2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take several teams over the 96-00 edition including the 1960-62 edition of the Yankees. If you're just going to count titles then there is no meaningful discussion. I would sooner take the Reds, the Baltimore teams of the 60s, the mid 70s version of the Yankees than this group. Don't get me wrong, they are a fine team but the greatest time of the past 50? Not a chance. I saw all those teams play in person and they're just not that.

As far as why Yankee fans are picked on, every team's fans has their annoying moments but, unless you live in the NY area day in and day out you wouldn't understand. It's great to be a fan from where you are but it's just not the same thing.

YEAH!!!

72204026e9e5487bafb69ec07bf1464a.jpg

Congrats to SF. Your team outplayed the Phillies this week.

So long Jayson Werth.

Thanks, JH.

Been a long hard road.

My hat is off to the Phillies. A job well done.

SF was the one team that scared me this season. For some reason they just match up really well against the Phillies. Hard to believe that team of castoffs is now 4 wins away from the championship. And to think they made the playoffs on the last day of the season. Quite a run and I have a feeling it's not over for you guys yet. Enjoy the ride. Rooting for your team in the WS is a pretty special experience.

Oh and a bottle of Tums near the TV is a must. ;)

YEAH!!!

72204026e9e5487bafb69ec07bf1464a.jpg

Congrats to SF. Your team outplayed the Phillies this week.

So long Jayson Werth.

Thanks, JH.

Been a long hard road.

My hat is off to the Phillies. A job well done.

SF was the one team that scared me this season. For some reason they just match up really well against the Phillies. Hard to believe that team of castoffs is now 4 wins away from the championship. And to think they made the playoffs on the last day of the season. Quite a run and I have a feeling it's not over for you guys yet. Enjoy the ride. Rooting for your team in the WS is a pretty special experience.

Oh and a bottle of Tums near the TV is a must. ;)

Thanks, JH.

No worries...my Prilosec keeps me from burning a hole in my stomach. ^_^

Your Phillies scared the crap out of this Giants fan. Your guys were the defending NL Champs and had a team/pitching staff that would scare anybody spitless. Your guys did themselves proud, make no mistake.

Giants vs. Rangers. It's going to be a heck of a series. But, boy, following the Giants is torture, but a good torture right now.

My heartburn says otherwise...but I am still glad my guys won :g

Should be a fun WS.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Congrats Goodspeak. It's a good feeling. Hope you guys make it this time and hope you get to one of the games. Hope they get Willie to throw out the first ball at one of the games. If the Rangers were the original Senators, you could say this was a reunion of the 1924 World Series.

Not really sure how/if this has really turned into a "hate the fan" thing...it sure shouldn't...but if it turns into a "hate uber-corporate anything, including the Yankees" thing, then hey, that's ok by me.

And throw the gd f-ing Dallas Cowboys in there while you're at it.

Unfortunately those days are behind us. We're now in the days where anything is sold for money. For example, on the Mets radio telecasts, when they reach the 15th batter, a certain insurance company sponsors it.

I would take several teams over the 96-00 edition including the 1960-62 edition of the Yankees. If you're just going to count titles then there is no meaningful discussion. I would sooner take the Reds, the Baltimore teams of the 60s, the mid 70s version of the Yankees than this group. Don't get me wrong, they are a fine team but the greatest time of the past 50? Not a chance. I saw all those teams play in person and they're just not that.

We'll never know and all that since you can only hypothetically game those teams against one another--I'm just saying that my belief is far from a laughable claim, especially if you use one of the only relatively objective measuring sticks you can find, which is how the teams fared in postseason play. Consider also that the 1996-2000 Yankees had to advance through two rounds of playoffs just to make the World Series, a challenge that no team before 1969 faced in any form--and even the teams following that had to get through only one round, not two (with the wildcard and two-round league playoff system not being instituted until 1995). The winningest team in modern baseball history, the 2001 Seattle Mariners, got knocked out in the ALCS by the Yankees (coincidentally enough, the team whose 1998 edition had had its modern best win-loss record displaced by the Mariners). It's just another element that makes repeating now so tough, let alone winning the WS three times in a row.

As far as the best single-season team that I've seen in my lifetime, much as I'd like to say the '98 Yankees, who were certainly formidable, I'd probably have to vote for the 1976 Reds.

Congrats Goodspeak. It's a good feeling. Hope you guys make it this time and hope you get to one of the games. Hope they get Willie to throw out the first ball at one of the games. If the Rangers were the original Senators, you could say this was a reunion of the 1924 World Series.

