Tadd Dameron -- the composer, arranger, and pianist

Rooster_Ties

Nothing better demonstrates the continuing relevance of Tadd than the Joe Lovano Nonet's 52nd Street Themes. Strongly recommended!

519BY52W7JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Second this recommendation and highly recommend this exciting DVD of the nonet that features three Dameron compositions, "On a Misty Night", "If You Could See Me Now" and "Good Bait".

inak6459.jpg

There's some material from the Royal Roost from February '49 with Miles on trumpet. I'm not at home but IIRC it was on a cd with some Miles quintet cuts from around the same time.

I've not yet been able to completely find and sort out all the Tadd boots, I've got at least three of those Boris Rose LPs around... all mighty fine music! There's indeed an aircheck (or maybe even two?) from the Royal Roost with the "Big Ten" with Miles in the band. I think Leonard Hawkins was the other trumpet player who's been documented as part of the band.

Too bad Fantasy only documented the tracks with Fats! And even worse they don't give exact recording dates. This stuff is a mess, as some of the tunes (The Squirrel, Tadd Walk...) turn up on every other date.

Nothing better demonstrates the continuing relevance of Tadd than the Joe Lovano Nonet's 52nd Street Themes. Strongly recommended!

519BY52W7JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Second this recommendation and highly recommend this exciting DVD of the nonet that features three Dameron compositions, "On a Misty Night", "If You Could See Me Now" and "Good Bait".

inak6459.jpg

Edited by Brad

I love all the Dameronia recordings, those with Philly Joe and Kenny Washington. Barry Harris is one of the finest interpreters of Dameron and I love his previously mentioned "Plays Tadd Dameron" CD.

FYI - Boston area musician, Paul Combs, is working on what will probably be the definitive Dameron biography (though Ian Macdonald's is an excellent read)and hopefully, it will be released before the end of 2010.

Though the publishing is delayed, here is the info on the Dameron biography - I took this from the bio at Combs' website:

He is also at work on a book about composer and arranger Tadd Dameron, which will be published by University of Michigan Press. The book, titled "Dameronia," is projected to be released in 2008.

Don't forget the two Uptowns with Philly Joe's Dameronia Band: "Stop, Look and Listen" and "To Thad With Love"

Only the first is available, newly reissued. Second one is OOP.

Vic

To make a search for the albums easier: the title of the first Uptown is Look, Stop and Listen and the second Uptown is called To Tadd with Love. The latter is indeed OOP, but vinyl copies may still be around.

61LuKH1raWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg