Benny Goodman´s 1938 Carnegie Hall concert

EKE BBB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark's Puck was one of the highlights that really helped " confirm" the suites association with Shakespeare. I read that Clark himself was upset at the way it had been left off the disc.

They claim it will be put on a future Ellington CD as a bonus track, but somehow it wont be the same out of context.

• 1 year later...

Take a look at this comparison of the Definitive set with the the three Columbias (LP, first CD incarnation, 1999 Phil Schaap CD reissue):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.b...7?output=gplain

Interesting points.

Thanks for that link. Very informative.

Y'know, I've never really had too much of a problem listening to the Schapp version (I know, I know.....). However, this will likely push me over the edge. The Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert was one of the first jazz CDs I ever bought (the '85 version, that is), and as such it holds that much importance for me.

Edited by Big Al

I've got the 1999 version, I'm happy with it, and I'm holding fast.  -_-

I've got the Definitive and although I never got a chance to compare it to Schaap's '99 release, the Definitive sounds very good indeed. My only point of comparison would be the three Columbia LPs I've owned for close to 40 years.

• 1 year later...

Who'd ever have thought I'd find the Disconforme edition at the local public library??? Well, I did. Brought it home and ran a quick A/B on "Life Goes to a Party." The Disconforme wins by a mile. Minimal surface noise and no loss of musical fidelity. Plus the only tracks are those for the actual tunes, so I don't have to skip over applause tracks. I am truly amazed at how good this sounds!

• 1 month later...

Love him or hate him, but why are so many people calling him "Schapp"? His name is Schaap (= Dutch for sheep, by the way; it's a Dutch name).

I'm still looking for a satisfactory CD version of the 1938 concert. I hate noise reduction (to my ears it does affect the music), but the sound on Schaap's version is headache-inducing...

Edited by J.A.W.

Love him or hate him, but why are so many people calling him "Schapp"? His name is Schaap (= Dutch for sheep, by the way; it's a Dutch name).

Phil Schnapps?

Guy

That's an old joke. Schnapps is German, not Dutch, by the way.

I've never understood why making fun of someone's name is funny...

Edited by J.A.W.

Phil Schnapps?

Guy

That's an old joke. Schnapps is German, not Dutch, by the way.

I've never understood why making fun of someone's name is funny...

Yeah, I realized even before I posted this that someone had probably made the same lame joke earlier in the thread. Couldn't help it.

Guy

In all honesty, I really thought his name was spelled with two p's; it was not meant as a slight to Schaap.

My post was not directed at you personally, Al. It's just that I don't understand why people can't be more careful with someone's name, that's all. It's not their fault they've got the name they have, if you get my drift, and making fun of it is just silly in my view.

In all honesty, I really thought his name was spelled with two p's; it was not meant as a slight to Schaap.

My post was not directed at you personally, Al. It's just that I don't understand why people can't be more careful with someone's name, that's all. It's not their fault they've got the name they have, if you get my drift, and making fun of it is just silly in my view.

That's cool. :)

and making fun of it is just silly in my view.

Being categorical about fun is silly too, in my view. Satire surely has the right to include a person's name in it's game.

Yep, but there's no satire here. And I'm not being categorical about fun in general (I didn't say I was, please read carefully and don't put words into mouth!), on the contrary, just about making fun about someone's name.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm not being categorical about fun in general (I didn't say I was, please read carefully and don't put words into mouth!), on the contrary, just about making fun about someone's name.

sorry, my bad english, I should have written dogmatically selective, or something like that. Anyhoo, I think a case can be made to display Phil as a Sheep in some Monty Python like animated satire with him having lo-o-o-ong mo-o-n-o-o-logues that sound like sheep's blating. Of course his name would have inspired such a sketch, but the world would be much less funny if such twisty-turny-translational cheap shots would be left out of the arena.

I'm not being categorical about fun in general (I didn't say I was, please read carefully and don't put words into mouth!), on the contrary, just about making fun about someone's name.

sorry, my bad english, I should have written dogmatically selective, or something like that. Anyhoo, I think a case can be made to display Phil as a Sheep in some Monty Python like animated satire with him having lo-o-o-ong mo-o-n-o-o-logues that sound like sheep's blating. Of course his name would have inspired such a sketch, but the world would be much less funny if such twisty-turny-translational cheap shots would be left out of the arena.

When it comes to humor, we clearly have different perspectives. I suggest we leave it at that.