Article on Monk Jazz Piano Competition

N.Y. Times Article on the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Piano Competition

I haven't heard any of the competitors, but reading the list of judges - a collection of hacks and has beens - and the list of "personages", as The Times refers to them, who appeared or performed on stage - Jennifer Hudson, Doug E. Fresh, Chaka Khan, Dianne Reeves, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kurt Elling, Jane Monheit, and even Aretha, who's more of a monument than a creative force these days - it says a lot about what the state of jazz is today or, at least, what a lot of folks want it to be. Monk must be turning over in his grave.

What did Mr. Bowers have that the judges wanted? Polish, understatement, breadth. He made the piano sound clear and pleasing, and he got along with the rhythm section.

All of which means, what, exactly? That the young man has good musical manners & treats his band to sandwiches & soft drinks?

Admirable & valuable qualities to be sure, but I don't see what it has to do specifically with jazz itself.

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but could Monk have won his own competition?

you damn well know the answer--

* Ellis is a never was whose only claim besides being a VERY bad (genetic) seed is alleged '50s friendship with Ornette

* Herbie hasn't done shit even half worthwhile in what, 30 years?

* Moran is well-groomed garbage, devoid of genuine creativity and not even an appealing moire of other folks moves

* whatever spark Rosnes or Perez might have once had is long extinguished to mere careering

Hampton Hawes couldn't win, Fess Manetta couldn't win, Muhal-- please!!!

more genuine jazz blues & jackie-ing than all these douchemeat judges combined --->

moon jazz 1

moon jazz 2

What did Mr. Bowers have that the judges wanted? Polish, understatement, breadth. He made the piano sound clear and pleasing, and he got along with the rhythm section.

All of which means, what, exactly? That the young man has good musical manners & treats his band to sandwiches & soft drinks?

Admirable & valuable qualities to be sure, but I don't see what it has to do specifically with jazz itself.

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but could Monk have won his own competition?

Edited by MomsMobley

Everybody plays well by the time you get to that point.

Not to knock playing well, I mean, it's a bitch in and of itself, but the people who truly leave a mark, be it for one chorus or one lifetime, do something besides just play well.

Which is not to say that any of thee people can't, won't, or haven't already done more than just play well, but me, I'm looking for somebody who can et people to screamin' and shit. Against their will and/or better judgment.Not that that's all there is, but...it feels better to me if it's at least in the air. Somewhere.

Then again, it just might not be those kind of times, and these may not be those kind of people.

In which case, thank god for baseball. I can still get my involuntary gut reaction on there.

Notwithstanding the descriptions in the article or anyone's opinions about the judges, I am not sure we can credibly say anything about these particular competitors unless we have actually heard them. Not that anyone here has, but it seems a little like they have been prematurely dismissed based on the article and judges.