Dexter Gordon Steeplechase Box

Brad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

The email I got from Stateside, which I posted in the All About Jazz thread on this box stated that they would be the exclusive location to buy this box in the U.S. I am glad I put off ordering this box in hopes that would change. I learned my lesson after the Mole Jazz experience over the Cecil Taylor box.

Though CDUniverse is not giving it the usual 30% discount. Not that 23% is not a nice discount. :D

But $84 would have looked a lot nicer. ;)

If CDUniverse has this who knows who else might get it as well and what they might charge. :D

Not exactly a bright move on Stateside's part. I would think it makes it possible for legal actions from the more litigious of us out there who bought it from them.

DEXTER GORDON STEEPLECHASE BOX SET @ CDUNIVERSE

Edited by Mnytime

All you guys have just made me wonder what I would have had to deal with if my Dad hadn't changed his Finnish last name. It's *Wuolu.*

Yeah - you probably guessed why he dumped it. Nobody could pronounce it, and he got tired of people butchering it!

I'm not holding my breath on this one. It's listed - and I ordered it. BUT - They also have had Dex's Rainbow People on backorder for quite some time. I figure I'm not risking too much as I have all the material already and can go the Stateside route if my order doesn't get filled.

I ordered a couple of Django Jazz in Paris titles that were supposed to be abailable in March, then April 1. They're still on backorder. They did have Dex's Happy Birthday as advertised, however/ CD Universe's track record with new release imports, in my limited experience, is mixed.

You guys who ordered it might just have a bird in hand.

As far as cancelling your order with Stateside and ordering it from cd universe, that doesn't appear to be an option. One person at AAJ said he'd already received it. However, I will be calling tomorrow. The announcement does clearly said they would be the exclusive distributor. Now I realize that they don't have to stick to that forever. However, changing so quickly is not very good. And I don't think Stateside's statement is what might be called "puffing". At the very least, for doing what they did, they should throw in an extra cd or 2.

Edited by Brad

There is a lot in what you say, Brad. It is worth pursuing. I had the same info as many of us as to the "exclusivity" of this set. On the other hand, CD Universe does tend to jump the gun on some of their advance orders. I ordered those Django discs as well some time ago and still nothing.

Still its worth a telephone call and like you say it may lead to some type of re-imbursement if Stateside is a reputable outfit, even if they are selling Art Ensemble discs now. ;)

The announcement does clearly said they would be the exclusive distributor.

The definition of a "distributor" is that of a wholesaler - i.e., a company that sells to retailers. Thus, claiming to be an exclusive distributor would mean that retail stores could only obtain the product from that source. Individuals could buy the product from any retailer that buys from that distributor.

The confusion with Stateside may arise from the fact that they do some retail mail order in addition to their wholesaling.

Edited by alankin

Well-stated, Alan. When I first contacted them my first question was about availability of a brand new release and my second question was whether I could place an order direct or had to go through a retailer. I think its great that he sells direct to the public but I am sure he makes his money through his retail accounts, even though his margin is smaller.

Alan,

That's probably a good point, which I hadn't taken account of. Stateside is free to sell product to whomever it wants and that person, subject to any agreement it may have with its source of supply (the distributor) is free to sell product for whatever price a willing buyer would pay.

As comparison, you can buy direct from Fantasy (which I have done) or from a third party such a local record store or an online retailer, like cd universe (which I have also done).

I just got off the phone with Peter Crawford of Stateside and it's as Alan said. He's the distributor but he said he also sold the set to other buyers and they're free to charge what they want. He said he suggested a price but they're free to disregard it. He said in future emails he'd try to correct the erroneous impression that Stateside was the only place where you could buy a Steeplechase product.

Recieved the set today. The sound is fabulous! Nice Package and booklet too. Of course the whole thing would be a lot sweeter for the price that CD Universe is posting, but I guess things will even out eventually. I'm still glad I got the set, the music is the main thing and it is top notch!

Ditto to what Tod said. My only criticism is that the discography doesn't indicate what record the session corresponds to but I can figure that out. The book is quite nice with many nice photos and a section by some of the sidemen on their reminescenes of Dexter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today's the 22nd and I just checked my order status at CD Universe. All of my Rare Grooves and the new Dexter 2CD comp shipped. The Steeplechase set is listed as not shipped, usually ships in 1-2 days.

I hope the fears I expressed about CD Universe's import track record are not coming to fruition. I'm still waiting for my Django Jazz in Paris releases. The Aptil 1st available date for those has been pushed back again and is now listed as 4/29 :wacko:

The Dexter Steeplechase set still lists a street date of 4/22, so I'm hoping that it might be shipped separately or from another location.