Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always very difficult to answer this thread's question.

I'll bite

"Flakes" from Ideal Bread's Transit

Now I'm humming it in my head as I watch Mecum Car Auctions on DVR

That is the highlight of the record for me. I find whenever I pull this one out it gets spun over and over for days.

Always very difficult to answer this thread's question.

I'll bite

"Flakes" from Ideal Bread's Transit

Now I'm humming it in my head as I watch Mecum Car Auctions on DVR

That is the highlight of the record for me. I find whenever I pull this one out it gets spun over and over for days.

So far my favorite of the three Ideal Bread recordings is the first one.

That one has 3-4 Lacy tunes that I never heard like I heard them played by others. Listening to Ideal Bread and The Whammies (a thoroughly different approach to Lacy's music) have given Lacy's music a whole new life for me. It's gotten me to go back to many of the Lacy recordings I have that I hadn't listened to in ages.

• 2 weeks later...

4th track on Rodrigo Amado's "The Flame Alphabet" - I believe it is called "In to the Valley". The recording is 5 tracks totalling ~ 45/46 minutes. All totally improvised by the quartet recorded on what was a very special day in the studio in Lisbon in 2011.

Amado and Bishop play together with and around a bass sounding cello and drums creating an awesome groove and energy for the whole 13-14 minutes of the track. 

Fwiw, the whole album is tremendous and the energy and focus never wavers - from softer solo/duo/trio passages up through improvising by the full quartet, but this track hits the highest peaks of anything on the record. This Rodrigo Amado dude is a real improvisor who is becoming one of my favorite tenor (and some baritone) players playing today. It has taken a while for me to fully hear the power behind his seemingly subtle improvising. The brand of free improv he is dealing with (at least with the few recordings I've heard him lead) seem to be a cross with the more detailed British improv and the open ended groove based more classic American free jazz. The results are all their own. This recording simply reminds me most of the other great quartet recording on the same label (see below).

this recording (along with "Searching for Adam") demands to be heard 

both on not two records

both recorded in sound that would make 90% of current recordings hide in shame

Edited by Steve Reynolds
Spelling and grammar

• 2 weeks later...