Jackie McLean "One Step Beyond" RVG

whiskeycat

Per JETMan's suggestion, I emailed the folks over at Mosaic and just got a response back from Michael Cuscuna.

Here is what he had to say:

I got your message through the Mosaic email regarding the Jackie McLean CD. Yes, due to a digital mystery a secton of the first tune jumped to the beginning of the fourth or fifth tune on the PMCD sent to the plant. It was caught rather quickly and all CDs were recalled from stores and vendors, but I guess a few got sold. It has long since been corrected. Anyone with a bad copy should take it to where they bought it and get a new one.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per JETMan's suggestion, I emailed the folks over at Mosaic and just got a response back from Michael Cuscuna.

Here is what he had to say:

I got your message through the Mosaic email regarding the Jackie McLean CD. Yes, due to a digital mystery a secton of the first tune jumped to the beginning of the fourth or fifth tune on the PMCD sent to the plant. It was caught rather quickly and all CDs were recalled from stores and vendors, but I guess a few got sold. It has long since been corrected. Anyone with a bad copy should take it to where they bought it and get a new one.

How do you do that without a receipt? My receipt is MIA after such a long wait.

Agreed. The store I bought mine at has a strict "no returns" policy. Even if I do still have my receipt, they're not going to take it back.

And really, why should they? It wasn't their mistake. Blue Note should be fixing this directly, not dumping the responsibility on the stores or the buyers who purchased the defective CDs in good faith.

If that's really their only response, then it's very poor customer service.

Well... yeah. Has anyone yet had the 'long since corrected' disk? Since the digital downloads were and still are affected by this (as can be discerned fromn the reported track durations on itunes) I'm not sure the PMCD explanation covers it.

For those of us who want the fixed disk (and didn't buy the dud) how do we know what we are buying...? Still, at least we can begin to hope!

Agreed. The store I bought mine at has a strict "no returns" policy. Even if I do still have my receipt, they're not going to take it back.

And really, why should they? It wasn't their mistake. Blue Note should be fixing this directly, not dumping the responsibility on the stores or the buyers who purchased the defective CDs in good faith.

If that's really their only response, then it's very poor customer service.

I agree, this is not a great solution. It's not the way this was handled in the past. I can imagine that the downsized EMI staffing has had an impact.

I've ordered a copy from yourmusic and will see what happens. I can give away the defective one to someone who won't mind. :)

So...I just hurried down to the store where I purchased the CD originally with the mistake. They had one sealed copy in the store and the guy behind the counter was very helpful and understanding of the situation. He let me open the sealed copy and check it out on the store's headphones. Well...guess what? It had the same error!!!

AHHHHHH!!!! :angry:

This is getting very frustrating. I emailed Michael Cuscuna back to explain the situation and see if I can maybe just mail back the defective one for one of the corrected copies he mentions. As soon as I hear back, I'll let you all know. I really don't want to keep running store to store to find a good copy that may or may not exist. This really isn't how this should work, especially since I've been trying to deal with this replacement since I bought the disc back in February!

... I really don't want to keep running store to store to find a good copy that may or may not exist. This really isn't how this should work, especially since I've been trying to deal with this replacement since I bought the disc back in February!

While this doesn't happen all the time to me, I've had a couple of similar problems. Honestly, this is one of the advantages of going through Amazon, as they are pretty good about replacing defective merchandise. And if it keeps happening over and over, they have a lot more leverage to lean on EMI (or Anchor Bay is a DVD manufacturer with a somewhat spotty reputation) to get it right. I think if it hadn't been for Amazon, we might never have gotten the corrected disc for the Glenn Gould set from Sony. With the disappearance of Tower and essential dissolution of Virgin, it's gotten even harder for bricks and mortar stores to keep the suppliers in line.

Believe it or not, J & R in New York has loads of pull with distributors! That's probably the reason why they were (and maybe still are) the best brick and mortar in NY as far as price and selection goes.

Could be. Certainly Walmart is now the 900-lb gorilla, though I think you can only get jazz on-line and not in the stores themselves. Probably after Walmart, it is Borders and Barnes & Noble (as troubled as they are).

Believe it or not, J & R in New York has loads of pull with distributors! That's probably the reason why they were (and maybe still are) the best brick and mortar in NY as far as price and selection goes.

I agree, But I note that they do not have any corrected copies of One Step Beyond and that is strange if the problem was fixed so long ago.

J&R knows nothing about any error corrected copies.

I called True BLue to ask about a replacement for a defective copy and they haven't returned my calls.

It has been 4 months now since this thing came out.

Is it just me or are you beginning to think that BLue Note is not intending to do anything for those of us who purchased defective copies?

Edited by skeith

I called True BLue to ask about a replacement for a defective copy and they haven't returned my calls.

Is it just me or are you beginning to think that BLue Note is not intending to do anything for those of us who purchased defective copies?

203-327-7111

They always answer the phone during business hours.

203-327-7111

They always answer the phone during business hours.

I only call during busniness hours: the problem isn't answering the phone - the problem is that the person whom I am told is handling this problem is not available to talk when I call and for whom I have left a message - does not seem to be able to get back to me.

After all these months, I finally got a corrected copy of "One Step Beyond". Took a long time, but I'm a happy guy!

What a great, great album.

:)

where? how?

I purchased it originally at Newbury Comics and even though I failed the first time, I decided to go to another location in the hopes that they had gotten in some newer, corrected copies. I could tell by the date on their stickering system that the copy they had came in long after the first one I bought...so I took a shot. It's tough because there is nothing on the CD that indicates that this is "version 2" or "corrected version" or anything. It's exactly the same.

First thing I did was check track 2, "Frankenstein", and the song itself started up right away...so I knew I was all set.

Mission Accomplished! :tup