's wife. Apparently the negs had never been printed; they had been in an old envelope for the past 50 years. Taken by a guy named Tom Palumbo, who at the time worked for Harper's Bazaar...those the photos were not shot for them so never printed. Tom had struck up a friendship with Miles at some point and that's how the shoot came about. The story also indicates these were taken (three rolls) at Mile's 77th street brownstone.

m~

Yes, I read that and think Tom is correct. I think the pics are from a year or two later

Is that Betty Mabry on the photo? (presumably yes otherwise he would have got an earful - as that photo looks to be from around 1969/70 at the time of 'Bitches Brew').

Looking at the wall display, MIles would have made an excellent Mosaic collector. :g

Looks like Cicely Tyson:

davissorcererfront2kw.jpg

Betty Mabry

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/%A5Artist%20G...avis-1975-1.jpg

bettydavis-header.jpg

The photos are in a magazine called "Movies Rock," which is a special supplement to a number of Conde Nast magazines this month, including GQ. The basic idea is the confluence of music and movies. Besides the Miles shots, there are a number of very readable articles. I liked the piece on Elmer Bernstein by Nick Tosches, the one on the movie "Tommy" by James Wolcott, and an excellent long biography of Jimmy Van Heusen by James Kaplan. The magazine is worth searching out.