Complete Miles Davis - 70CD + DVD

king ubu

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my "improved" box today. Lift off lid, box a little sturdier, so far no glue that I can see and sleeves are nicer for accessing discs.

Anyone knows if they just send the box not the cds? I would like a new box, but no cds. I won't die if I don't get one, but still, even though I have minor damage, I still want to get one if possible. You can see that it's just two small splits that I taped over.

I'd still contact the Amazon folks about why you received the old box

when their website stated otherwise.

It might just be because Sony sucks (and not Amazon).

In the past 10 years, whenever they screwed up (root kits; CD errors, shoddy quality control, etc.), they also screwed up whatever they set up to fix the original screw-up.

A screw-up of the screw-up, actually.

Still, customers jump for joy (!) and fall over themselves every single time they get shafted and Sony is "nice enough" (usually only after a minimum of several thousand customers complained very publicly online) to fix whatever problem they produced in the first place ... weeks and months later.

If you check online how erratic their customer service has been in this case (again), it is absolutely beyond me how customers can actually place any trust in whatever that cruddy outfit does or says.

Edited by neveronfriday

I'd still contact the Amazon folks about why you received the old box

when their website stated otherwise.

It might just be because Sony sucks (and not Amazon).

In the past 10 years, whenever they screwed up (root kits; CD errors, shoddy quality control, etc.), they also screwed up whatever they set up to fix the original screw-up.

A screw-up of the screw-up, actually.

Still, customers jump for joy (!) and fall over themselves every single time they get shafted and Sony is "nice enough" (usually only after a minimum of several thousand customers complained very publicly online) to fix whatever problem they produced in the first place ... weeks and months later.

If you check online how erratic their customer service has been in this case (again), it is absolutely beyond me how customers can actually place any trust in whatever that cruddy outfit does or says.

I've sent emails and receipt information to both Sony and AmazonFR. We'll see what happens.

PS: I was keeping my extra Christmas money for the Trumpet Case release, but seeing what's going on with this Complete case, well, I'm gun-shy right now about Sony.

Edited by Matthew

I've sent emails and receipt information to both Sony and AmazonFR. We'll see what happens.

PS: I was keeping my extra Christmas money for the Trumpet Case release, but seeing what's going on with this Complete case, well, I'm gun-shy right now about Sony.

Good luck with that.

One more note: I've had an extensive exchange with Amazon Germany about this boxed set and actually managed to get hold of someone who is a) human and b) cares about what he's doing. He told me that Sony has NOT informed Amazon Germany at all (at any time or in any form) about any replacement sets. They were actually lead to believe they were supposed to keep on selling this sh*t bucket that everyone's complaining about.

It was only after they were alerted by customer E-Mails that they read up on Sony's "customer satisfaction" plan which is supposed to get everyone around the globe new sets. When I contacted Amazon a few days later to check what this guy had found out, he told me that Sony hadn't responded (and apparently wasn't about to respond) to Amazon.de's inquiry.

I checked again today.

They still hadn't heard one peep from Sony.

It's typical for those monkeys in suits - and I've had my run-in with them once or twice - and I encourage everyone to just boycott those gangsters. Fat chance, I know, but I ain't touching their stuff anymore if I can avoid it.

Edited by neveronfriday

Good luck with that.

One more note: I've had an extensive exchange with Amazon Germany about this boxed set and actually managed to get hold of someone who is a) human and b) cares about what he's doing. He told me that Sony has NOT informed Amazon Germany at all (at any time or in any form) about any replacement sets. They were actually lead to believe they were supposed to keep on selling this sh*t bucket that everyone's complaining about.

It was only after they were alerted by customer E-Mails that they read up on Sony's "customer satisfaction" plan which is supposed to get everyone around the globe new sets. When I contacted Amazon a few days later to check what this guy had found out, he told me that Sony hadn't responded (and apparently wasn't about to respond) to Amazon.de's inquiry.

I checked again today.

They still hadn't heard one peep from Sony.

It's typical for those monkeys in suits - and I've had my run-in with them once or twice - and I encourage everyone to just boycott those gangsters. Fat chance, I know, but I ain't touching their stuff anymore if I can avoid it.

I contacted Amazon U.K. earlier this month and they told me the sets they are selling now are the revamped ones, without the box and glue problems. It seems Amazon France are now also aware of the problems and they seem to be selling problem-free sets now, according to this message on their site:

Nous avons constaté que certains coffrets 'The Complete Columbia Album Collection (Coffret 70 CD + 1DVD)' de Miles Davis présentaient des défauts de qualité du conditionnement. Après contrôle de notre stock, nous vous informons que les articles disponibles sont désormais sains. Si vous avez commandé cet article avant le 18 décembre, vous allez recevoir un email vous indiquant la procédure à suivre pour échanger gratuitement votre coffret pour le cas où il présenterait des défauts. Merci.

