deep archives

last night on wkcr-fm host mitch goldman with guest host saxophonist eric person playing and knowledgeably discussing rare recording dates with 2 seminal(even more so 40 years later)musical titans, neither of which were commercially released.

both recordings originated in 1969.

the first was a recording of a live miles davis "lost quintet" from the french riviera in 1969. the quintet at this time included shorter(still mostly on tenor), corea, dejohnette, and dave holland. the group was relaxed, at its peak, and smokin.'

the second was an apparently never released 1969 nyc collaboration between jimmy hendrix and organist larry young with 2 unknown sideman, possibly from hendrix band. while in studio for other recording sessions. i believe that this was from the personal collection of person. i'm not sure this music can be defined, but it is fabulous music. there is bt one vocal. hendrix colors and inventiveness are from another world.

Not sure how rare they are, I have both of them. The Miles CD is called It's About That Time. It was recorded at Montreaux in 1969 and includes all the players you mentioned. The tapes were made by Chick Corea. There are seven tunes in the set. Directions, Miles Runs The Voodoo Down, Milestones, Footprints, Round About Midnight, It's About That Time and Sanctuary/The Theme. The eBay seller from whom I bought the 20 CD Davis Montreaux box threw this in as a bonus.

The Hendrix/Young tunes are on a CD called Jimi Hendrix, The Studio Out-takes, 1966-1970. It's a 2 CD set from an outfit called Radioactive Records. They have released a number of Hendrix LP's on 180 gram vinyl. The two cuts with Larry Young are It's Too Bad (also featuring Buddy Miles) and Larry Young Jam a 10:24 piece with Billy Cox. Interestingly enough, this CD also includes an early take of Valleys of Neptune. It ends abruptly at the 4:25 mark when Hendrix stops playing and announces that he "hadn't thought up and ending yet."

1) The Miles is from Juan-Les-Pins, not Montreux (which is in Switzerland). Didn't know Chick recorded this; I assumed it was from French radio. We are assuming the recording is the CD in question (alocis did say 'French Riviera'). Sony was to supposed to put out a legitimate 2-CD set with the concerts from both nights a few years ago, but they are too fucked-up in their heads to realize that putting this out is a no-brainer.

2) Supposedly there is a 1-hour tape out there of Jimi and Larry, but it sounds horrible (or so I was told - I have tried to stay away to avoid being frustrated). The Jam was released on an LP called Nine To The Universe (legit or not?); didn't know about the CD. 'It's Too Bad' was in a Hendrix box, but wasn't it determined later that the organist was not Larry Young but some guy named Duane Hitchings? According to the link below, Hitchings co-wrote 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' with that ass-wipe Rod Stewart, which is a fucking joke considering that tune was an obvious rip-off of a Jorge Ben tune (there was a lawsuit but Jorge Ben inexplicably lost).

http://www.jimihendrix.com/news/news,revelation.html

Bertrand.

P.S. I hate to be pedantic, but it's 'Montreux'.

I hope I didn't offend any Rod Stewart fans out there any more than he offends me every time he opens his mouth.

Edited by bertrand

the first was a recording of a live miles davis "lost quintet" from the french riviera in 1969. the quintet at this time included shorter(still mostly on tenor), corea, dejohnette, and dave holland. the group was relaxed, at its peak, and smokin.'

The first concert from the Juan les Pins festival was officially released by Sony Japan in 1993

davis_miles_1969miles_101b.jpg

Both Lost Quintet concerts were filmed by French ORTF camera crews. Let's hope the images will be released by the INA, one can always dream!

The plot thickens. I decided to listen to It's About That Time tonight and my laptop was handy so I just plugged it in. When it deployed on iTunes, it was identified as Festival De Juan Pins. So, I guess I'm not sure what I've got. The packaging on the CD says the music was recorded in 1969 in Montreux. The liner notes are pretty cursory, so there's no help there. The outfit that released it is called Jazz Door. FWIW, the recording quality is first rate and Miles is on fire. I can't imagine him playing much better than this.

Edited by Dave James

I've done a little more sleuthing and based on the set list and the length of each of the tunes, what I have is a recording of the "lost" Davis quintet from its appearance at Festiva De Juan Pins in 1969. At this point, nothing more than a mildly interesting case of misidentification on the part of the producer.

Yes, the Jazz Door incorrectly says Montreux. High-quality 'production' work there.

Brownie,

Is the Jazz Door the same concert as the official Sony (which I'd forgotten about) or the 'other night'?

As for the INA video, Sony should have tried to release this years ago, although I know INA is a tough nut to crack. They also filmed Hutcherson/Land.

Maybe Reelin' In The Years might be able to work something out now that INA is starting to loosen up? I still have a few years left to live.

Bertrand.

The Jazz Door is exactly the same as the Sony, this is in fact old news. My personal guess is that they didn't want to come up against a lawsuit from Sony so invented the Montreux appearance. But it would have made more sense not to put out the cd, so I don't know. But nothing new on that disc that isn't on the Sony, bit for bit.

Edited by jazzbo

Brownie,

Is the Jazz Door the same concert as the official Sony (which I'd forgotten about) or the 'other night'?

Bertrand.

It's the same concert (the first night). The Sony CD clocks in at 64m. The Jazz Door at 63m58s.

Now don't ask me where that two-second difference comes from :huh:

Brownie,

Bertrand.

It's the same concert (the first night). The Sony CD clocks in at 64m. The Jazz Door at 63m58s.

Two seconds of wiggle room to avoid a copyright lawsuit.

9 to the Universe is a legit release, but it's long out of print, some of the jams therein have subsequently appeared elsewhere but someone else with more patience than me while have to do the details...

Sony strikes out on both Miles and Monk live, recording and issueing OK but kinda redundant stuff over and over but dropping the ball (mixed metaphor alert!) by not getting what should've been obviously exceptional stuff. More than just Murphy's Law at work here methinks...

Brownie,

Bertrand.

I think Phil Schaap may have the 2 seconds stashed away, somewhere.