Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

There are lot of drummer that I like but who belongs, IMO, to history like SUNNY MURRAY or HAN BENNINK (the clownish side of the dutch is completely hiding, nowadays, the incredible talent of the drummer).

I thought the same of Bennink till I heard him on Chat Room - a duo with Simon Nabatov on Leo. Bennink can still play wonderfully.

More drummers: I remember being quite amazed by Billy Kilson's work in Dave Holland's quintet when I saw them live. I have him on trio record with Tim Hagans - gotta revisit that disc.

Joe LaBarbera is very good (I'm thinking of his contribution to Anthony Ortega's "Scattered Clouds"); and Phil Haynes.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are lot of drummer that I like but who belongs, IMO, to history like SUNNY MURRAY or HAN BENNINK (the clownish side of the dutch is completely hiding, nowadays, the incredible talent of the drummer).

I thought the same of Bennink till I heard him on Chat Room - a duo with Simon Nabatov on Leo. Bennink can still play wonderfully.

To hear HAN BENNINK on record and to hear him live is two different things.

On record, when he is not in a "clownish" envirronement (like with CHADBOURNE, by example) he surely can play.

Live, I'm afraid that it is a lost cause. It seems that he is not able to refrain his exhibitionnism anymore.

Most of the concerts where he is involved that I've seen, turn to be a mess quickly, like a promising duo with COR FULHER few years ago who ended as a disaster.

Edited by P.L.M

To hear HAN BENNINK on record and to hear him live is two different things.

On record, when he is not in a "clownish" envirronement (like with CHADBOURNE, by example) he surely can play.

Live, I'm afraid that it is a lost cause. It seems that he is not able to refrain his exhibitionnism anymore.

Most of the concerts where he is involved that I've seen, turn to be a mess quickly, like a promising duo with COR FULHER few years ago who ended as a disaster.

I agree. I saw Bennink live with Misha Mengelberg several month ago, and all this clownship (at the detriment of music) was very disappointing.

Bennink with Fuhler indeed sounds potentially very interesting.

-----------------------

Plan to go to the following concert on Saturday:

> Boris Baltschun / Serge Baghdassarians

VARIATIONEN OHNE THEMA

> Lucio Capece / Axel Dörner DUO

Axel Dörner > Trompete

Lucio Capece > Bassklarinette, Sopransaxophon

Edited by Д.Д.

VARIATIONEN OHNE THEMA

Axel Dörner > Trompete

nice, I'd go check that out too. Lucio and Axel have a duo CD in the works on the Slovenian label l'innomable, nice stuff. Boris and Serge have recently released a few things, including a duo disc on Charhizma and a trio disc on Absinth with Burkhard Beins that I have yet to hear, sadly.

Guest Chaney

Here's something important...

HatHut Records has advised me that due to the falling value of the dollar, they are doing away with the mid- line priced CDs. Starting July 1st, all CDs now priced at $9.99 will be raised to $19.99! We recommend you stock up during the month of June.

Finally, the Ictus Records 30th Anniversary 12-CD Boxed Set is now in stock. It is easily the nicest boxed set of the year. Mention this email for $10.00 off the set!

Best wishes,

Alan Lawrence

The Jazz Loft

http://www.jazzloft.com

Guest Chaney

VARIATIONEN OHNE THEMA

Axel Dörner > Trompete

How were the shows? (Especially the Dorner. Is there a better trumpet player around today? Love Dorner.)

David, how was the Brotz gang? They got quite a good review here!

On Bennink: I saw the ICP orchestra last november and that was one of the most beautiful concerts I've seen of late... Bennink did not clown around at all.

How about Michael Vatcher? I thought he was wonderful with Michael Moore and Lindsay Horner when I saw them with their Dylan outfit, "Jewels and Binocculars".

Guest Chaney

nice, I'd go check that out too. Lucio and Axel have a duo CD in the works on the Slovenian label l'innomable, nice stuff. Boris and Serge have recently released a few things, including a duo disc on Charhizma and a trio disc on Absinth with Burkhard Beins that I have yet to hear, sadly.

