Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok if the dodgers are worth $2B

What are the yanks worth? $5B

I wouldn't give you ten cents for either of them.

As far as the Yanks, why not? Through their sports station, YES, they are pulling in incredible amounts of money, plus there is marketing, etc. I'm not sure they're worth $5 Billion but they are worth quite a bit of money.

Like it or not, the Yankees are the highest-valued franchise in the game and probably the world. The fact that the Dodgers were sold for 5 billion means that the new floor for the Yankees is $5 billion and one.

The question is, do the other second-tier teams, the Red Sox and Cubs, go above or below the Dodgers? The answer is probably right along side of them.

And the Yankees are above everybody.

Ok if the dodgers are worth $2B

What are the yanks worth? $5B

I wouldn't give you ten cents for either of them.

As far as the Yanks, why not? Through their sports station, YES, they are pulling in incredible amounts of money, plus there is marketing, etc. I'm not sure they're worth $5 Billion but they are worth quite a bit of money.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing I actually spent money on either team.

I am now feeling so battered by both professional and college teams I am about to swear off sports as part of my "entertainment package". Been going to Cubs and Bears games for years and it might be hard to decouple. Really difficult to leave when both teams have new management - oh, I might have heard that before. :unsure:

The only thing worse than having McCourt run your franchise into the ground is having someone overpay for the team in a deal that will will tank the Dodgers for the foreseeable future.

"It's the craziest deal ever; it makes no sense. That's why you saw so many groups drop out," said Mark Rosentraub, a University of Michigan sports management professor. "I don't get it. The numbers just don't work. It doesn't make business sense. Nobody came up with this number. Under the most favorable circumstance you broke $1.1 billion with $1.4 billion getting crazy. Now you're up in the $2 billion range, which is over $800 million more than what pencils out for a profitable investment for a baseball team. If making money doesn't count, this is a great move. But now we're into buying art and I can't value art. I can just run the model numbers and this doesn't make sense."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7747848/economist-2b-los-angeles-dodgers-makes-no-sense

The only thing worse than having McCourt run your franchise into the ground is having someone overpay for the team in a deal that will will tank the Dodgers for the foreseeable future.

"It's the craziest deal ever; it makes no sense. That's why you saw so many groups drop out," said Mark Rosentraub, a University of Michigan sports management professor. "I don't get it. The numbers just don't work. It doesn't make business sense. Nobody came up with this number. Under the most favorable circumstance you broke $1.1 billion with $1.4 billion getting crazy. Now you're up in the $2 billion range, which is over $800 million more than what pencils out for a profitable investment for a baseball team. If making money doesn't count, this is a great move. But now we're into buying art and I can't value art. I can just run the model numbers and this doesn't make sense."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7747848/economist-2b-los-angeles-dodgers-makes-no-sense

At a $2Billion pricetag, to make any money the ticket prices have to go up a LOT, parking, too, etc. They could wind up like the Yanks, where going to a game is out of reach for most folks. I went to a Yankee game in 2001, and a guy on my job gave me tickets. They were 8th row between third and home. Face price of the tix? $50 Today, those seats are $1250 and frequently go empty.

Goodspeak doesn't like money!

Oh, I like money alright...I just have no use for the Dodgers or the Yankees.

But I would love a piece of the far more likable Giants :g

Likeable Giants? Hmm... To each their own :)

Thanks!

The Giants have a family friendly ballpark, success in baseball [three WS appearances since the Dodgers' 1988 WS] and sold out games which rival the [hated] Dodgers. If you want to make money, invest in the Giants. If you want to deal with shootings and beatings with the ensuing lawsuits and in a ballpark named after a ditch, invest in the Dodgers.

The Yankees, OTOH, are just plain detestable. Nuff said?

Thanks!

The Giants have a family friendly ballpark, success in baseball [three WS appearances since the Dodgers' 1988 WS] and sold out games which rival the [hated] Dodgers. If you want to make money, invest in the Giants. If you want to deal with shootings and beatings with the ensuing lawsuits and in a ballpark named after a ditch, invest in the Dodgers.

Relax, I was just kidding. No need to get your knickers in a twist, as they say on this side of the pond.

Before everyone gets too upset, read how much the Dodgers will make off of future tv contracts....

http://online.wsj.co...sNewsCollection

I'll wait and see on this one, McCourt is still involved under this deal, and that was the reason the other two groups dropped out. Even though I love Magic, his presence means nothing in my mind. Still, the Dodger tv rights have to be at lest fifty-percent more than the Angles -- really, no one cares about the Angles in L.A., it's all Dodger blue here.

Thanks!

Relax, I was just kidding. No need to get your knickers in a twist, as they say on this side of the pond.

No worries.

I was just having a little fun is all.

Always with the cheap shots, Goodie.

I dunno.

$2.15 billion doesn't sound very cheap to me ^_^

Disclaimer: Dodger hater since birth.

The Yankees trade for Michael Pineda is looking shakier by the day. Since Spring training began, he's had problems with his velocity and now he's apparently tweaked something behind his shoulder. He'll undergo an MRI on Monday, but right now, I'd say his chances of being on the opening day roster are pretty slim. I just hope whatever it is that ails him can be determined and, more importantly, corrected.

I'll admit to being impressed by this interview with Magic Johnson. While it remains to be seen what he and his partners can make out of the mess that is Dodger baseball, he sure says all the right things. I'd have to think that most fans are cautiously optimistic. There's no way this could play out any worse than the last seven years.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7756922&categoryid=2378529

Well...as much as I like Magic Johnson [Lakers fan here], I have absolutely no wish for the Dodgers to become suddenly successful anytime in the near and/or distant future.

Sorry, Noj.

Dodger Blue makes me want to, well...it isn't pretty.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I have to agree with you, Matthew.

Everytime the athletes and their agents get a wild hair, the teams throw crazy money at them...then we fans pay that much more for a seat at the ballpark.

And don't even get me started on the price of a lousy beer and a hot dog. Gah!