GA Russell

Are there any box bargains currently available?

2,485 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Import Cds has it for $69. 

Oops!

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I wasn’t aware of that. Lately, I’ve purchased a few cds from them. They deliver relatively quickly. 

importcds has been my go-to since the mysterious caiman.com disappeared and amazon got more expensive/less competitive.

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

These are new, so you may not consider them bargains.

Tom Rush - Complete Elektra - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Elektra-Recordings-2-Cd/dp/B07Z7437XC/

Dino, Desi & Billy - The Singles A's & B's - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Singles-As-Bs-Cd/dp/B07Z74Q1XJ/

Alexis Korner - Complete Warner Bros. - $19.98
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Warner-Bros-Recordings-Cd/dp/B07Z74ZWRM/

Much cheaper from importcds on ebay.  The Tom Rush is really good, 'Circle Game' is a classic early singer/songwriter album.  The two earlier albums are an eclectic mix of his folk and rock tendencies.  The Korner and DD&B stuff (pubescent Hollywood sons of Dean Martin and Desi Arnez) are not particularly noteworthy.   Korner's important work was a decade earlier, in the group with Dick Heckstall-Smith, Cyril Davies, and Long John Baldry.

Evidently Universal won't be distributing this in the US and I was happy to find it for under $20 from Amazon sellers. I have the Webern disc and the Gurrelieder but the other 5 discs will be new to me. I love the sound of the Staatskapelle Dresden from this period. https://amazon.com/Schoenberg-Berg-Webern-Giuseppe-Sinopoli/dp/B07T2GN9H7/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

71dRlOE1hFL._SX522_.jpg

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Evidently Universal won't be distributing this in the US and I was happy to find it for under $20 from Amazon sellers. I have the Webern disc and the Gurrelieder but the other 5 discs will be new to me. I love the sound of the Staatskapelle Dresden from this period. https://amazon.com/Schoenberg-Berg-Webern-Giuseppe-Sinopoli/dp/B07T2GN9H7/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

71dRlOE1hFL._SX522_.jpg

Yes, Sinopoli's Gurrelieder is superb. 

I wasn't aware of this set. Thanks for the heads-up. :tup 

Yeah, that's working for me too, thanks.

I received an email today from oldies.com that suggests that all of their Enlightenment 4-CD jazz boxes are on sale for $6.20.

Do Enlightenment's releases sound good?

They sound OK, but the packaging is the worst of the worst.  Don't even have personnel listed.  Very low-quality feel to them, though that is a really cheap price if you order enough for the free shipping.

Thanks, John.  Eight albums for six dollars makes me not care too much about the other matters, so long as they sound good.

I take it Enlightenment is an European label. I found a thread on Hoffman about them and views are mixed, although more negative than positive. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I take it Enlightenment is an European label. I found a thread on Hoffman about them and views are mixed, although more negative than positive. 

Yes, low end European PD label.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, low end European PD label.

Generally, not a big fan of those. Moreover, if we’re talking BN I want it from BN not a knock off.

The knockoff may be cheap but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

Edited by Brad

12 hours ago, Brad said:

Generally, not a big fan of those. Moreover, if we’re talking BN I want it from BN not a knock off.

The knockoff may be cheap but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. 

I'm the same way.  I have a couple of these to fill gaps (Zoot Sims, pre-Impulse Archie Shepp, early Verve Jimmy Smith, pre-Contemporary Phineas Newborn), but generally avoid them.  Even Real Gone are better than these (those at least list recording year and personnel), and Avid are much much better.   As for Blue Note, like you, I buy the BN issues whenever I can (few exceptions are a couple stray Jimmy Smith titles and some Three Sounds).   Even Blue Note on Mosaic doesn't feel "right" to me, I like having the original artwork and liner notes, etc.

Are there other labels whose sound is as bad or worse than Real Gone and Not Now?

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Are there other labels whose sound is as bad or worse than Real Gone and Not Now?

Some of the Real Gone stuff sounds fine, they got better at it as the years went on (and they had better sources to pirate).  Not Now is the worst of the worst in every regard.   But yeah, there are plenty of cruddy sounding Euro PD labels, such as "Prestige Elite: and even some cruddy sounding Euro "legit" labels (looking at you, Hallmark)

The HRS Mosaic is on Discogs for $40.  I paid $30 for a copy without a box or giant book last year, which was a steal.  $40 for a complete set is also a bargain.  The set is a charmer. :wub:

On 11/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, GA Russell said:

I have the Jefferson Airplane Woodstock vinyl set from Real Gone and I think it sounds great. 

Edited by Brad

That's likely not the Real Gone that GA is referring to. The Real Gone Music that issued the Woodstock JA is a bona fide reissue label, legit. https://shop.realgonemusic.com/collections/all  

The other Real Gone GA mentions is a grey market budget label. We've been through this before on the forum, it's confusing as they both use the same label name.

40 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

That's likely not the Real Gone that GA is referring to. The Real Gone Music that issued the Woodstock JA is a bona fide reissue label, legit. https://shop.realgonemusic.com/collections/all  

The other Real Gone GA mentions is a grey market budget label. We've been through this before on the forum, it's confusing as they both use the same label name.

The PD Real Gone changed their name to "Reel to Reel" about a year ago, and have been republishing their sets under that label name with a different artwork design.  First picture is the design they used as "Real Gone", second is the one they use as Reel to Reel.  And that is for their jazz releases - their pop releases used different designs yet.  And they've gotten much better with their sound, are light years ahead of Not Now, but nonetheless, they are a PD label, as discussed ad nauseum through the years here.

Eight Classic Albums Vol. 2 * by John Coltrane (4 CD, 2012, Real Gone) Import

JOHN COLTRANE-VOL 2: EIGHT CLASSIC ALBUMS CD NEW

Brad, Lon is correct.

John, thank you for telling us that the Reel to Reels sound OK.