I recently received the trio disk on Absinth. After one listen, interesting. I think I'll learn to like this one. (Also picked up on Absinth: Alessandro Bosetti / Michel Doneda: Breath On The Floor; Axel Dorner / Robin Hayward: dörner/hayward duo; and Activity Center & Phil Minton. David commented favorably on the packaging of these. Really very nice, vinyl 45 size, stitched top and bottom. Pleasing to the eye and friendly to the touch.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Disappointing was:

cr23.jpg

Jon Mueller, Bhob Rainey & Jim Schoenecker

Wonderful is:

thanks_cash_crop1.jpg

On Sedimental, can't recommend this one highly enough. Axel Doerner/Greg Kelley/Andrea Neumann/Bhob Rainey. For some odd reason, I'm reminded of Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy, and how on that release every sound seems to be essential and inevitable. Same here. Constantly changing but always sounding right. Nice sound on this disk, with a very wide and deep sound stage. Your system will be given a good workout, with some of the low tones generated by Dorner on computer(?). Also of note: none of those eardrum-piercing electronic shrieks all too common with eai, at least in my limited experience.

"There are any number of fine, dark passages, as when Doerner (on laptop) lays down a low rumble, with Kelley finding softly popping sounds and Neumann delicately plucking her innenklavier. It’s as moody, atmospheric and cinematic an effect as you’re likely to find in this area of music. The entire piece undulates with an eely naturalness that sustains strong dramatic tension even as one wants to concentrate on the pure sounds. Very effective. The second, longest, track picks up where the previous one left off, slowly developing a furious maelstrom of wind, breath and screams. Here, as occasionally elsewhere, Rainey allows his soprano to roam into relatively recognizable territory and it works quite well.There’s a marvelous moment, beginning about 15 minutes in, where Neumann (I’m guessing—perhaps Doerner on laptop), initiates a vast, downward-moving throb of sound. Accompanied by staticky detritus and quietly moaning horns, the effect is stunning, swerving into an area as unexpected as it is lusciously verdant."

-B. Olenwick, Bagatellen

Wonderful stuff. Anyone else have this one?

~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone know anything of the current fiscal health of A Bruit Secret?

Edited by Chaney

Wonderful is:

thanks_cash_crop1.jpg

On Sedimental, can't recommend this one highly enough. Axel Doerner/Greg Kelley/Andrea Neumann/Bhob Rainey. For some odd reason, I'm reminded of Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy, and how on that release every sound seems to be essential and inevitable. Same here. Constantly changing but always sounding right. Nice sound on this disk, with a very wide and deep sound stage. Your system will be given a good workout, with some of the low tones generated by Dorner on computer(?). Also of note: none of those eardrum-piercing electronic shrieks all too common with eai, at least in my limited experience.

"There are any number of fine, dark passages, as when Doerner (on laptop) lays down a low rumble, with Kelley finding softly popping sounds and Neumann delicately plucking her innenklavier. It’s as moody, atmospheric and cinematic an effect as you’re likely to find in this area of music. The entire piece undulates with an eely naturalness that sustains strong dramatic tension even as one wants to concentrate on the pure sounds. Very effective. The second, longest, track picks up where the previous one left off, slowly developing a furious maelstrom of wind, breath and screams. Here, as occasionally elsewhere, Rainey allows his soprano to roam into relatively recognizable territory and it works quite well.There’s a marvelous moment, beginning about 15 minutes in, where Neumann (I’m guessing—perhaps Doerner on laptop), initiates a vast, downward-moving throb of sound. Accompanied by staticky detritus and quietly moaning horns, the effect is stunning, swerving into an area as unexpected as it is lusciously verdant."

-B. Olenwick, Bagatellen

Wonderful stuff. Anyone else have this one?

Yes, and it gets an enthusiastic recommendation from me as well.

A Bruit Secret: I believe Michel Henritzi announced a while back he was ceasing operations.

Thanks, Cash: I set up the NYC show for this quartet, which was just before 9/11 (they actually did a show that night, in Colorado). I don't think the horn-heavy lineup showcases the musicians very well, I personally prefer the nmperign duo as part of a trio, with Jason Lescalleet, Le Quan Ninh (amazing live trio) or Gunter Muller.

there's a new double CD on Intransitive from the trio of nmperign (Kelley/Rainey, in case anyone doesn't know) and Lescalleet, Love Me Two Times, a very ambitious statement I'm still trying to get my head around, but which is decidedly recommended nonetheless (if only for its ambition, something sadly lacking in most improvised music releases these days).