It's a GREAT feeling, Brad! And thank you.

My son and I are checking into tickets...at $500 bucks a pop. So we see what we can do.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Not really sure how/if this has really turned into a "hate the fan" thing...it sure shouldn't...but if it turns into a "hate uber-corporate anything, including the Yankees" thing, then hey, that's ok by me.

Unfortunately those days are behind us. We're now in the days where anything is sold for money. For example, on the Mets radio telecasts, when they reach the 15th batter, a certain insurance company sponsors it.

Don't think the Rangers will be immune to it either, especially as they transform into a more successful franchise. They just signed an extremely lucrative extension of their TV contract with Fox...and say, Jsngry, who was that fellow sitting next to Nolan Ryan during Game 1 of the ALCS? ;):w

Don't think the Rangers will be immune to it either, especially as they transform into a more successful franchise. They just signed an extremely lucrative extension of their TV contract with Fox...and say, Jsngry, who was that fellow sitting next to Nolan Ryan during Game 1 of the ALCS? ;):w

The guy who should have stayed where he was, that's who. (like I didn't see THAT one coming! :g )

The whole money thing...it's passed/past the point of no return...it's wrong, and it's broken...and when the reality finally catches up to the truth, it's going to be ugly.

If the Rangers get to the point where they are just as much a part of the problem as those who already are, I'll turn them off too. Big is cool. Ravenous...not so much.

But that's a long way off, and may never come to pass. "The powers that be" in this world have no intention whatsoever of surrendering the status quo. Insurrections come & insurrections go, but when the smoke clears, there they are.

So for the time being, party on!

If the Rangers were the original Senators, you could say this was a reunion of the 1924 World Series.

Brad, that is not correct. The 1924 Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961. These Senators were a 1961 expansion franchise.

However, it is relevant to note that Calvin Griffith would not have received the votes to move if there had not been an expansion team for Washington as a part of the package.

Congratulations Giants! This should be one heckuva World Series!!!

My goodness, is it possible there could be NOVEMBER BASEBALL in Texas??? The mind absolutely reels! I would love it if this series goes 7 games, just to keep Jerry out of the spotlight that much longer. Because once this series ends, all attention around here reverts back to the Cowboys and the Super Bowl which will be held in their stadium but of which they will not be a part.

How sweet it would be if Jerry could be suspended in the same way Steinbrenner was suspended....

A lotta great discussion since my last post and rather than try to respond to every post, just some random thoughts:

1) I think the only people who think the Yankees are the heirs apparent to the World Series are the NY media. That said, the ESPN channel I watched last night was hosted by three very agreeable gents who had NOTHING but praise for the Rangers and offered zero excuses for the Yankees loss. They simply said the Rangers outdid the Yankees at every turn.

2) As much as I "hate" the Yankees, there's quite a few good guys on that team (i.e. I like 'em):

1. Joe Girardi, ex-Cub
  2. Kerry Wood, local boy FINALLY reaping the rewards of years of toil
  3. Robinson Cano, who scared me to death every time he came to the plate, and proved why I should've been scared damn near every time he came to the plate

OK, maybe not the biggest list. It's late, and I should be asleep but not smart enough to be.

3) Jim, remember when Tony Romo gave that kind of answer after the Cows got humiliated by the Eagles to end the season a couple years ago? He was exactly right. He also got torn a new one by the local media. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

4) I've seen a lot of classy Yankees fans who've been nothing but gracious, not only in losing, but throughout the entire series. I've also seen asshole Rangers fans, despite having nothing they can compare with to the Yankees, the Mets, the Sox (either color), the Cubs, etc. Team loyalty is a weird thing sometimes.

5) When I saw a guy in a three-piece suit at Yankee Stadium NOT named Nolan Ryan, I figured something was VERY wrong with this picture.

6) Speaking only for myself, my hatred of A-Rod has nothing to do with him leaving Texas for New York. Hell, were used to that. It was his parting shot that forever earned my ire: Playing with the Rangers is like playing with a bunch of kids. Yeah, and those kids just froze your ass on national TV. Suck it, chump.

Play ball indeed, and may this be one of the greatest World Series ever, regardless of the winner! That said, however, GO RANGERS!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Edited by Big Al

Didn't read through every comment over the last couple of pages -- but ... in regard to the comments about Yankee dominance, it's interesting to note that with Texas going to the WS this year, all but two teams in MLB will have now been to a World Series.

