The Jazz police

umum_cypher

Allen's point isn't that difficult to see. Marsalis certainly seems to be taking a sinister pleasure in all this (if the story's true).

And I thought we had already stripped the term "Nazi" of any power it once had. The term "soup Nazi" is part of the lexicon now. If you laugh at a Nazi, he's got nuthin' but his accessories.

Kinda like Wynton, maybe?

So - I wonder if Ochs is garnering increased exposure from all of this (thanks Wynnie for keeping the light on). LOSADC is a great band, especially due to the presence of Scott Amendola. That guy is a MF.

Besides, their last record certainly kicks the crap out of the latest Marsalis Christmas record. zzzzzzzzzz.

I think that we should call this thread "the Jazz Lone Ranger"

Who is that caped man with the trumpet?

He hails from New Orleans, has a shelf-full of Grammys, and has led the classical charge against the global flood of fusions that so anger jazz purists

Dum DA da da da - Dum DA da da da - Dum DA da da da - Da DAAAAAAAAAA

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by John L

Guest Bill Barton

What would be funny is if the fan turned out to be one of the trolls who has been banned from here and/or AAJ.

:lol:

The only honorable thing Wynton could do on this issue now is to offer Larry Ochs' band a gig at JALC. Several nights.

:tup :tup

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

My speculation: Wynton probably tossed off a humorously provocative statement. "Some guy in Spain stood up for REAL JAZZ? Good for him! Get his name, I'll send him my whole catalog." An "assistant" who overheard happened to know the Guardian journalist, and gave him a call or sent him an email, or maybe happened to run into him. "Hey, Wynton says he'll send his whole catalog to that guy in Spain if you can track him down! Haw haw!" So the guy runs the article. After all, it saves him having to dream up something serious to write about.

In any case, big deal. Wynton would probably be delighted to know that the stalwart anti-fascists on Organissimo are pale with indignation over this fluff. ;)

The Jazz Purist has been found...

from the Guardian.

Reader comment below the article:

"I heard a jazz record once. Load of rubbish. Sounded like they were just making it up as they went along."

:lol:

Also this, from the article:

"Wynton never planned on it going public," says Jono Gasparro, the star's assistant, who asked the Guardian to help track Gisbert down.

Lets keep this on the down low. Call the Guardian.

The only honorable thing Wynton could do on this issue now is to offer Larry Ochs' band a gig at JALC. Several nights.

I'm afraid this will never happen ... but it is an excellent idea!

I remember an interview with Herbie Hancock in a German collection - the topic was "The Marsalis factor" - and he recommended Wynton go use the bathroom and relieve himself  :g

"And if it is simultaneously offensive to some of our European brethren, then why use it?"

actually, I find that mostly Americans seem to be offended -

years ago I worked with a drummer whose wife was German - I was complaining about a bass player who was very rigid rhythmically, and I referred to him as a "rhythm Nazi." She actually thought it was quite funny.

I don't know...I tend to think it is better to push these things into the open.

Edited by AllenLowe