Whynot or Why Not label

romualdo

The mysterious Red Trumpet used to carry this label on a regular basis, and often enough on sale. Everything I got was good or better.

Oh my - the late lamented Red Trumpet. Located in York, PA as I recall.

Bought a lot of stuff from them when they were in business. :(

I have the George Cables on vinyl (very nice) and would really like to get the Walt Dickerson !

New member here. Yes the Dickerson is excellent. I have the Japanese version. The other Dickerson disc from this time (Tell me only the beautiful things) is even better. The opening unaccompanied solo on the first track is one of my favourite Dickerson moments, and Ware is very fine throughout. The two Air albums also fine.

Are there two Dickersons then? I thought that the Why Not Dickerson cd was Tell Me Only The Beautiful Things.

Edited by djcavanagh

Yes, there are two different CDs available now (I've just checked the Candid website). 1976 has a stray track from the "Tell me only the beautiful things" session with Wilbur Ware, but the rest is with Rudy McDaniel. Both excellent, but for me, Ware's contribution gives the edge to "Tell me..."

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Dusty Groove has this in stock (the Jazz Record Mart didn't when I was in yesterday). Has anyone recieved a copy yet and if so can you confirm if it is a cd rather than cdr?

I received the Dickerson yesterday. Terrific album, the quality is good too. It's a regular CD. I have all of the Candid/WhyNot releases, and none of them is CDR.

Edited by Trane

From jazzdiscography.com:

Date: July 21, 1975

Label: Why Not

Walt Dickerson (ldr), Walt Dickerson (vib), Wilbur Ware (b), Andrew Cyrille (d)

a. a-01 The Nexus - 22:38 (Walt Dickerson)

b. b-01 Tell Us Only The Beautiful Things - 18:30 (Walt Dickerson)

Both titles on: Why Not LP 12": PA 7118 Tell Us Only The Beautiful Things

===================

Date: 1976

Label: Why Not

Walt Dickerson (ldr), Walt Dickerson (vib), Wilbur Ware (b), Jamaaladeen Tacuma (eb), Edgar Bateman (d)

a. 01 Sky - 10:17 (Walt Dickerson)

b. 02 Awareness - 4:29 (Walt Dickerson)

c. 03 Keys Of Wisdom - 5:59 (Walt Dickerson)

d. 04 Yesterdays - 9:24 (Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach)

e. 05 I Love You - 12:00 (Cole Porter)

All titles on: Why Not CD: MTCJ 2009 1976

Wilbur Ware (b) on c-e; Jamaaladeen Tacuma (eb) on a; Edgar Bateman (d) on a, c-e.

Probably multiple sessions. No details.

Edited by relyles

Just buy the music.

That's right! I'm sure you'll never hear any difference in sound quality between a CD and a CD-R.

I was intending to do so. I have a strong personal preference for cds over cd-rs, however, which I see no reason to apologise for.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to be rude it's just that I have quite a few CD-Rs and I've never noticed any difference in sound between them and the original CDs.

IS there any difference between the two recording media?

Edited by Head Man

No problem.

It isn't the sound as much as the long-term robustness. In my experience cd-rs tend to scratch much more easily and I have had trouble in the past ripping them to my hard drive.

Edited to say that the comment wasn't in response to both comments that had been made rather than to yours alone.

Edited by djcavanagh

No problem.

It isn't the sound as much as the long-term robustness. In my experience cd-rs tend to scratch much more easily and I have had trouble in the past ripping them to my hard drive.

Edited to say that the comment wasn't in response to both comments that had been made rather than to yours alone.

As a point of clarification on my part: Any new release on cdr is unlikely to be issued on cd at any point unless it is an amazing success.

Agreed (although at least one of the Sun Ra Transparency sets was) but I could also have searched for the Japanese cd issue, although obviously this would have tested my preference given the likely price differential.

In any event I'm picking it up from Dusty Groove today. Am looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the previous Dickerson release.