CDs going out of print Corner

Guy Berger

Noticed cut-outs of Andrew Hill's "Passing Ships" on eBay this week, and also at Dusty Groove (perhaps multiple cut-out copies in stock??). Dusty's price was only $9.99.

I know this isn't OOP yet (nor the other Conn's released in Oct. 2003), but are we already getting close??? :huh::huh::huh:

Is BN really cutting these things out that quickly???? :blink:

If it makes you feel any better, or um, more confused, I spotted one used cutout copy of each of the titles from the past 2 batches of RVGs at a local store. It was too late for me to take advantage of that offer.

So many of the Blue Notes, both the older issues and more recent RVG & Conns are available as cutouts at Dusty Groove that I think something else is going on rather than titles going OOP. At least I hope so!

I've bought lots of "cut out" RVGs and Connoiseurs at used and smaller record stores in Boston and Cambridge right when they were first released. These are either traded-in review copies, or examples of an old record company/record distributor scam where still shrink-wrapped "review copies" are sold "off the books," meaning that artists don't receive royalties. I guess I shouldn't really be buying these, though I do support the music financially in many other ways.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe BMG is still offering the Don Wilkerson set.

When I went to Aron's yesterday (to check it out in its closing sale), they had I think 3 copies of the US domestic Wilkerson set in the used bins. So if any of you want one...

They also said that they have so much stuff "in the back" that it may take until January or February to get it all out, and only after that would they close.

But I still bought far too much anyway, mostly LPs, oddly.

• 9 months later...

I was looking online yesterday and noticed that Thelonious Monk's Monk in Tokyo and Jazz Workshop Complete are OOP in the US, though they still seem to be in print in Europe.

I think I should pick these up...

Guy

I was surprised how long it took for me to come across a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap) copy of in Tokyo--a used copy from an Amazon seller sometime ago. Not as essential as It Club or Jazz Workshop, but nice to have.

That's strange about the Tokyo - there have already been two CD releases on Columbia in the last few years, first one with a darkish cover (I have that one) and then it came out again (with a white cover, I think), probably together with all the other Monk Legacy discs. All of those are recommended, with special mention of "Monk's Dream" (Bye-Ya is sooo infectuous!). I wonder though when they'll do a nice new reissue of the Big Band & Quartet material - the only official studio Monk (next to the Oliver Nelson album) that I haven't ever gotten around buying yet.

I wonder though when they'll do a nice new reissue of the Big Band & Quartet material - the only official studio Monk (next to the Oliver Nelson album) that I haven't ever gotten around buying yet.

Big Band & Quartet is live.

My bad, sorry... I meant to say: Columbia Monk... means I don't have any of the non-Columbia sixties releases, legit or not (Storyville, Monk family stuff, etc), except for one great Paris Tentet concert.

Believe him, king, he's right!

Oh, I sure do... but somehow I always waited (and still am waiting) for a new reissue of BBQC. I will not lay hands on the Nelson project - the two (or is it just one?) cuts in the glossy 3CD Monk boxlette (can't call that a box, as Columbia could have done a nice complete Monk studio box... not saying that they should have, but they could) are enough for me.

Sorry to bring this thread off course. To bring it back on topic, I am quite a fan of the Monk in Tokyo. I think I like the Jazz Workshop best of the three 2CD live sets, but it's the first I got, so figure... oh, it's four 2CD live sets with the Newport one (and still excluding the one I wait for a new reissue - don't ask me why I wait, btw... just because...)