Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

The Paris Combo, a wonderful cabaret-type French group that is quite jazz-oriented. Lead singer Belle du Berry is marvelous and behind her include David Lewis, a '50s Miles-inspired trumpeter and Potzi, a guitarist who is obviously inspired by Django. Ongoing study of French has led me to this group and you don't have to be expert in the language to appreciate their musicality.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Band!

Got this great box set with the finder's fee (I found a purse with more than 1000 CHF in it... got 10% for bringing it to the next police station a couple of weeks ago... went home and ordered this one...)

a_musical_history_wm.jpg

More info here: http://theband.hiof.no/albums/a_musical_history.html

Definitely one of the most amazing groups I've ever heard. Endlessly nuanced, highly musical, terrific songs, great singing (quite a variety, with Levon Helm, Rick Danko and Richard Manuel taking turns) - and Garth Hudson, too!

John Hicks, via his beautiful series of tributes to Pittsburgh-related pianists (all on the High Note label):

Something To Live For – A Billy Strayhorn Songbook

Nightwind – An Erroll Garner Songbook

Music In The Key Of Clark - Remembering Sonny Clark

Fatha’s Day – An Earl Hines Songbook

John Hicks, via his beautiful series of tributes to Pittsburgh-related pianists (all on the High Note label):

Something To Live For – A Billy Strayhorn Songbook

Nightwind – An Erroll Garner Songbook

Music In The Key Of Clark - Remembering Sonny Clark

Fatha’s Day – An Earl Hines Songbook

John Hick is a wonderful underrated piano player. "The Professor"

Saw him live 2 times at a Jazz Mobile show.

'The Band' were wonderful. I was only vaguely aware of them when they were functioning but began buying their albums in the early 80s.

I just found the single disc reissues of "The Band" and "Cahoots" and played both... continuing to be very, very excited!

Also picked up some Joni Mitchell and Ry Cooder. I've heard "Mingus" and some 90s stuff by Cooder (mostly the cuban albums, including the fun one with Manuel Galban). These will have to wait for my return from vacation in about two weeks, but I'm looking forward!

The discovery of new performers - be they current or just new to me - continues to be a source of major excitement. I think I'm always looking for that rush I recall from my mid to late teens when everything sounded new. Doesn't happen so often (more to do with having so much more context than any lack of current freshness, imo) but still creates a great buzz.

'The Band' were wonderful. I was only vaguely aware of them when they were functioning but began buying their albums in the early 80s.

I just found the single disc reissues of "The Band" and "Cahoots" and played both... continuing to be very, very excited!

Also picked up some Joni Mitchell and Ry Cooder. I've heard "Mingus" and some 90s stuff by Cooder (mostly the cuban albums, including the fun one with Manuel Galban). These will have to wait for my return from vacation in about two weeks, but I'm looking forward!

where are you?

somehow, i really didn't plan to discover him and i really wouldn't say they are brilliant and that's it... but i can't stop playing terry callier's first two cadet albums...

The Band!

I got lucky with that group; I won a copy of The Last Waltz in a radio station trivia contest when I was a teen and was instantly hooked. Music from Big Pink is one of the classics!

Always loved The Band. The drummer, Levon Helm, after recovering a few years ago from throat cancer, began holding regular Midnight Rambles in his barn in Woodstock that included a wide swath of musicians.

Vol. 1

* Levon Helm ~ Drums

* Little Sammy Davis ~ Vocal & Harmonica

* Fred Scribner ~ Guitar

* Mike Merritt ~ Bass

* Garth Hudson ~ Accordion

* Fred Scribner ~ Guitar

* Frank Luther ~ Bass

* Carey Brown ~ Piano

Vol. 2 * Levon Helm: drums & vocals

* Amy Helm: mandolin & vocals

* Johnnie Johnson: piano

* Little Sammy Davis: Vocal & Harmonica

* Dr John: guitar & vocals

* Jon R. Smith: saxophone

* Sean Costello: guitar & vocals

* Andrew Shober: bass & vocals

* Julia Smith: vocals

* Stephen Bernstein: trumpet

* Byron Isaacs: bass & vocals

* Eric Lawrence: saxophone

* Tony Leone: drums & vocals

* Fiona McBain: guitar & vocals

* Glen Patscha: keyboards & vocals

* Larry Cambell: fiddle & vocals

* Jimmy Vivino: guitar & vocals

* Mike Merritt: bass

* Tony Leone: drums & vocals

From wiki:

