How Walkable Is Your Neighborhood?

catesta

My current neighborhood isn't listed. But I don't think there's a sidewlk in th whole country. (Certainly no bars.) Still, I walk quite a bit. As long as I stick to the areas that aren't marked with the stakes, I'm pretty safe from leftover land mines and unexploded ordnance.

Just for kicks, I ran my last two US addresses, from back in the 90s. One was an '8' and one was a zero (6 miles to the nearest ANYTHING). Yet I never had a car in either.

Mine is 83, but they list the local library as being alomost half a mile away when it's about 5/6 blocks away.

That's some of the things I noticed. In my case they listed a grocery store practically a mile away, but there is a lot of small markets very close and that is where I do most of the shopping.

I'm also within walking distance of the train, but they factor public transit convenience in.

The software gives a general rating for Tokyo which is meaningless. I'd rate my neighbourhood as quite high. I can find almost anything I want within walking distance. If I want to buy say a new hard disc drive then I need to venture slightly further, say 30 minutes walk. There are lots of shops, several 24 hour stores, more barbers and hairdressers than you can imagine and dozens of restaurants, pharmacies, clinics, dentists, acupuncture , massage, dvd stores, clothes stores. There's also quite a lot of greenery, parks, two rivers, maze like back streets and temples. Also good for cycling and walking.

kinuta-park_1.jpg

P1000850.jpg

Edited by kinuta

That's pretty pathetic... I guess everything over half a mile is beyond walkability in the US or what?

My place gets a 40 only, but I consider everything I need within walking distance - at least three grocery stores, farmacies, drug stores, coffeess, one of the pizza restaurants in town, fancy bars (which I don't visit), sushi and mexican places (which I don't visit, either), etc etc. The site does contain some relevant hits for my neighbourhood, but it misses at least half of them... anyway, depends how you define "walkable", really... sometimes I prefer walking home on weekends or evenings, even if that means I'm walking for 40 or 45 minutes. So with that range and the neatness of Zurich, I'm easily in walking distance from the town centre :)

on a closer look, I see I'm surrounded by yoga schools... ouch! looks like a promotion map where those who care enter their details... almost everything of any relevance is not listed - thank you google, you do a great job, very reliable! too bad so many people are so dumb and actually do rely on google (and wiki).

also only a 40 for me; but they list the nearest grocery store at 30 km when it's in fact 50 meters; similarly the japanese bookstore 60 km from here in Düsseldorf is not the best option for books (meaning the miss all the bookstores here as well as in Cologne ?!)