MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crap! Joe Martinez of the Giants took a line drive right in the head! I hope he's okay, he walked off, but he was bleeding big time from head and nose.

Yeah...I hope he'll be OK, too. Website says he'll be alright.

Giants win, 7-1.

Hit him in the side of the head, made blood gush out of his nose. He's gotta have a concussion at a minimum, right?

Crap! Joe Martinez of the Giants took a line drive right in the head! I hope he's okay, he walked off, but he was bleeding big time from head and nose.

The update from ESPN:

SAN DIEGO -- San Francisco Giants pitcher Joe Martinez has a concussion and three small fractures in his head after being hit by a line drive.

The rookie reliever was stable and alert in a San Francisco hospital Friday, and the Giants said the right-hander was expected to make a full recovery. Martinez will remain hospitalized for observation over the next three or four days.

Martinez was struck by Mike Cameron's line drive on Thursday night, and sustained hairline fractures on the right side of his face. The accident occurred with two outs in the ninth inning of the Giants' 7-1 win over Milwaukee.

The Giants put Martinez on the 15-day disabled list and purchased the contract of right-hander Justin Miller from the minors.

That was a scary hit he took...

The update from ESPN:

SAN DIEGO -- San Francisco Giants pitcher Joe Martinez has a concussion and three small fractures in his head after being hit by a line drive.

The rookie reliever was stable and alert in a San Francisco hospital Friday, and the Giants said the right-hander was expected to make a full recovery. Martinez will remain hospitalized for observation over the next three or four days.

Martinez was struck by Mike Cameron's line drive on Thursday night, and sustained hairline fractures on the right side of his face. The accident occurred with two outs in the ninth inning of the Giants' 7-1 win over Milwaukee.

The Giants put Martinez on the 15-day disabled list and purchased the contract of right-hander Justin Miller from the minors.

That was a scary hit he took...

He is being kept in the hospital for up to four days to make sure he doesn't have a delayed-reaction injury, such as that which killed actor Natasha Richardson after a ski accident.

the great thing about baseball is that its an escape form so much crap that goes on in the world but after the last couple days it also seems so meaningless.

Martinez was struck by Mike Cameron's line drive on Thursday night, and sustained hairline fractures on the right side of his face.

That's something else that it was Cameron. In 2005 he was in that awful OF collision with Beltran. He suffered a concussion and multiple fractures of the cheekbones & nose.

One of these days a pitcher isn't going to be as "lucky" as Martinez was.

Meanwhile, The [evil] Zito is pitching for the Giants.

Giants are losing 3-0, got the side out with the bases loaded....in the first friggin' inning. Now don't give me that shit about how the batters don't support their pitchers, OK?

Barry Zito SUCKS.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Looks like MLB Extra Innings is free this weekend on DirecTV.....I'm getting all sorts of games this evening.

They've been doing the free preview for a week, since Opening Day. I believe they'll do it again at the start of the second half of the season.

Mark Texeira's hitting .214 for the Yanks after three games against the team at whom he thumbed his nose for big Yankee money. Love it, love it, love it!

Al,

I don't want to knock any of the gilt off your early season lilly, but Texeira is a notoriously slow starter. If this goes on into May, we'll need to talk again. I still think this guy is a solid as they come. He's 29, has the right attitude to be successful in New York and I think is poised to have a kick ass run in pinstripes.

Up over and out.

Looks like MLB Extra Innings is free this weekend on DirecTV.....I'm getting all sorts of games this evening.

Baseball looks great in HD!!! We;ve had it for a few weeks now.

I was able to buy Extra Innings for the first time this year, and it's been great. The team I follow are the Mariners, I mean the division leading Mariners, and it is very good when it comes to following out of town favorites. For some reason, I've lost any feeling I ever had for the Dodgers, just don't care for them anymore, their games rank way below Seattle's.

Edited by Matthew

What in the world was Josh Beckett thinking yesterday? Throwing the ball at Abrau's head like that? I'm surprised by such a classless move by Beckett, he's better than that.

Have you ever seen someone retaliate for calling timeout like that in the same moment? I don't know how you do that. Watch the video. He goes back and forth, freezing the runner, looking in, he turns away - facing third base - and goes into his motion as the umpire jumps away. Did he intend to throw a high hard one and it happened to not count because the ump had granted time out? Everything happened at the same time - ump jumps away, Beckett is in his motion and throwing. If Beckett's pitch was a half a second later, I'd say yes, he did it intentionally - because he had time to alter the spot he was aiming for. But it wasn't. He went into his motion at the same time that the umpire was jumping away. I don't think its possible to make such an adjustment so quickly.

Pedro is famous for retaliating against hitters who call timeout at the last instant.

I never ever saw him do it simultaneously. Always later in the at-bat or the game.

Beckett said afterwards, "It could have gone anywhere".

Which is certainly true - it happened to Lester in his first start, the ball went straight up and over the plate. A little lower, a little to the side, we'd be accusing Lester of head hunting? Probably not, because he doesn't have Beckett's reputation for hyper sensitivity or hyper competitiveness.

Sorry, not buying it in the least :beee: Looking at what happened, it probably would not have any gotten bigger if the home plate umpire would have handled it better, he seems to have been caught by surprise by everything. Tori Hunter was saying that what got him pissed-off on the field was stuff that the ump was saying. Hummmmmm... that's interesting, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was said.

Sorry, not buying it in the least :beee: Looking at what happened, it probably would not have any gotten bigger if the home plate umpire would have handled it better, he seems to have been caught by surprise by everything. Tori Hunter was saying that what got him pissed-off on the field was stuff that the ump was saying. Hummmmmm... that's interesting, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was said.

Oh come on Beckett was not throwing at him i agree with what Dan said.

I think the ump was probably saying that the timeout was too late ...In fact they give out waaaay too many time outs tell the batter to get in the box and stay there till they throw the pitch.

Also Abreu didn't move usually the batter backs up far from the plate after calling time out.

Oh come on Beckett was not throwing at him i agree with what Dan said.

I think the ump was probably saying that the timeout was too late ...In fact they give out waaaay too many time outs tell the batter to get in the box and stay there till they throw the pitch.

Also Abreu didn't move usually the batter backs up far from the plate after calling time out.

The batter doesn't back away until the ump grants the time out. We're talking about a matter of probably one second between the time the TO was called and the delivery of the pitch.

I love the way that woman (forget her name) on First Take referred to the little discussion they had as a bench-clearing "brawl" this morning. :rolleyes:

I thought I heard them say Beckett got a one-start suspension. If he did, was it for the throw or for leaving the mound?