Guest Chaney

Nmperign

The Stylus Interview Series: Nmperign

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Fascinating to watch this stuff. I would have guessed this to be partly electronic but, amazingly, it's all acoustic.

The Sealed Knot 1 The Sealed Knot 2

~~~~~~~~~~

The Unofficial Tod Dockstader Web Site -- Check out the Music tab.

~~~~~~~~~~

logo.gif

PRICES / SPECIAL SALE / JUNE 2006

During the whole month of June 2006, prices are :

Back catalogue single CDs at 12 euros.

The Contest of Pleasures's new release Albi Days (P205) remains at 15 euros.

Double CD is at 15 euros.

Above prices include postage worldwide.

Edited by Chaney

Even with the free shipping I think Potlatch titles are less expensive through Erstwhile, unless you were just buying one disc.

I'm still making my way through the Georg Graewe discs I bought during Chuck's sale on Okka disks. Up now is the Anthony Braxton / Graewe - Duo (Amsterdam) 1991. Another excellent disc.

After that one I'll be spinning Evan Parker & Joe McPhee - Chicago Tenor Duets and Dave Rempis & Tim Daisy - Back to the Circle for the first time.

I thought the Daisy/Rempis duets were very nice. Clean clean playing from both of them. Very focused and engaging throughout. I really enjoyed listening to the two of them together.

Of the Okkas I purchased this time around, I have listened to the Jeb Bishop Trio/Quartet album Afternoons the most. I especially like the ensemble sound of the quartet.

After that one I'll be spinning Evan Parker & Joe McPhee - Chicago Tenor Duets and Dave Rempis & Tim Daisy - Back to the Circle for the first time.

I thought the Daisy/Rempis duets were very nice. Clean clean playing from both of them. Very focused and engaging throughout. I really enjoyed listening to the two of them together.

I am less than enamoured of Rempis playing - I found him thoroughly trite. Same for Daisy.

Evan Parker / Joe McPhee duo, on the other hand, is very impressive - some of the best recent Evan Parker playing on record - and McPhee is at least just as good here.

I still owe you a report on excellent Dörner/Capece concert - some time later.

As I've said a number of times, I really like the Parker/McPhee duo disc. I haven't heard the Daisy/Rempis disc but the couple of times I saw Daisy live, with the Vandermark 5, I didn't think he had sufficient control over what he was playing and, as a seperate matter, I didn't like what he was playing much. A host of musicians who hire or play with him seem to think otherwise, though, and I am happy to hear that he has since improved and is able to play clean.

Edited by gnhrtg

Yeah Daisy seems to me to be getting better--didn't like his work on Airports for Light much (esp. the "jazz" drumming), but subsequent releases & a couple of live concerts have convinced me he's doing interesting things. Though I still find his straight jazz drumming a little mechanical & antsy. The duo with Rempis is quite good, if not earthshattering.

The Evan Parker/Joe McPhee disc is great stuff. Never heard the trio with Daunik Lazro--how's it compare? Anyone?

Back to drummers: Anybody here familiar with Brit Paul Hession?

HESSION is mostly known for his association with SIMON H. FELL in different trio publish mostly by FELL 's label, BRUCE'S FINGERS.

Any other Hession recommendations?

- HESSION/ WILKINSON/ FELL: FOOM! FOOM!

- HESSION/ WHARF/ FELL: IMPROVABILILLY

- SOMETHING ELSE (BECK/ FELL/ HESSION): START MOVING EARBUDS

All on the BF label.

All excellent, particularly the first and the third.

And speaking of drummers, Jazz Loft has the following percussion disks on sale at $6.66 each:

hat105.jpghat111.jpghat129.jpghat130.jpg

Any opinions on these?

Tony, I have all of these. I remmebr liking them all a lot. I would not remmeber now which is which, but all really good stuff - and very different from each other.

In general, as with hatOLOGY, you would normally be safe buying any hat[now]ART stuff.

Edited by Д.Д.