New Art Pepper coming out soon.

mikelz777

Finally got my copy yesterday... as much as I'm enjoying it... please note that there is some duplication between Disc 1 and the Mosaic Select... Its' only about 5 or 6 tunes as I can tell... Liner notes say that most of Discs 2 and 3 are previously unreleased...

Not a complaint... just an FYI.... :mellow:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurie did Art like playing in San Diego?

Art liked playing, period. Anywhere, anytime. He just wanted a crowd, because he worried about the club owner losing money and not having him back. He sometimes scolded crowds for being so small. Seriously. I had to remind him that the people he was scolding actually DID show up.

I'll be getting on board as well. From the song samples, it sounds like another winner.

The description indicates that 2/3 of the music here has never been released before. With 31 tracks, that would make about 10 songs that have been released before. Does anyone know what songs they might be? Two of them should be the Warne Marsh tunes (12&16) from disc one and the two songs (4&5) from disc three that were identified from the Hollywood All Star Sessions. Can anyone here identify what else on this set has been released before?

(see post #36 for the set's discography)

Edit: It appears several of the numbers from disc 1 are from "Surf Ride", "Art Pepper Quartet" and "Discovery Sessions".

I see a lot of concern here about how much of the music has been released before. I've got to keep in mind that the people on this forum are serious fans and are familiar with everything released before by their favorites.

I may have been too ambitious with this set, but let me tell you what my thinking was: There may be people who are not so familiar with the arc of Art as an artist. Who, despite his addictions and his self destructive tendencies, was inevitably and inherently an artist. I wanted to bear witness to his artistic journey and his growth. So, to build my case, I risked licensing and re-releasing the beautiful early stuff, in order to create a COMPLETE musical biography.

I was inspired to do the project by the unreleased "Coltranesque" material from the rehearsal in 1964 (Disc 2). I first heard it several years ago at a presentation Ken Poston made at an L.A. Jazz Institute event. I was blown away by it. Blown away. Not only did I find it wonderful, I saw it as the missing link between early Art and the magnificent Art Pepper I heard when we toured.

I see, even in this thread, that there are people who only like "early" Art, like early early, like 1950 - 1953! Well, we all have our musical tastes. Art liked all kinds of music. He liked Doris Day. He liked country music. He liked Oingo Boingo. And he idolized Ray Charles. As for me, I love everything Art did because it was so soulful. Always. And it always swung.

I spent a lot of money putting this set together, and I fear it'll take a long long time to make it back. But what can I say, like always, I'm following my bliss. -Laurie

thank you doing all of this Laurie..

It takes someone with integrity and passion to keep this stuff alive and still coming out..

Even though I did have part of Disc 1 before (e.g., Mosaic Select) I am very happy to have the rest... Discs 2 and 3 (particularly the live songs) are killer material.. :)))

Personally I really seem like the late 70s Art....

I've got all 4 and I look forward to the next one...

thank you.

thank you doing all of this Laurie..

It takes someone with integrity and passion to keep this stuff alive and still coming out..

Even though I did have part of Disc 1 before (e.g., Mosaic Select) I am very happy to have the rest... Discs 2 and 3 (particularly the live songs) are killer material.. :)))

Personally I really seem like the late 70s Art....

I've got all 4 and I look forward to the next one...

thank you.

Thanks, pal. I appreciate the appreciation. Really. :rolleyes:

Laurie did Art like playing in San Diego?

Art liked playing, period. Anywhere, anytime. He just wanted a crowd, because he worried about the club owner losing money and not having him back. :rofl: He sometimes scolded crowds for being so small. Seriously. I had to remind him that the people he was scolding actually DID show up.

thanks for your response

Art dug pop music too? thats awesome-- any other popular bands he particularly found interesting?

lol @ only liking pre 1953 art/ i can listen to art on 78 rpm with kenton then i can listen to Freddie Hubbard MISTRAL where Art takes a fusion-solo

A question I can't resist. I could write pages about music Art liked and didn't.

Art's enjoyment of Doris Day and Steve Lawrence & Edye(sp) Gorme were things he kept hid, because he know they'd seem uncool to the hipness police. Of course, like most musicians, he loved Frank Sinatra.

He loved Roberta Flack ("The Ballad of the Sad Young Men"), Bill Withers (he listened over and over to "Hello, Like Before").

I carried a walkman around (with MY preferences) when we toured, and handed it Art on a plane, once, so he could listen to Barbra Streisand sing "Evergreen," and it made him teary. Once he was on a bill with Earth Wind & Fire. Art said he wished he could play with them, even as he cracked up over all the equipment their roadies shoved onto the stage.

