MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, not buying it in the least :beee: Looking at what happened, it probably would not have any gotten bigger if the home plate umpire would have handled it better, he seems to have been caught by surprise by everything. Tori Hunter was saying that what got him pissed-off on the field was stuff that the ump was saying. Hummmmmm... that's interesting, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was said.

Oh come on Beckett was not throwing at him i agree with what Dan said.

I think the ump was probably saying that the timeout was too late ...In fact they give out waaaay too many time outs tell the batter to get in the box and stay there till they throw the pitch.

Also Abreu didn't move usually the batter backs up far from the plate after calling time out.

The batter doesn't back away until the ump grants the time out. We're talking about a matter of probably one second between the time the TO was called and the delivery of the pitch.

Well you have never seen Julio Lugo call time out he practically runs out of the batters box into the visitors dugout while calling for a timeout !!!!!!

Sorry, not buying it in the least :beee: Looking at what happened, it probably would not have any gotten bigger if the home plate umpire would have handled it better, he seems to have been caught by surprise by everything. Tori Hunter was saying that what got him pissed-off on the field was stuff that the ump was saying. Hummmmmm... that's interesting, I wonder if we'll ever find out what was said.

I think the ump was probably saying that the timeout was too late ...In fact they give out waaaay too many time outs tell the batter to get in the box and stay there till they throw the pitch.

Also Abreu didn't move usually the batter backs up far from the plate after calling time out.

The batter doesn't back away until the ump grants the time out. We're talking about a matter of probably one second between the time the TO was called and the delivery of the pitch.

Well you have never seen Julio Lugo call time out he practically runs out of the batters box into the visitors dugout while calling for a timeout !!!!!!

:rofl:

:rofl:

Well, Lugo, he should run. I haven't read anything about Beckett being suspended, which is no way warranted, heck this would be a very minor matter if it wasn't for all the ejections. But, you never know, Beckett isn't one of the most popular players in the game -- he's taking over for Curt Schilling in more ways then one.

The local all news radio station is reporting that Hall of Fame broadcaster Harry Kalas has been taken to a Washington D.C. hospital. No further info is available but it is believed to be serious.

Edit: apparently he passed out in the broadcast booth. He had a heart procedure just 4 weeks ago.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Mark Texeira's hitting .214 for the Yanks after three games against the team at whom he thumbed his nose for big Yankee money. Love it, love it, love it!

Al,

I don't want to knock any of the gilt off your early season lilly, but Texeira is a notoriously slow starter.

I agree, but this is NY and slow starters are not suffered gladly. Especially $180-million slow-starters.

Meanwhile, the Rangers have surged right back down to .500. It was fun while it lasted.

Mark Texeira's hitting .214 for the Yanks after three games against the team at whom he thumbed his nose for big Yankee money. Love it, love it, love it!

Al,

I don't want to knock any of the gilt off your early season lilly, but Texeira is a notoriously slow starter.

I agree, but this is NY and slow starters are not suffered gladly. Especially $180-million slow-starters.

Meanwhile, the Rangers have surged right back down to .500. It was fun while it lasted.

I would love to be 500. Great idea by the A's to get swept at home by the Mariners before 3 with the Red Sox and a road trip to NY and Tampa.

One bad inning in each game cost them the sweep.

Boston fans don't know what pain is. Every fucking Bay Area team for the last 3 years (except Hockey which I don't follow)has been determined not eligible for the playoffs after the first two weeks of the season.

I guess Seattle has had it pretty bad with their college and pro teams the last few years also. Im done, screw em all.

Rest in Peace, Harry. You were the best announcer bar none and you will be missed.

Sorry about losing your man. He had such a classic voice. I mainly know him from his narration on NFL Films.

edited - Argh, Fidrych too? :(

Edited by Quincy

Cubs win. :)

We will be in Wrigley on Saturday to celebrate Carla's birthday and Ann bought a single for Friday while Carla's at work and I'm visiting Von Freeman.

Damn, tough choice: Von Freeman or the Cubbies? Not one I'd like to make! :)

It looked pretty frosty in Chicago today. I think I'd take indoors, drinking a beer, and listening to Freeman, myself.

Cubs win. :)

We will be in Wrigley on Saturday to celebrate Carla's birthday and Ann bought a single for Friday while Carla's at work and I'm visiting Von Freeman.

Damn, tough choice: Von Freeman or the Cubbies? Not one I'd like to make! :)

It looked pretty frosty in Chicago today. I think I'd take indoors, drinking a beer, and listening to Freeman, myself.

And Lilly had a no-hitter through 6 2/3. :tup

Meanwhile, Rays raise the AL banner in their home-opener and pound Wang and the Y-y-y-y-y-yankees but good. Wang's got an ERA somewhere around 28 now. :blink:

Rays are looking pretty nice so far. Hard to say anything this early, but if the offense continues like this, it'll be a huge improvement over last year. Longoria is tearing it up, Pena (unlike last year) is off to a pretty smooth start, Aki's ripping it, and Bartlett is hitting almost as well as Longoria. All good good good. And now with Upton back in the leadoff spot, they should be runnin' and gunnin' full speed.

They should be better this year all around, but hopefully especially on offense, and if early indications mean anything, they just might be a lot better on offense.

We'll see. Yankees should have a little fire in their bellies after the pasting they took Monday night.

It was so bad for the Yanks tonight that they pitched Nick Swisher for an inning at the end of the game. Given his line, maybe he should have started.

R.I.P. Bird. I was 18 when he had his big year in 1976. Although I've always been a Yankee fan, you couldn't help but follow this guy. Manicuring the mound with his bare hands...talking to the baseball. Boy, that was fun. The Tigers used to have another guy by the name of Kevin Saucier around that same time. He was a relief pitcher who used to strut off the mound after a good inning like Groucho Marx. He was also a flash in the pan. Lost his control completely ala Rick Ankiel.

Up over and out.

It was so bad for the Yanks tonight that they pitched Nick Swisher for an inning at the end of the game. Given his line, maybe he should have started.

R.I.P. Bird. I was 18 when he had his big year in 1976. Although I've always been a Yankee fan, you couldn't help but follow this guy. Manicuring the mound with his bare hands...talking to the baseball. Boy, that was fun. The Tigers used to have another guy by the name of Kevin Saucier around that same time. He was a relief pitcher who used to strut off the mound after a good inning like Groucho Marx. He was also a flash in the pan. Lost his control completely ala Rick Ankiel.

Up over and out.

I'm wondering what's wrong with Wang? He's gotten pounded both times out- I hope this isn't a trend...

I also enjoyed the Bird even though I'm a Yank fan. Baseball needs more characters.