Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Late

LF: TOCJ 5884

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the 1994 Japanese issue of Cecil Taylor's Jazz Advance, TOCJ 5884. If you have any leads, please PM!

I noticed that there are currently two copies at amazon.co.jp — I've never purchased from Amazon Japan, so thoughts/tips/advice in this regard are welcomed. Thanks!

I have ordered a few times from Amazon Japan and from third party sellers on Amazon Japan (note that most of them don't ship outside Japan) and I've never had any problems. Their shipping rates are pretty high, though not as steep has HMV Japan's.

Member "bluerein" offered me that disc a few years ago, at a pretty high price. I didn't take him up on his offer. No idea if he still has it. He can be contacted at info@jazzcenter.nl

Edited by J.A.W.

Why that particular issue?

I've got the old brown twofer, which has served me well.

And I've got TOCJ-9348 (mono) from 2001.

Is it because of the 24-bit remaster by 'mad scientist', Dr. Van Gelder?

(It sounds right to my ears.)

I have both the domestic (U.S.) issue (1991) and TOCJ 9348, the latter of which isn't horrible, but halfway through you can begin to hear the "bell rattle" (a remastering artifact?) which plagued the initial reissues of The Soothsayer and Clubhouse.

I love this session, and am wanting to hear the first Japanese reissue. Apparently it's TOCJ 5888 and not 5884?

Huh. I've heard the 1991 reissue, which my dad has, and that always sounded fine to my ears. I've seen the mini-LP reissue, which is attractive, but since I already have the material on a decent vinyl issue, I've never bothered to investigate further.

Same here. I'm happy with that 1991 BN reissue and what Malcolm Addey did then with the audio.

Regarding TOCJ-9348, the 24-bit remaster from 2001:

I've played tracks 4-7 and then once again.

Listening intently, I couldn't detect the 'bell rattle', but wished someone had answered that damn phone.

:winky:

I still have it but not for sale anymore........good luck searching!

... good luck searching!

I was able to purchase this title from a board member. (Thanks!)

It sounds very good to me. More "mono" sounding than the other editions, and more natural (seemingly with less, or no, compression). It is, however, lacking the bonus track, so keeping TOCJ 9348 is imperative.