He was once, years before I met him, invited to accompany the Beach Boys on tour, and was pissed when conditions of parole made it impossible. He always regretted it. He liked them.

He liked Van Morrison. A lot. I'd bought a tape of "Tupelo Honey" and left it in the car, and Art listened to it over and over.

He didn't like another favorite of mine, tho, James Taylor. When I asked him why, all he could say was that he thought he was boring.

He liked Paul Simon.

Once, standing in the wings of a show they were both on, Art congratulated Michael Brecker for his solo on on "Still Crazy."

Brecker pooh poohed it, saying he was doing his David Sanborn imitation.

After Brecker walked away, Art said, "Wow, what's the matter with that guy? I would have been proud to do that solo."

He rarely commented on musicians, though. Of course he loved Miles, but for him it was mostly singers. He always regretted that he couldn't sing.

I introduced him to Joni Mitchell's music and he liked her. He loved her vocalizing on "Woodstock." But I believe he offended her one night at Donte's in L.A. -- where she and a drummer she was hanging out with -- a friend of Art's; I can't remember his name (WAIT, John Guerin) -- came to see Art play. I wasn't there, but Art came home to tell me that he'd met Joni Mitchell and she was kind of snotty. I asked, "What did you say to her?"

He said, "I told her, ' my wife really likes your music.'"

"Why didn't you say YOU like her music?" He shrugged.

I said, "Of course she was snotty. You insulted her, you fool."

Laurie-

Thanks for sharing some of Art's music likes and dislikes. Just as easily as you could write pages about what music Art liked and didn't, I could easily read them. I find the insight fascinating.

It doesn't surprise me that Art was able to plug in and appreciate such a wide variety of musical styles and musical artists. He played with such a palpable sense of emotion, feeling, presence and passion that you know there had to be something behind it. Beside his own colorful life experiences, being open and appreciative of such a wide variety of music shows a sensitivity and empathy toward whatever feelings or experiences would lend themselves to inspiring the wide spectrum of emotions different kinds of music would offer.

A lot of guys could play, but to the degree and regularity that Art seemed to give of himself when he played, he was pretty unique and stands tall in a much smaller group of guys.

Edited by mikelz777

that is amazing information which increases my already exteremly high respect for Art Pepper

im espically pleased to learn Art appriciated the Beach Boys.

did art enjoy classical music at all too? did you guys ever go to the symphony or ballet?

One night coming home from a gig, we had the classical station on in the car. Art insisted on sitting in the driveway until the song was over. It was so beautiful Art had to know what it was. It was Kathleen Ferrier singing Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.

• 2 weeks later...

that is amazing information which increases my already exteremly high respect for Art Pepper

im espically pleased to learn Art appriciated the Beach Boys.

did art enjoy classical music at all too? did you guys ever go to the symphony or ballet?

One night coming home from a gig, we had the classical station on in the car. Art insisted on sitting in the driveway until the song was over. It was so beautiful Art had to know what it was. It was Kathleen Ferrier singing Brahms's Alto Rhapsody.

Excellent taste :tup

Edited by J.A.W.

Hi Laurie...

I know you just got done with this mammoth task... but I'm wondering... When do you think Vol. 5 will be out? And will it be another 2CD live set??

thanks for everything you are doing... You've inspired me to add to my Art collection!!!

Thanks so much to you. It's people like you who keep me going.

Next will probably be a one or two disc live set.

I've got a stunning video from a festival in Kongsberg in Sweden? and the music is monumental. Seriously. I'm trying to get hold of a guy named Gert Avelin who produced it.

Also, I've got some super tracks from a gig in Stuttgart, and just got some tracks I'm told are marvelous from Adelaide. Haven't heard them yet.

Seems like I usually put out the new ones in May, June. I think it'll be a single cd, tho. I wiped myself out financially (temporarily I hope) with this one.

Hi Laurie...

I know you just got done with this mammoth task... but I'm wondering... When do you think Vol. 5 will be out? And will it be another 2CD live set??

thanks for everything you are doing... You've inspired me to add to my Art collection!!!

I've got a stunning video from a festival in Kongsberg in Sweden? and the music is monumental. Seriously. I'm trying to get hold of a guy named Gert Avelin who produced it.

Also, I've got some super tracks from a gig in Stuttgart, and just got some tracks I'm told are marvelous from Adelaide. Haven't heard them yet.

