How is all this financial craziness affecting you...

Iceland aside, the UK is probably the most exposed of Western European countries

Not correct. Ireland for one is much more exposed.

The UK had a serious recession in 1979-82 (as did the US) and although it was an ordeal, the country pulled through it. Unfortunately, lots of people (both in North America and in Europe) have yet to go through one of these events and it will be a learning experience for them. Most of us will grit our teeth, get on with our jobs and come through it. As we did last time. And the time before that.

Anti-US parties have traditionally never got anywhere in the UK as most people still view the US as our main ally. The lessons of the two World Wars of the 20th Century only reinforce this. The main trading links are in Europe - for sure - but the deep bond with North America remains. Having said that, I suspect that the influence of the US on business/banking over here will diminish considerably.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my investment statement a few days ago and damn! Big losses with the bottom nowhere in sight.

It could be ugly... I am inclined to think that unless you absolutely need to tap into your savings in the next decade, it's best just to grit your teeth and sit tight with a well-diversified portfolio. The worst thing to do at this point is to engage in some panic selling. Of course, I am just an economist, not an investment expert.

Guy

Maybe you're not, but it's pretty obvious that the only reason to sell at this point is to lock in your losses.

I just got my investment statement a few days ago and damn! Big losses with the bottom nowhere in sight.

It could be ugly... I am inclined to think that unless you absolutely need to tap into your savings in the next decade, it's best just to grit your teeth and sit tight with a well-diversified portfolio. The worst thing to do at this point is to engage in some panic selling. Of course, I am just an economist, not an investment expert.

Guy

Maybe you're not, but it's pretty obvious that the only reason to sell at this point is to lock in your losses.

On the other hand, if you are feeling frisky, you can go short in Yen and invest the proceeds in a basket of Rand, Lira, and Real and Kiwi Dollar. :)

Guy

Guy

On the other hand, if you are feeling frisky, you can go short in Yen and invest the proceeds in a basket of Rand, Lira, and Real and Kiwi Dollar. :)

Guy

My Missus bought a big load of Rand the other day at a very good rate - she's not going on holiday until February. She'll be gutted if the rand goes down more in the next few months.

MG

Guy

Guy

My Missus bought a big load of Rand the other day at a very good rate - she's not going on holiday until February. She'll be gutted if the rand goes down more in the next few months.

MG

Randissimo!

Guy

Guy

MG

Randissimo!

:g

MG

From an e-mail a friend sent to me back on Feb. 2, 2007:

"Also, the derivatives market will bring down civilization when it collapses. You heard it here first."

Too bad he couldn't have been in touch with Paulson and Bernanke.

a friend told me yesterday derivatives and banking will be back the way we know them 10 years from now but consulting firms like mckinsey will collapse next and never come back

(and late last week i spoke to a guy who had graduated in financial engineering that day... he said he had always thought anybody trying to use the stuff he learned in practice must be completely crazy... )