MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how you'd do if you just took the over for every game at Yankee Launchpad?

Can't wait for the Rangers to drop by. :eye: :eye: What other teams are going to likely hit well there? (other than the Yankees .... :rofl: )

They were saying on the Fox broadcast yesterday that when the old stadium comes down next door, the ball might carry even more in that park.

They were saying on the Fox broadcast yesterday that when the old stadium comes down next door, the ball might carry even more in that park.

Which doesn't really make sense, if you consider the alignment of the stadiums:

16shadow.500.jpg

There's no way the wind carries out to right field any different than it used to, nor would the building next door have anything to do with wind patterns in that direction.

The reality, however, is that while the Yankees claim to have duplicated the dimensions of the old stadium, its simply not true. They duplicated the measurements at the old markers, but right field out to right center is shorter, plus the wall is shorter too:

nys_vs_rys_overlay.jpg

I created this by using actual prints from the new stadium, and by using high resolution satellite photos for the old stadium. You may have heard that the dimensions at the new park are the same as the old park, but that is not strictly true. In certain spots the distances are the same or similar, but there are significant differences in the fence line. As you can see in the diagram, most of right field is shorter in the new park, by as much as 9 feet, but more typically by 4-5 feet (the blue dotted lines in the corners are scale markings that are 4 feet apart.) In center field, the new park is actually a bit deeper, and in left field, the parks are very similar. From some analysis I’ve done on home runs, these differences would tend to increase home runs overall, and particularly in middle-to-lower power hitters.

That's from the Hit Tracker website, via the Was Watching blog. Hit Tracker has concluded that the balls appear to be a bit more juiced this year, neutralizing for atmospheric conditions.

If the data is correct and Yankee Stadium will play smaller than the park it replaced, and the balls are juiced, I think its a bad thing for the Yankees, overall. I think there will be quite a few games blown up by the No-Name Bullpen, and its also possible that as the weather warms up, even the better members of the staff will be victimized by some cheapie home runs. It will put more pressure on the aging lineup to put runs on the board. If Posada and Matsui don't do their jobs, it could indeed be a long year in the Bronx.

What an f-ing aggravating game that turned out to be. What the fuck is the purpose of using video if they still get the fucking call wrong? Hitting the glove of a fan (if it did) shouldn't make it a home run, and otherwise it didn't reach the stands, now did it? It bounced off the top of the wall and back into the field. Of course in the end it doesn't matter after Cody Ransom's shattered bat double. I have never in my life seen a bat shatter like that, with only the handle in the guy's hand, and it carried 310 feet - at least not without some cork inside the bat.

Yanks stole one today. :excited::rmad:

What an f-ing aggravating game that turned out to be. What the fuck is the purpose of using video if they still get the fucking call wrong? Hitting the glove of a fan (if it did) shouldn't make it a home run, and otherwise it didn't reach the stands, now did it? It bounced off the top of the wall and back into the field. Of course in the end it doesn't matter after Cody Ransom's shattered bat double. I have never in my life seen a bat shatter like that, with only the handle in the guy's hand, and it carried 310 feet - at least not without some cork inside the bat.

Yanks stole one today. :excited::rmad:

Yep, fan interfered, no doubt. My first thought was, if that ruling had been made in the playoffs -- and against the home team -- we'd be looking at some major, major shit hitting the fan. A game in April, no real big deal (although I'm sure the Tribe doesn't feel that way). But try Game 7 of the ALCS ... or World Series. :o

Rays are stinking up the joint. That offensive outburst against the Yankees in the home opener was an anomaly, apparently. Offense looks punchless. Pitching isn't getting it done either. Bring up Price!!

Didn't realize it until Gammons mentioned it tonight, but the Jays lost over 30 games last year where their pitching staff allowed 3 or fewer runs. Should have been a tipoff that if they could muster any kind of offense this year, they might make a move. Could be one of the surprise teams that hangs around.

Which doesn't really make sense, if you consider the alignment of the stadiums:

16shadow.500.jpg

There's no way the wind carries out to right field any different than it used to, nor would the building next door have anything to do with wind patterns in that direction.

Maybe Ransom's broken-bat fly into the left-field corner lands in the bleachers once the old building's gone. :crazy::g

Edited by papsrus

Didn't realize it until Gammons mentioned it tonight, but the Jays lost over 30 games last year where their pitching staff allowed 3 or fewer runs. Should have been a tipoff that if they could muster any kind of offense this year, they might make a move. Could be one of the surprise teams that hangs around.

The problem with the Jays is that most of the pitchers that helped them achieve that level of pitching last year are on the D.L. (McGowan, Litsch, there's someone else I think) or gone (Burnett). And most of them will be gone all year. I don't think its fair to expect the pitchers aside from Halladay to keep it up.

The problem with the Jays is that most of the pitchers that helped them achieve that level of pitching last year are on the D.L. (McGowan, Litsch, there's someone else I think) or gone (Burnett). And most of them will be gone all year. I don't think its fair to expect the pitchers aside from Halladay to keep it up.

Good point. And it's still early.