Seems like I usually put out the new ones in May, June. I think it'll be a single cd, tho. I wiped myself out financially (temporarily I hope) with this one.

Kongsberg is in Norway. :) This must have been from the Kongsberg Jazz Festival. Could it be this concert?

Art Pepper Quartet

Art Pepper (as), Milcho Leviev (p), Tony Dumas (b), Carl Burnett (dms)

June 1980 - Kongsberg Jazz Festival, Kongsberg

Here is a link to information on a short film from the festival that year:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natl...16/default.html

This festival is very much still going strong:

http://www.kongsberg-jazzfestival.no/sider...mal=nyhetsliste

Edited by jostber

The press release refers to a download from CDBABY of the album 'Blues for The Fisherman' that will be available shortly. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this when it was first released by Mole Jazz and it really is a terrific album from a session he did live at Ronnie Scott's Club in June, 1980. What a shame it isn't getting a proper re-release on CD.

It WILL be re-released on LPs by Pure Pleasure Records in England.

Thanks for the info, Laurie.

Is there some reason why it's only getting a vinyl release since I'm sure that will mean a far smaller audience for what is a terrific recording.

BTW I saw him live at Ronnie Scott's on the same tour and he was on fire; a really memorable occasion.

Great news ! Only just picked up the original Mole LP just the other day. A fine session and strongly recommended, along with the 'True Blue'. Only sorry I missed that particular Art engagement in Scotts. Suspect I was away from town those particular weeks - eternal regret. I did see the lovely, albeit short cameo at the RFH 'Bird' show though. As mentioned, Art was definitely on fire around this time. Brought the house down at the RFH.

Edited by sidewinder

Hi Laurie...

Kongsberg is in Norway. :) This must have been from the Kongsberg Jazz Festival. Could it be this concert?

Art Pepper Quartet

Art Pepper (as), Milcho Leviev (p), Tony Dumas (b), Carl Burnett (dms)

June 1980 - Kongsberg Jazz Festival, Kongsberg

Here is a link to information on a short film from the festival that year:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natl...16/default.html

This festival is very much still going strong:

http://www.kongsberg-jazzfestival.no/sider...mal=nyhetsliste

Thanks, THANKS. Yes, that's the one. The 30 minute film included a little bit of the interview with Art and a bit of performance. But there was a full set of Art with that band and with commentary that was aired on Swedish TV. I have it on DVD but it's not a good copy and much of the music is interrupted by talking. I'm hoping to get hold of a better copy of that longer film in better condition.

post-11602-1248509371_thumb.jpg

It was a bit harsh.... particularly... the "Ms. Pepper lobbies hard for the ’70s as his prime period, when he had finally made it through jail, drugs and rehab, and found a synthesis of his past styles."

I LOVE his 70's stuff... I don't think I need anyone to lobby me on that... <_<

A brief review of this in today's "N, Y. Times."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/arts/music/26play.html

Keep up the wonderful work Laurie... I look forward to the next (hopefully 2CD) set...!

It was a bit harsh.... particularly... the "Ms. Pepper lobbies hard for the ’70s as his prime period, when he had finally made it through jail, drugs and rehab, and found a synthesis of his past styles."

I LOVE his 70's stuff... I don't think I need anyone to lobby me on that... <_<

A brief review of this in today's "N, Y. Times."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/arts/music/26play.html

Keep up the wonderful work Laurie... I look forward to the next (hopefully 2CD) set...!

Thanks for coming to my defense! Harsh smarsh, I'm in the Times, and it was, on the scale of things, a good review.

BTW, I still insist that emphasis of this set is on history rather than unreleased. But for anyone interested in amount of new material in proportion to previously released, see attachment. Turns I was right about 1/3 unreleased.

released__unreleased.pdf

• 1 month later...

If it's' not too late to weigh in...

First I opened up Disc 1. It was good, but I had much of it already, so it wasn't fresh like the thrill of a new album.

Two weeks later I opened up Disc 3. It was very good, but Laurie set the bar so high with her previous three Widow's Taste releases that I didn't think that it measured up to them. That's not a criticism, just a comment that if you've already got the other three you've been spoiled!

This weekend I finally got around to opening up Disc 2. Wow! I think that it alone is worth the $20 price of the set. I've read often how Art was so influenced by Coltrane in the 60s, but I hadn't heard any examples of that before. I've been playing Disc 2 all weekend, and I'm sure I'll keep playing it a lot.

Laurie commented above that the purpose of this release was to introduce the phases of Art's career to those who are not familiar with him. I think she's done a great job of that.