Vonski Speaks

let me add another thing, which I implied above - to me the thing that gives this so much soul is the slightly off centered articulation, the sense that the notes are fused together rather than separated by a clean delineation of tones. Think, in a different way, about Earl Hines - or of the difference between Bud Powell and Oscar Peterson. To state the obvious, this is a much more African American way of playing than some other approaches, really an extension, if I must say so, of the classic African tonality, in which there is less clear distinction between half, whole, and quarter tones. And yet one clearly hears the pitch. But what bothers critics like Gitler is probably related to this, not just the supposed off-key playing. Even Coltrane in his wildest moments has a clarity of note separation that is largely missing from Freeman's playing. Ornette is closer in feeling, but still comparatively conservative (and remember the old racist characterizations of certain people as "mush mouth"?). This is what "new thing" players like Ayler were getting at as well, I think. And it's also why Freeman truly understands those blues guys better than most jazz players.

also gives me a lot to chew over as I practice up for a recording session.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really amazed not one person has remarked about Von being in his 80s when this was recorded. This encourages me.

Now, 7 years later he has lost some stamina but nothing else.

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

From the sound, I would have put him in his '70's. Very strong player.

I'm really amazed not one person has remarked about Von being in his 80s when this was recorded. This encourages me.

Now, 7 years later he has lost some stamina but nothing else.

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Definitely "nothing else." The "Darn That Dream" he played at the Chicago Jazzfest this year (that was the ballad he played at the Fest, right?) was in the same class as the one on "Vonski Speaks."

• 3 weeks later...

Now listening to this for the first time. Thinking through my Von Freeman albums (not many) and sideman dates with George and others (more), I have a fair few from the seventies, but nowt more recent until this. Big gap to be filled. His sound is much bigger on this than thirty years before.

And I'm filled with joy by the way Von comes out on the title track, as if he were still sharing a stage with Gator Tail. Oh my! Good band, too.

Love his playing on "Darn that dream" but could have done without the bass solo.

"Summertime" is "Oh Gawd!" territory. Oh, it's just the intro and what an intro! Struth, that man can talk! Wonder what he and Jaws would have done sharing a stage.

Loved the blues, too, of course. Including the drum solo, which seemed fully in the spirit of Von's playing.

Altogether, this is Von working his stuff with what's really a pretty ordinary rhythm section of good but unexceptional musicians. There's only one guitarist who could MEET Von and not sound dull by comparison, and that's George, of course.

Exceptional album. Thanks Chuck and Von.

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Somewhere along the line, I got the idea that it was against company policy for Nessa Records to have a best seller!:lol:

Imagine my surprise when this morning I received spam from Amazon entitled "Amazon.com: Vonski Speaks".

I guess that because I have purchased a few jazz albums from them in the past, they have entered my name into their computer's jazz fan list.

The email features new releases by Kenny Dorham, Philly Joe Jones and Wadada Leo Smith among others, but at the top of the list is Vonski Speaks!

Congratulations Chuck! Or is this merely something that you have paid for?

Somewhere along the line, I got the idea that it was against company policy for Nessa Records to have a best seller!:lol:

Imagine my surprise when this morning I received spam from Amazon entitled "Amazon.com: Vonski Speaks".

I guess that because I have purchased a few jazz albums from them in the past, they have entered my name into their computer's jazz fan list.

The email features new releases by Kenny Dorham, Philly Joe Jones and Wadada Leo Smith among others, but at the top of the list is Vonski Speaks!

This sounds pretty good and is very pleasing.

Just out of interest, I looked at the Amazon.com listing for "Vonski speaks" and at thir little note, that I always ignore, that says it's their 23,395th best selling album. What does that mean? So I looked at the other 4 albums listed on the "customers also bought..." bit.

Gerald Wilson - Detroit 8 thousand & something

Joe Lovano - Folk art 10 thousand & something

James Carter - Heaven on earth 27 thousand & something

Gonzalo Rubacalba - Avatar 62 thousand & something

So I looked at something else

Ancient strings - Batorou Sekou Kouyate & Co (kora album) 67 thousand & something

New ancient strings - Toumani Diabate 7 thousand & something

Mande variations - Toumani Diabate 6 thousand & something

So it looks like it's doing moderately well. So, who's buying it from Amazon? WE'RE all buying it direct from Chuck :)

MG

Nothing I did. Good news though.

Just out of interest, I looked at the Amazon.com listing for "Vonski speaks" and at thir little note, that I always ignore, that says it's their 23,395th best selling album. What does that mean? So I looked at the other 4 albums listed on the "customers also bought..." bit.

Ancient strings - Batorou Sekou Kouyate & Co (kora album) 67 thousand & something

So it looks like it's doing moderately well. So, who's buying it from Amazon? WE'RE all buying it direct from Chuck :)

MG

As I understand it, Amazon claims the sales figures are adjusted every few hours according to purchases. I have seen the "Vonski" number as low a 9000 but my shipments have not been "overwhelming" - not even "whelming".

At the moment it is #8525 and is out of stock.

That's terrific! I guess the spam sure helped awareness.

I always figured that albums featured in Amazon's spams were paid for by the record label. That is to say, Amazon wasn't really recommending them, it was just product placement. I guess I was wrong!

Nothing I did. Good news though.

MG

As I understand it, Amazon claims the sales figures are adjusted every few hours according to purchases. I have seen the "Vonski" number as low a 9000 but my shipments have not been "overwhelming" - not even "whelming".

Oh. I saw that note, too. I wonder then if the difference between a few thousandth and several score thousandth is perhaps only a handful of sales.

MG

a brief trivia question in between - the liner notes to "Serenade & Blues" mention a booking agent named McKeefe Fitch - is that the same person as McKie Fitzhugh?

I'm sure Chris Sheridan misunderstood Von, got the name wrong and I missed it.

:) and then probably John Corbett used the liner notes as one source for his Extended Play and put a "famous" in front of "McKeefe Fitch" (page 156)

http://books.google.de/books?id=KQ2WFvz6GXUC&pg=PA156&dq=%22mckeefe+fitch%22&cd=1#v=onepage&q=%22mckeefe%20fitch%22&f=false

thanks!

Edited by Niko

• 2 weeks later...