MLB 2009 Season

Beckett gone for 6 games

Even though I don't like what Beckett did, and he strikes me as a little too "figjam" for me, this is a raw deal for Boston & Beckett.

Its only one start, not a big deal, its a little more for starting pitchers so they don't just switch rotation slots. I personally think it should be more like 14 days if you want to put a stop to things like that.

Edited by WorldB3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its complete bullshit. How does Watson determine that he intended to throw at him when four umpires decided that he didn't? And on top of that, he didn't hit him, and he gets six games! what if he had hit him? 20?

This is complete and utter bullshit.

He didn't do any favors for himself by escalating it afterwards.

From what I gather Beckett sent him a message pitch old school style and I think the head office sent a message to make sure the situation doesn't escalate. You can bitch about the MLB becoming sissyfied but don't tell me Beckett is not at fault. Its one start, if a position player charged the mound they can get multiple days. Not a big deal and if it helps to cool the situation then its good for the league.

Edited by WorldB3

He didn't do any favors for himself by escalating it afterwards.

From what I gather Beckett sent him a message pitch old school style and I think the head office sent a message to make sure the situation doesn't escalate. You can bitch about the MLB becoming sissyfied but don't tell me Beckett is not at fault. Its one start, if a position player charged the mound they can get multiple days. Not a big deal and if it helps to cool the situation then its good for the league.

Nice pun.

Up over and out.

One last item on Harry the K. - then I promise to stop. Great article from Jayson Stark which pretty accurately describes what I'm feeling right now.

So here is what people like me, people who have lived most of our lives in Philadelphia, are wondering on this sad and tragic day:

How are we going to do this?

How are we going to go on in a world with no more "outta heres?"

How do we fill the unfillable void that will hang over us forever now as we try to contemplate life, and baseball, without Kalas?

Can't be done. Can it?

The games will go on. The sport will go on. Voices will crackle out of our TV speakers. That's the way it has to work. That's the way it has always worked.

But we don't have to pretend it will ever be the same, because when you've spent 6,000 nights, over four decades, listening to Harry Kalas put his inimitable stamp on a baseball game, it's way too simple to say baseball will never sound the same.

Baseball in Philadelphia will never be the same.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=4066189

One last item on Harry the K. - then I promise to stop. Great article from Jayson Stark which pretty accurately describes what I'm feeling right now.

So here is what people like me, people who have lived most of our lives in Philadelphia, are wondering on this sad and tragic day:

How are we going to do this?

How are we going to go on in a world with no more "outta heres?"

How do we fill the unfillable void that will hang over us forever now as we try to contemplate life, and baseball, without Kalas?

Can't be done. Can it?

The games will go on. The sport will go on. Voices will crackle out of our TV speakers. That's the way it has to work. That's the way it has always worked.

But we don't have to pretend it will ever be the same, because when you've spent 6,000 nights, over four decades, listening to Harry Kalas put his inimitable stamp on a baseball game, it's way too simple to say baseball will never sound the same.

Baseball in Philadelphia will never be the same.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=4066189

Keep posting them! It's hard when a longtime announcer passes, you listen to them for so long you feel a bond to them. Everyone expects this to be Vin Scully's last year, and I can't imagine a Dodger game without Scully. It's hard for me to believe, but I'm 50, and I've listened to Scully all my life. The Dodgers, without Vinny, are not going to be the same. It's like the Lakers, without Chick Hern, it's just not that same.

How much more brutally incompetent baseball before we officially determine the 2009 Red Sox to be this year's version of the 2008 Tigers.

And to top it off, it took two disastrous starts for Dice-K to go on the D.L.

FUCK Bud Selig and the WBC with a white hot poker!

How much more brutally incompetent baseball before we officially determine the 2009 Red Sox to be this year's version of the 2008 Tigers.

And to top it off, it took two disastrous starts for Dice-K to go on the D.L.

FUCK Bud Selig and the WBC with a white hot poker!

It's only 8 games.

Last night when Dice K was warming up I noticed that he grimaced a few times while throwing are they sure its only fatigue ?

Also Remy questioned his right hip saying that Dice K was grabbing at it?....i dunno i didn't see this unless thats why he was grimacing in the bullpen.

I'm sure we can find a quote from Jim Leyland that "its only been eight games" last April.

As for Dice-K, its obvious they knew something was up. The Globe says that Tito or the pitching coach told Masterson that he'd be called on first out of the bullpen and "to be ready". They knew going in that Matsuzaka was likely to suck donkey dicks.

I'm sure we can find a quote from Jim Leyland that "its only been eight games" last April.

As for Dice-K, its obvious they knew something was up. The Globe says that Tito or the pitching coach told Masterson that he'd be called on first out of the bullpen and "to be ready". They knew going in that Matsuzaka was likely to suck donkey dicks.

Call the Marlins and get Hanley Ramirez that is what they were talking about last week on EEI. I would pull the trigger and send Bucholz ,Ellsbury and anyone else the Marlins need for Ramirez.

And this will happen sooner than you think , the owners will not sit around and watch this anemic offense.

The pitching will come around , Masterson looked great last night .

Wakefield is throwing a No Hitter into the 7th inning !

He only threw 39 pitches in the first 5 innings.

You jixed it!!

No I didn't , Nick Green ( who the hell is Nick Green?) just made an incredible catch behind second base!!

Wake is 6 outs away !

Edited by zen archer

Earth to Dan, get off the ledge. Jim Leyland didn't have the deepest pitching staff in baseball last year. The offense will be fine (see Drew just hit a home run). The Red Sox going in this year are still the team to beat. When they go on a 2-22 run and are 20 games out of the WC then you can write them off. Teams that aren't expected to do anything that get off to bad starts need to worry.

I think anything less than going 162-0 with the Yankees going 0-162 would make you happy. Whatever.

not anymore.

Wake has pitched one of the best games I have ever seen by him . It's interesting they said he has carried a No Hitter into

the 8th inning 4 other times.

Geez the Fans behind the Red Sox dugout just gave him a standing ovation at the end of the inning and everyone is wearing Red .

Do the A's have fans ?

not anymore.

Do the A's have fans ?

yes but the fans are in wait and see mode and torn between supporting the players but not wanting to give the owner their money who has made it clear he hates Oakland and the fans that support the team. I am torn myself as I think the team is worth watching but I don't want my money going to Lew Wolff because I hate him. That and the recession hit Oakland pretty hard.

Earth to Dan, get off the ledge. Jim Leyland didn't have the deepest pitching staff in baseball last year. The offense will be fine (see Drew just hit a home run). The Red Sox going in this year are still the team to beat. When they go on a 2-22 run and are 20 games out of the WC then you can write them off. Teams that aren't expected to do anything that get off to bad starts need to worry.

I think anything less than going 162-0 with the Yankees going 0-162 would make you happy. Whatever.

The fact is that the team looked awful before Wake's remarkable day, and with the Yankees and Rays being so good, there is basically no margin for error to avoid being the "great" team from the AL East that doesn't make it to the playoff dance.

Furthermore, if they don't get their act straight and find themselves, say, a Yankee-esque 11-18, who knows how this team will respond? Its the Yankees that have started slow and with Torre at the helm, kept their calm professional attitude. The Red Sox haven't spent a season chasing in quite a while. They've almost always started out strong then faded into the wild card (in 2004 they were mediocre until Nomar was traded and then got very hot).