Judging by neveronfriday's post Amazon Germany seem to be the only Amazon branch that is still selling the defective sets...

Edited by J.A.W.

Of course it's Sony fault.

My point: Matthew and I (and possibly others)

ordered the box from Amazon.fr because they stated

that post-December 18th stock would be the new boxes.

It appears that Matthew didn't receive this,

so this is why I thought that they should be contacted -

which he has now done. It'll be interesting to see what

response he gets.

®ø∂

Of course it's Sony fault.

My point: Matthew and I (and possibly others)

ordered the box from Amazon.fr because they stated

that post-December 18th stock would be the new boxes.

It appears that Matthew didn't receive this,

so this is why I thought that they should be contacted -

which he has now done. It'll be interesting to see what

response he gets.

®ø∂

Right. IIRC that was the same message in place when Matthew ordered his set.

Good luck Matthew.

Rolf, I'm not sure that this box will fit Japanese mini-lps. These Miles sleeves are considerably smaller.

Amazingly and jaw-dropping enough, Amazon France emailed my this reply three hours after my email this morning:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to Amazon.fr.

Please accept my apologies for the way your item "The Complete Columbia Album Collection (Coffret 70 CD + 1DVD)" arrived, and the disappointment caused.

Normally, I would create a replacement order to be dispatched as soon as possible for the damaged or defective item, free of charge.

However, before creating a replacement order, I would like to offer you a refund of 20,00 euros if you agree to keep the item.

If you are happy with this solution, please respond using the link below and we will replace the item or refund your payment card as soon as we receive your response:

Needless to say, I passed on the tempting offer of 20 euros, and emailed back that I wanted a replacement set. The more I thought about, the more I realized that with the cost of this set, that I should expect and good, new version of this set. It looks like all's well that ends well.

My box is finally on its way to me, with free shipping because Amazon U.K. made a mistake with my order. Although I ordered it from Amazon U.K., it shipped from Germany. Amazon assured me I'm getting the revamped box - wait and see...

Edited by J.A.W.

My box is finally on its way to me, with free shipping because Amazon U.K. made a mistake with my order. Although I ordered it from Amazon U.K., it shipped from Germany. Amazon assured me I'm getting the revamped box - wait and see...

I got my box from Amazon U.K. a few days ago and it's in fine shape; no damage at all and the discs are all glue-free. I immediately put the discs in those Japanese "cloth" mini-LP inner sleeves.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand from another board that this set contains a flyer for another MD set to be released next year.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks

The Icon-Collectible site gives the game away on what the deluxe Miles Davis box that Sony are due to release in 2010. As predicted bt some it is a trumpet case with the individual boxes that the have released (from Miles & Trane to On the Corner, but excluding the three live boxes, Blackhawk, Plugged Nickel & On the Corner). There are a couple of extras as well. See page 20 of pdf catalogue.

The site has a 2-for-1 sale on 11x14 prints. Some nice Miles prints available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazon (UK/Germany/...) has started churning out the f*cked-up sets again.

They ran out of the remodeled "shoe box" one (gone for good, as far as I understand).

The cynic in me just loves it.

You really have to hand it to Sony/Columbia for that one.

:)

Edited by neveronfriday

Hi all!

I ordered this set from third part vendor (new) from amazon.fr.

Apparently they ship from UK.

It will be interesting to see what set will turn up.

Etat : Neuf - Nouveau

Vendu par(seller) : reflexgb (profil vendeur)

/Shaft

PS I did not read this thread before i pushed the order button....I hope the seller will take responsibility if there is anything wrong. Are all the old sets bad? Is there glue on the actual CDs??

a) I hope the seller will take responsibility if there is anything wrong. - If you are lucky, yes.

b) Are all the old sets bad? - Yes (with very, very few exceptions).

c) Is there glue on the actual CDs?? - Yes, lots of it at times (up to 20 CDs and more)

There was a remodeled set ("shoe box") for a while and, if your set is screwed-up, you can try Sony/Columbia for a replacement (see link elsewhere in this thread). I'm sure they still have the remodeled boxed set. They have been slow in replacing the sets, but - in the end - I think they came through for everyone.

My personal observation: Lots of marketplace dealers and eBay vendors are offloading the crummy sets at the moment.

Edited by neveronfriday