The Midnight Ramble is an outgrowth of an idea Helm explained to Martin Scorsese in The Last Waltz. Earlier in the 20th century Helm explained, traveling medicine shows and music shows such as F.S. Walcott Rabbit's Foot Minstrels, featuring African-American blues singers and dancers would put on titillating performances in rural areas. This was also turned into a song by the Band, "The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show", the name altered so the lyric was easier to sing.

"After the finale, they'd have the midnight ramble," Helm told Scorsese. With young children off the premises, the show resumed: "the songs would get a little bit juicier. The jokes would get a little funnier and the prettiest dancer would really get down and shake it a few times. A lot of the rock and roll duck walks and moves came from that."

Helm's Rambles do not feature nudity but often go on into the wee hours. Artists who have performed at the Rambles include Helm's former bandmate Garth Hudson, as well as Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Chris Robinson, Allen Toussaint, Donald Fagen of Steely Dan and Jimmy Vivino of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien's" The Max Weinberg 7. Others have been Sean Costello, The Muddy Waters Tribute Band, Pinetop Perkins, Hubert Sumlin, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, Bow Thayer, Luther "Guitar" Junior Johnson, Ricki Lee Jones, Kate Taylor, Ollabelle, The Holmes Brothers, Catherine Russell, Norah Jones and Johnny Johnson.

How many groups changed direction or significantly altered their sound after hearing 'Music from Big Pink'?

I've heard Fairport Convention's 'Full House' and Clapton's early 70s solo work were thus influenced towards a more earthy sound after the everything + the kitchen sink vibe of the late 60s.

How many groups changed direction or significantly altered their sound after hearing 'Music from Big Pink'?

I've heard Fairport Convention's 'Full House' and Clapton's early 70s solo work were thus influenced towards a more earthy sound after the everything + the kitchen sink vibe of the late 60s.

There was such a mix of influences going on within The Band itself -- from Rockabilly to Motown -- with the big organ, Robertson's prickly guitar lines and Helm's raspy drawl -- and the great harmonies in the vocals. Certainly they influenced a lot of bar and club bands in the '70s and '80s, I think. Bands with a blues bent, many of which never -- or rarely -- recorded, let alone sold a lot of records. Check out the track "Dew Drop Inn" by the Downchild Blues Band, for instance.

Maybe another, more direct example -- "The Weight" by Jeff Healey.

Edited by papsrus

sam merrill's mason hoffenberg interview/article (from 1973 when hoffenberg was staying with richard manuel), first read this years ago because hoffenberg was a character in my then-favorite book (kerouac's subterraneans) but i guess it's more interesting to a dylan/the band fan after all...

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/mason_hoff..._few_licks.html

sam merrill's mason hoffenberg interview/article (from 1973 when hoffenberg was staying with richard manuel), first read this years ago because hoffenberg was a character in my then-favorite book (kerouac's subterraneans) but i guess it's more interesting to a dylan/the band fan after all...

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/mason_hoff..._few_licks.html

great read, thanks!

Ray Charles. Yeah I've listen to him for years, but it seemed like background music until now.

Just gave a listen to these two CDs. "Genius + Soul = Jazz" and "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music vol 1" and I am blown away by both of these sessions. I need to get a copy of "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 2" next

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Ray Charles. Yeah I've listen to him for years, but it seemed like background music until now.

Just gave a listen to these two CDs. "Genius + Soul = Jazz" and "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music vol 1" and I am blown away by both of these sessions. I need to get a copy of "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 2" next

Ray Charles - background music?