new box set on Oscar Peterson Songbooks???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Ron... :excited:

Seems all the usual US distributors (e.g., Amazon, CDU, tower) don't have this in stock... And it seems to be ONLY available from our Canadian friends...

:unsure: :unsure:

I've never seen that happen before...

Edited by tranemonk

Seems all the usual US distributors (e.g., Amazon, CDU, tower) don't have this in stock... And it seems to be ONLY available from our Canadian friends...

It's part of the Canadian conspiracy for world domination.

It's part of the Canadian conspiracy for world domination.

South Park was right. To war!! :crazy:

greg mo

I wouldn't buy the Avid, I haven't been too impressed with the sound quality of the Avids I've had/heard.

I got the Verve set in the mail from Tower today. Excellent sound!

Thanks. That's what I thought... I can score the Avid for about $16 inc. shipping. There's my (slight) dilemma...

Ironically, after being so excited to get this set so quickly and cheaply ($32) I'm finding it kinda boring... :w

Well, to quote myself from about 10 days ago, "...these are very pleasant recordings, done for easy listening rather than stretching boundaries. I like 'em.."

I don't think they ever were intended or destined to be classics. Their individual releases were spaced out, remember, and they were listened to 20 minutes at a time, stacked on the old Collaro Continental changer with the Shearing and the Getz and maybe the Garner...

Listen to them that way again, or just have them playing while cooking dinner. They're fine. :)

Ironically, after being so excited to get this set so quickly and cheaply ($32) I'm finding it kinda boring... :w

Well, to quote myself from about 10 days ago, "...these are very pleasant recordings, done for easy listening rather than stretching boundaries. I like 'em.."

I don't think they ever were intended or destined to be classics. Their individual releases were spaced out, remember, and they were listened to 20 minutes at a time, stacked on the old Collaro Continental changer with the Shearing and the Getz and maybe the Garner...

Listen to them that way again, or just have them playing while cooking dinner. They're fine. :)

You guys may have a point. I've been listening to the Avid set on Spotify and it could be all I need. The Avid set is 10CDs and also contains JATP material, and sessions with Billie Holiday, and horns - some you're more likely to have elsewhere (Young, Webster) and the odd rarity (Flip Phillips).

I do think these Songbooks sessions have an interest though even if they may have been thrown off rather quickly.

They swing like mad! They're an excellent example of the sort of concentrated swing and masterful playing three incredible artists who've worked together can pull off and make look so easy.

I've started to torture myself by plugging in my Strat while these are playing and just pick out some melody lines. Well, at least I can get a good SOUND (the '59 Fender Bassman Reissue LTD amp lets me dial in a nice jazz sound). :) This is intensely well-conceived and executed stuff.

You guys may have a point. I've been listening to the Avid set on Spotify and it could be all I need. The Avid set is 10CDs and also contains JATP material, and sessions with Billie Holiday, and horns - some you're more likely to have elsewhere (Young, Webster) and the odd rarity (Flip Phillips).

I do think these Songbooks sessions have an interest though even if they may have been thrown off rather quickly.

There's another bootleg box that fills the gap between the Mosaic and the Brown/Thigpen set but duplicates quite some of the Mosaic, as well as the recent Verve Original of Basie material (with Buddy Rich added to the Ellis/Brown trio). It contains 6 CDs and was released on the United Archives label.

Amazon.de still lists it, but I got it considerably cheaper:

http://www.amazon.de/Complete-Songbooks-Os...4945&sr=1-1

It's nice to have, as some of the Songbooks with Kessel were filled up by tracks with Ellis and I guess it's rather unlikely that we get another Oscar Peterson Mosaic (I wrote them about it, nothing planned as of now, and I guess the existence of these various boot sets diminishes the chances...)

I'd like this set, but I also notice that the Avid version which includes way more stuff is available over here pretty cheaply. Any comment on the relative merits/demerits of this no doubt less original but cheap and inclusive set?

Are you aware that there is no overlap between these two sets? The new Canadian Verve box has the 1959 stereo albums with the drums trio, whereas the Avid set has the 1951-54 mono albums with the guitar trio.

I'd like this set, but I also notice that the Avid version which includes way more stuff is available over here pretty cheaply. Any comment on the relative merits/demerits of this no doubt less original but cheap and inclusive set?

Are you aware that there is no overlap between these two sets? The new Canadian Verve box has the 1959 stereo albums with the drums trio, whereas the Avid set has the 1951-54 mono albums with the guitar trio.

....AND, while one can't be a slave to the original owners these days, I guess, the new 5 disc set, and the Mosaic are legit! Is the Avid? <_< At 35 bucks or so for 5 discs, you can surely afford to be moral, and support the rights holder. :rolleyes:

....AND, while one can't be a slave to the original owners these days, I guess, the new 5 disc set, and the Mosaic are legit! Is the Avid? <_< At 35 bucks or so for 5 discs, you can surely afford to be moral, and support the rights holder. :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

and ohhhhhhhhhhh....

hmm...

Yeah the Avid benefits from current eurocopyright laws - hence over here its legit but likely based on less-than-ideal sources.

I don't know how they (grigorian.com) did it, but I got this boxed set in less than 30 hours in my mail box ... out in the boonies in the south-western-most corner of Germany. Very impressive. I wish everyone around the globe was that fast and reliable!

Because I had everything besides the unreleased material already (I have the old Verve CDs with the drumless trio and the Thigpen trio side by side), I just spent some time comparing sound (I used the Porter songbook) and am quite impressed. The new Canadian box is also good on the sonic side of things.

Glad I ordered this box although the packaging (sleeves) is poor. It's a budget-priced set, so it's good enough for that, mind you.

I'm glad I obtained the tracks I didn't have yet and my OP collection has had another glaring hole filled.

Thanks to everyone here who altered me to this set!

Cheers!

I don't know how they (grigorian.com) did it, but I got this boxed set in less than 30 hours in my mail box ... out in the boonies in the south-western-most corner of Germany. Very impressive. I wish everyone around the globe was that fast and reliable!

Because I had everything besides the unreleased material already (I have the old Verve CDs with the drumless trio and the Thigpen trio side by side), I just spent some time comparing sound (I used the Porter songbook) and am quite impressed. The new Canadian box is also good on the sonic side of things.

Glad I ordered this box although the packaging (sleeves) is poor. It's a budget-priced set, so it's good enough for that, mind you.

I'm glad I obtained the tracks I didn't have yet and my OP collection has had another glaring hole filled.

Thanks to everyone here who altered me to this set!

Cheers!

I'm diggin' it--just now finished the first disc! :w

Was it sent by mail or a courier service? I've been impressed by regular mail service lately -- maybe they're actually justifying the increased rates we've been paying.

L' Atelier Grigorian is a first-class operation, just four stores in Ontario, operated by the founder, Harmik Grigorian. They are attractive, well-laid shops with knowledgeable staff, specializing in Classical first, with Jazz a very close second. They have good international connections, and have lots of imports you don't find in most stores any longer...

I've not dealt with the online operation, so while I'm pleased that you've found them dependable, I'm not surprised. For anone interested: http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/main.php

Was it sent by mail or a courier service? I've been impressed by regular mail service lately -- maybe they're actually justifying the increased rates we've been paying.

The item was sent by mail ("Canada Post, 1 x 0.675kgs, Small Packets Surface, 1 to 3 months"). The postage was a bit stiff but well worth it at this speed.

I'll keep them on my bookmark list for dependable shops. Like you said, well-stocked on imports, so it's a place to check out for specialty items I might not be able to get elsewhere (anymore) or for unique items like the OP set that have not (yet?) appeared in Europe.

Edited by neveronfriday