Pink Floyd "Animals"

Tom 1960

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you? I did a search yesterday and didn't find Animals, only an electronic tribute to it.

It's on there, but the opening and closing "Pigs On The Wing" aren't available to stream. They have most of the Floyd albums, missing some of the late 60s/early 70s releases.

Thanks, I'll check again when I get home. I've noticed that spotify's db/servers can be wonky sometimes...or maybe I just searched for one of the unavailable tracks.

you all have the 8 track version where pigs on the wings pts 1, 2 are connected into 1 piece by a snowy white electric guitar solo?

You mean this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emn4t1syDQ0

Loved that you tube clip. Thanks for sharing! All this good discussion has persuaded me to purchase the remastered cd version.

And maybe Roger Waters isn't the greatest bass player in the world, but he does some handy work on the fretless on this album, which is alright with me!

Gilmour played bass on the studio recordings of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" and "Sheep" (not sure about "Dogs" - but I seem to remember that was all Roger). Apologies that I don't have time at this very moment to provide citations, but I'm pretty sure these are both fairly well established, from everything I've seen on-line.

Can you? I did a search yesterday and didn't find Animals, only an electronic tribute to it.

It's on there, but the opening and closing "Pigs On The Wing" aren't available to stream. They have most of the Floyd albums, missing some of the late 60s/early 70s releases.

Thanks, I'll check again when I get home. I've noticed that spotify's db/servers can be wonky sometimes...or maybe I just searched for one of the unavailable tracks.

Nope, still nada. Are you paying for Spotify Premium? All I can see when I do a search is the tracks below. The PF artist page only shows DSOTM and Pulse as available.

So either there's a bug (maybe whatever Spotify datacenter serves Northern California has some albums missing), or Spotify restricts some tracks from being played by some users (those who are only using the free version or maybe those who have played X number of hours for free already).

post-35-0-40478600-1331597089_thumb.jpg

And maybe Roger Waters isn't the greatest bass player in the world, but he does some handy work on the fretless on this album, which is alright with me!

Gilmour played bass on the studio recordings of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" and "Sheep" (not sure about "Dogs" - but I seem to remember that was all Roger). Apologies that I don't have time at this very moment to provide citations, but I'm pretty sure these are both fairly well established, from everything I've seen on-line.

That is correct. There's a quote from Gilmour here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_%28song%29

Snowy White would play bass on "Sheep" and "Pigs" in live concerts, while Waters played rhythm guitar.

Nope, still nada. Are you paying for Spotify Premium? All I can see when I do a search is the tracks below. The PF artist page only shows DSOTM and Pulse as available.

So either there's a bug (maybe whatever Spotify datacenter serves Northern California has some albums missing), or Spotify restricts some tracks from being played by some users (those who are only using the free version or maybe those who have played X number of hours for free already).

Odd, I don't pay for Spotify, I'm using the free version.

I don't dispute that The Wall is a triumph, but over the years, I've grown to have less and less and less use for it.

In the legal wranglings over the Pink Floyd name in 1987, Roger got the full ownership rights to The Wall in the settlement (save for the 2 or 3 specific tunes Dave wrote, namely Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb). So, as a matter of law, The Wall 'belongs' to Roger -- which is how I feel it should be. It's a GREAT Roger Waters album, for those who like such things, but The Wall doesn't feel much at all like Pink Floyd to me. If I owned a complete collection of Floyd and Roger Water's solo output, I'd file The Wall and The Final Cut under "W" at the beginning of Roger's solo work.

Thus, Animals is the last 'real' Pink Floyd album, in my mind -- though I do fancy about half of the tracks from Gilmour's later efforts under the Pink Floyd name (even if they don't feel like real Pink Floyd either).

Odd, I don't pay for Spotify, I'm using the free version.

Circling back on this before I email Spotify support. Are you sure that you aren't seeing Animals in Spotify only because you've previously ripped the album locally and Spotify has automatically imported it? Or maybe remembered seeing Animals in some other music service? Because this is what Spotify's current help content reads:

http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/content/

Why can’t I find a track, album or artist I’m looking for?

We aim to have all the world’s music available at Spotify. We are still in the process of acquiring licenses to all music in the world (!), therefore it is possible that you won’t be able to find some of your favourite artists or tracks right now. We are signing new labels and adding a great amount of new tracks every week. Hopefully your favorite music will be up soon.

Unfortunately there are some artists who have opted not to be a part of Spotify at this point in time. Some frequently requested artists that are not in Spotify include Metallica, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. We hope that they change their minds regarding streaming soon!

Edited by Big Wheel

• 1 year later...

Just listened to Wish You Were Here on Blu-ray the other night with my son. First time he'd heard it, and really liked it.

The surround sound SACD is a real audio treat (if you like that sort of thing). Actually, the whole package is a real treat. If you like Floyd and like "Wish You Were Here", I'd recommend not waiting until it's gone. It may be one of those expensive discs in the future.