Albert Ayler

Gary

I keep wishing someone would give all of this material the "Mosaic" treatment and release it in the best possible fidelity and with any available bonus material. Now it seems that, between the Revenant box and the most current remasters / reissues, it will be almost possible to do so piece by piece.

These really are great (and expensive) times to be a fan of this music!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And "Music is the Healing Force of the Universe". . . I like.  Your mileage may vary.  It's sort of a mixed bag, with moments both ways, but the great moments are wonderful!

Lon is spot on (as always).

Dont expect New York Eye & Ear control.

I like it also it has it own charm , the vocal tracks are catchy & it has a track with Albert playing the bag pipes! And a good jam at the end.

I dont have another Cd quite like it .

Edited by Gary

I agree, I think the Jazz Views are vinyl dubbed.

Those Jazz Views usually are.

Hey, stop that discussion and get the Water! What a nice reissue! Really, that's one of the best and most lovingly done reissues I've seen of late (ok, I still don't have the Uptown Eager, and nothing beats the Uptown Mingus...), and all you Ayler fans should go that way!

Jazz Views are cheap, but they have the advantage of giving us recordings usually not out on decent CD releases, but as this is not the case anymore with the Ayler, go and buy the Water reissue!

ubu

I don't think this has been posted here yet...in the wake of Holy Ghost, ESP are releasing Ayler's first Fondation Maeght show, which was previously only available on an obscure Italian bootleg:

" hot on the heels of the Revenant set comes another NEW AYLER RECORD! Or, to be precise, a legitimate reissue of an incredibly rare Italian bootleg. As speculated on a few months back, ESP are releasing a CD of the first Fondation Maeght concert - the quartet recording issued as Albert Ayler Quintet 1970 - Live on Blu Jazz (Italy) BJ023CD. According to the ESP site the new CD (available in both traditional stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVD-Audio formats) will be released at the end of November under the title Maeght Foundation (ESP 4001/ESP DVD-A 101). If you’re a fan of the original Shandar album, Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, then this is great news since this recording of the July 25th set is comparable in sound quality and music. It also contains Ayler’s final recording of his signature tune, ‘Ghosts’."

I don't think this has been posted here yet...in the wake of Holy Ghost, ESP are releasing Ayler's first Fondation Maeght show, which was previously only available on an obscure Italian bootleg:

" hot on the heels of the Revenant set comes another NEW AYLER RECORD! Or, to be precise, a legitimate reissue of an incredibly rare Italian bootleg. As speculated on a few months back, ESP are releasing a CD of the first Fondation Maeght concert - the quartet recording issued as Albert Ayler Quintet 1970 - Live on Blu Jazz (Italy) BJ023CD. According to the ESP site the new CD (available in both traditional stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVD-Audio formats) will be released at the end of November under the title Maeght Foundation (ESP 4001/ESP DVD-A 101). If you’re a fan of the original Shandar album, Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, then this is great news since this recording of the July 25th set is comparable in sound quality and music. It also contains Ayler’s final recording of his signature tune, ‘Ghosts’."

This album is just as good as the rest of the Maeght Foundation concerts.

The original BluJazz CD was not sold in record stores. It was attached to an issue of an Italian jazz magazine. I was lucky enough to be in Italy when the magazine was published and was pretty sure to be disappointed with the CD which I expected to be some kind of a ripoff until I returned to Paris and played the CD.

Another album with Ayler that needs to be reissued is the Sonny Murray 'Sonny's Time Now' on Jihad. DIW reissued this in Japan (with one additional track). A classic 1965 session!

GREAT NEWS JOHN and thanks for posting it.

I've been reading that article on the Revenant site and really enjoying. . . a good apetizer for the box set which should arrive today!

You are in for a treat! I'm on disc 2 now and the sound quality is wonderful.

wait until you get to the Don Ayler tracks from disc 7 these are seroiusly lo-fi

Edited by Clunky

I THINKthis particular material from Fondation Maeght was on the recent Ayler tree, not sure right now (from my work vantage point).!

Same notion here. I guess we'll have to wait and check the tracks/timings once they're out. All pretty confusing. The Tree has material twice, I think, from different sources.

ubu

I heard the Water Fondation Maeght disc and Music is the Healing Force of the Universe for the first time tonight. I really enjoyed both, and tend to agree with the comments all of you posted earlier. Music is definitely uneven, but I am very glad to own it. Fondation is, imo, a much more significant album, and I am really looking forward to hearing that ESP release of the additional material much more now. I really got a kick out of the liner notes, where David Keenan savages the track Holy Family. I really dug that track, and think Keenan, whoever he is, is pretty full of sh!t.

I just heard My Name is Albert Ayler for the first time today. Prior to this, I thought I had heard tracks where the rest of the band is unable to cope with what Ayler is doing. This takes it to a whole other level. On the tracks where you can start to really hear Ayler being Ayler it sounds like the rest of the band was recorded seperately and had no idea what Albert was going to play.

Guest ariceffron

heres my A.A q.:

i have the village vanguard cds--- what should i get next if i wish to here more music in this vein? ive heard the early early stuff and dont like it. ive heard the stuff he did that was more rock oriented and dont like that. but i LOVE the live at the village cds. are there bootlegs or other offical cds which are similar to this, or do they stand out as unique items in his catalog

The Paris jazz radio is having a program today on Ayler, 'The Albert Ayler Story'. They are interviewing Daniel Caux who contributed to the 'Holy Ghost' box.

Daniel Caux will play a tape of the November 1966 Paris concert at the Salle Pleyel where a section of the audience booed the band while the rest of the fans applauded. Music from this part of the concert has not been released in any form yet.

The program is being rebroadcast a number of times during the week.

Details are available at:

http://www.tsfjazz.com/site/tsf/section=upcomingprograms

Music from this part of the concert has not been released in any form yet.

not even on the ayler tree?

ayler tree

Disc 4

1. Our prayer [Donald Ayler] (4:25)

2. Ghosts [Ayler] | Bells [Ayler] (11:12)

3. Truth is marching in [Ayler] (7:02)

4. Omega [Ayler] (3:42)

Personnel: Donald Ayler-tp; Albert Ayler-ts; Michel Sampson-vln; Bill Folwell-b; Beaver Harris-d. Berlin Jazz Festival, Berlin, Germany, 661103.

Music from this part of the concert has not been released in any form yet.

not even on the ayler tree?

ayler tree

Disc 4

1. Our prayer [Donald Ayler] (4:25)

2. Ghosts [Ayler] | Bells [Ayler] (11:12)

3. Truth is marching in [Ayler] (7:02)

4. Omega [Ayler] (3:42)

Personnel: Donald Ayler-tp; Albert Ayler-ts; Michel Sampson-vln; Bill Folwell-b; Beaver Harris-d. Berlin Jazz Festival, Berlin, Germany, 661103.

That's from Berlin, not from Paris! I'd love to hear the Paris concert! Parts of it - though as Brownie suggests, OTHER parts - are on the HatArt/HatOLOGY "Lörrach/Paris" disc.

ubu