In the NBA, just 8 teams (I think it's 8) have won all the championships, and the Celtics and Lakers have half of those.

Edited by papsrus

Congratulations to fans of both the Rangers and the Giants. They both deserve to be where they are. I just hope both teams can continue to play at the same high level they've been at for the last week. That would make for an entertaining and exciting World Series.

Thanks, Dave. I don't care what anyone says: the Yankees played tough throughout the series. A series doesn't go six games with only one good team. I'm eternally grateful Colby Lewis shut 'em down last night, because if this had gone to a game seven, this shit woulda gotten real ugly real quickly. Not saying Cliff Lee wouldn't've been able to do the job, but nobody's perfect as CJ Wilson proved in game five and I didn't want to take a chance that the fourth time would NOT have been the charm!

And to hell with any Yankee fan (and especially media) who's second-guessing Joe Girardi right now, because I've seen the same kinds of calls from Ron Washington for the last three years, enough to make me tear the rest of my hair out, and make me wonder how the hell we even finished in first! Was our division really that bad? Or were the Rangers better than I thought? I think it's like a Yankee-fan friend of mine said after game 1, when I was ready to fire Wash in the middle of a playoff series: look at all the teams who *didn't* make the playoffs this year or any year, and you realize just how amazing it is that your team or my team is in the playoffs at all.

I've always said, post-season Yankees is a completely different monster than regular season Yankees and when they easily dispatched the Twins in the first round (the team with the best record in the AL, don't forget), I was all set for yet another replay of the previous years playoff woes. I'll tell you straight up: I'm still in a state of shock.

And I know that, to Yankees fans everywhere, our giddiness must look rather silly from the standpoint of fans of a team holding 27 world championship rings. That's alright. I'd feel the same way. So, I appreciate the class and graciousness shown by you and all the other Yankee fans on this board.

Your guys put up a helluva fight, AFAIC, which makes the Rangers finally, FINALLY, look that much more legit.

Two relocated franchises who have been in their new cities for decades and haven't won the World Series since the move. I guess it's time to move on!

And two teams with interesting narratives and characters, whom few would have predicted to be meeting in such a fashion this October.

Best comment of the night.

Don't know that much about the Rangers, but nearly every Giants' player has a great story behind him.

Two months ago if anyone had said that Cody Ross would be the Giants' MVP of the NLCS, they would have been sent to an asylum. :crazy:

Edited by BFrank

Is it just me or did that NL series look like a bunch of big mean old street guys playing big mean old street baseball? And I mean old as in grizzled, not decrepit. Hell, I halfway expected to see leather and chains before it was all over.

The Rangers gonna have their hands full, to say the least.

Is it just me or did that NL series look like a bunch of big mean old street guys playing big mean old street baseball? And I mean old as in grizzled, not decrepit. Hell, I halfway expected to see leather and chains before it was all over.

The Rangers gonna have their hands full, to say the least.

From the Mercury News:

"At one point in the game, I turned to (assistant) Dick Tidrow and I said, 'This is a street fight, and we win those,'" general manager Brian Sabean said.

Consider also that the 1996-2000 Yankees had to advance through two rounds of playoffs just to make the World Series, a challenge that no team before 1969 faced in any form--and even the teams following that had to get through only one round, not two (with the wildcard and two-round league playoff system not being instituted until 1995). The winningest team in modern baseball history, the 2001 Seattle Mariners, got knocked out in the ALCS by the Yankees (coincidentally enough, the team whose 1998 edition had had its modern best win-loss record displaced by the Mariners). It's just another element that makes repeating now so tough, let alone winning the WS three times in a row.

On the other hand at least you get a chance to play for the title with less than the best record. The 2000 Yankees had the 5th record yet made the playoffs and won the title over the Mets. In the pre-wild card days there have been clubs that played .600 ball and never got a chance as there was one team that was better.

Though I'm not sure which side I fall on. In a short series anything can happen. However it's also damn hard to win the season year after year with no "back door" to the World Series.

Didn't read through every comment over the last couple of pages -- but ... in regard to the comments about Yankee dominance, it's interesting to note that with Texas going to the WS this year, all but two teams in MLB will have now been to a World Series.

The Astro-White Sox matchup was a bit like this in that it had been a very long time vs. never. And if we're just considering cities here, then never times two.

In the NBA, just 8 teams (I think it's 8) have won all the championships, and the Celtics and Lakers have half of those.

Actually it's 17 including a dead franchise. But without a doubt baseball has had a wider variety in the World Series in the past 10 years.