New EUR Rhino box set series?

mjzee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they are remasters, but they will probably not be the Wounded Bird versions but the most recent Sony/Columbia ones.

Has anyone heard these and can comment on how they sound compared to the Wounded Bird reissues?

Those Sony OAC and WEA OAS sets have never had new remasters, they are pure budget sets. The Sony's at least tend to have any previously released bonus cuts, where the WEA's are the original album content only. Pretty encouraging to see that Farrell set, though, both for what it is itself and for what it portends on the possibility of other CTI sets.

I don't believe the Farrell box has been released yet.

Today's the release date. Amazon Resellers are already offering it for $15.29 plus shipping; see http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00RVD8DBM/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=&qid=

I doubt they are remasters, but they will probably not be the Wounded Bird versions but the most recent Sony/Columbia ones.

Has anyone heard these and can comment on how they sound compared to the Wounded Bird reissues?

Those Sony OAC and WEA OAS sets have never had new remasters, they are pure budget sets. The Sony's at least tend to have any previously released bonus cuts, where the WEA's are the original album content only. Pretty encouraging to see that Farrell set, though, both for what it is itself and for what it portends on the possibility of other CTI sets.

What's interesting about the "old remastering vs. new remastering" thing is that many are now criticizing newer remasterings (in general) as being too loud. So some might actually prefer the older versions.

What's interesting about the "old remastering vs. new remastering" thing is that many are now criticizing newer remasterings (in general) as being too loud. So some might actually prefer the older versions.

The latest Japanese CTI Blu-spec CDs sound best of all. They are cheap and two of the five Farrell titles are included.

Outback

Penny Arcade

Also great sounding is Idris Muhammad's Power Of Soul

Not loud and compressed, no hot treble. The Muhammad sounds so nice you keep hitting the replay button.

I don't believe the Farrell box has been released yet.

Ah, I guess I've jumped the gun!

Perhaps someone could comment on the sound of the earlier CTI CDs. Did all five get reissued?

You've probably not jumped the gun since as has been noted these are likely to be old Columbia/Sony CD masterings. Sony has even reached as far back as the 1980s with the masterings for some of these sets. It's not impossible that some people here will have heard these the first time round.

The latest Japanese CTI Blu-spec CDs sound best of all. They are cheap and two of the five Farrell titles are included.

Outback

Penny Arcade

Also great sounding is Idris Muhammad's Power Of Soul

Not loud and compressed, no hot treble. The Muhammad sounds so nice you keep hitting the replay button.

But, of course, you don't get them for $4 a CD, as you do the OAS!

Would "Outback" be the CTI 40th Anniversary reissue included in the set? The cover photo of the set posted here, looks like the "Outback" cover original catalog number and all looks like the reissue from a few years ago, and since the others lack the CTI logo on the front they look like the Wounded Bird reissues. That set does look interesting, indeed. Would be nice just for "Outback" and "Joe Farrell Quartet" in one place.

Would "Outback" be the CTI 40th Anniversary reissue included in the set? The cover photo of the set posted here, looks like the "Outback" cover original catalog number and all looks like the reissue from a few years ago, and since the others lack the CTI logo on the front they look like the Wounded Bird reissues. That set does look interesting, indeed. Would be nice just for "Outback" and "Joe Farrell Quartet" in one place.

I don't see how they could be the 40th anniversary issues, which were done by an independent company, nor the Wounded Bird issues. I would expect them to be the early 90's masters that came out on Columbia/Legacy.

I don't see how they could be the 40th anniversary issues, which were done by an independent company, nor the Wounded Bird issues. I would expect them to be the early 90's masters that came out on Columbia/Legacy.

All will be revealed.............after they arrive.

But they were all on Sony Masterworks, so isn't that kind of tied into the Legacy banner? For me the CTI 40th Anniversary series is the best series of domestic CTI discs I ever heard, some like "Red Clay" and "Straight Life" were greatly improved, others not as big, but I really enjoyed that series, others like "Don't Mess With Mr. T" sounded very close to the original vinyl.

But they were all on Sony Masterworks, so isn't that kind of tied into the Legacy banner? For me the CTI 40th Anniversary series is the best series of domestic CTI discs I ever heard, some like "Red Clay" and "Straight Life" were greatly improved, others not as big, but I really enjoyed that series, others like "Don't Mess With Mr. T" sounded very close to the original vinyl.

Hope you're right, but I thought they were independently produced with some sort of licensing deal. But I may well be wrong.

The CTI 40th series were all on Sony Masterworks with mastering by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana, no licensing deal. For example, I am looking at the back of Benson's "Body Talk" now, it says copyright 2011 Sony Music Entertainment and printed 1973, 2002 Sony Music Entertainment

Edited by CJ Shearn

Right, my Joe Farrell boxset arrived this morning.

I've done a quick comparison of "Upon the Rock" and according to Tau Analyzer the new release would appear to be exactly the same as my Wounded Bird version. So, it looks like I've bought the boxset for the one album I didn't have..."The Joe Farrell Quartet"....ah well.

However there is a difference between my Japanese version of "Outback" and this new release but I've yet to play them both to see how they sound.

So, I guess if you already have the Wounded Bird releases there's no need to buy this set.

Oh, and the boxset doesn't include the third of his CTI releases "Moon Germs"...I wonder why they left that one out? Luckily I already have that as a CTI reissue from 2001.

Edited by Head Man

Outback and Penny Arcade are still available via cdjapan in the CTI Supreme series that uses flat transfers and are pressed on Blu-Spec 2 CD and go for about 9 dollars each these days. I'd go for these . . .they sound excellent; this series has the best sound I've heard of CTI on digital.

IMO the two most interesting Farrell CTI recordings are "Outback" and Moongerms".

"Outback" is available in two excellent transfers (either the CTI 40th Anniversary release or the forementioned japanese Blue-Spec 2) and "Moongerms" received a satiesfying CD release by CTI in 2001.