CDs going out of print Corner

Guy Berger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one that will soon become OOP: the Japanese CD of "The Individualism of Gil Evans", and it just happens to be one of the best albums ever. This particular reissue has an incredibly short "availability window" of six months, which will be up any day now. Although it won't vanish the next day, I would not wait too long.

Available from the usual suspects, of course.

Sometimes, when an OOP date arrives, the stores are told to send any unsold copies back to the distributor for destruction. Horrors, but that's the way it works. An example is the 12 CD Ellington "Private Collection" box in the U.K. Great stuff, it goes OOP, and is pulverised. Uggh!

Yes, our initial run was 1,000 copies. We probably gave 300 away for promotional purposes (radio stations, festivals, clubs, etc) and CDStreet still owes us $340 from March 2003 sales, but we did manage to break even about a month ago.

Thanks for the orders, Bebop and John. I hope you enjoy the disc!

b3-er -

the disc smokes! I am really digging this album. The last track - Decoder - is my favorite so far. Excellent work, and count me in for a pre-order when the next dic is ready!

Here's one that will soon become OOP: the Japanese CD of "The Individualism of Gil Evans", and it just happens to be one of the best albums ever. This particular reissue has an incredibly short "availability window" of six months, which will be up any day now. Although it won't vanish the next day, I would not wait too long.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Shrdlu. It was on my wish-list, but your post expedited action on my part--it's now on its way from the Man in Japan, aka Mr. Tanno. What a great guy he is! He evidently visits this site from time to time, although he's not a member.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Shrdlu. It was on my wish-list, but your post expedited action on my part--it's now on its way from the Man in Japan, aka Mr. Tanno. What a great guy he is! He evidently visits this site from time to time, although he's not a member.

You're welcome! I'm just glad that my post was worthwhile.

We sure have to move quickly with a lot of those Japanese CDs. And they take a bite out of the bank account. They sound so good that the domestic CDs are usually disappointing by comparison.

Ironically, most of my Japanese CDs are of lesser, or obscure albums, purchased partly because they simply aren't available anywhere else. This Evans album is an exception to that, of course.

• 1 month later...