Looking for Haydn keyboard sonatas recommendations

J.A.W.

Guess this one would make a good CD for testing then:

R-389906-1106980251.jpg

smile.gif

I know you're not too serious about that suggestion, but it really is not, as those "modern" harpsichords tuned to a=440 Hz, high string tension, case and soundboard construction adapted from modern grand pianos sound pretty awful - when they were built, our knowledge about harpsichord construction between 1600 and 1800 was not as advanced as it is now. Ancient harpsichords have far more overtones and a much richer sound. I'll look for harpsichord recital recommendations in Zurich in the magazines I subscribed - try and go hear a good instrument live.

Edited by mikeweil

Guess this one would make a good CD for testing then:

R-389906-1106980251.jpg

smile.gif

I know you're not too serious about that suggestion, but it really is not, as those "modern" harpsichords tuned to a=440 Hz, high string tension, case and soundboard construction adapted from modern garnd pianos sound pretty awful - when they were built, our knowledge about harpsichord construction between 1600 and 1800 was not as advanced as it is now. Ancient harpsichords have far more overtones and a much richer sound. I'll look for harpsichord recital recommendations in Zurich in the magazines I decribed - try and go hear a good instrument live.

Oh, please do! I'm quite lost when it comes to picking concerts ... and I would tend to rather go for modern stuff - but solo harpsichord would definitely be interesting!

And obviously I was just joking :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Played the two Haydn discs from the Staier Edition for the first time in the past days and found them surprisingly good (surprisingly, since I, too, am not that convinced by the fortepiano so far).

Been playing some out of the Staier Edition 10 CD set - and with the Haydn again, I must reinforce that statement: These are very good recordings to my ears! Wonderful sound, too.

There's a third volume (Sonatas and Variations) not included in the 10 CD set, alas, but for those inclined, all three are around in a 3 CD set, too.

• 2 years later...

Kicking this one back up with the respectful observation that the "What are you listening to?" thread has become a disaster. 

Everything is buried there, intimate observations and casual streaming, Tatum knows how many pages of Haydn alone if we put it back together... How is anyone going to find it? If it's someone like Egon Wellesz, OK, there's probably not too many 'hits' but...

Ubu, where did you come to stand on Brautigam? I recall it as disappointing, overall-- better than his Mozart with the boomy acoustic, not nearly as hot as the Beethoven that was forthcoming. Granted, I'll almost always prefer a fortepiano in this repertoire but I might also recall Mikhael Pletnev a strong Haydnista too.

Ubu, where did you come to stand on Brautigam? I recall it as disappointing, overall-- better than his Mozart with the boomy acoustic, not nearly as hot as the Beethoven that was forthcoming. Granted, I'll almost always prefer a fortepiano in this repertoire but I might also recall Mikhael Pletnev a strong Haydnista too.

I've not come far yet but found it more gripping, more forward-driving than Schornsheim - but I really need more time to dig deeper.

• 2 weeks later...

no progress on Brautigam (or Schornsheim) yet, but I played these two for the first time yesterday and enjoyed both:

MI0001105288.jpg41vHI3m45XL.jpg

Bilson does Hob XVI:50, 43, 39, 20 and 40 (in that order), Cerasi offers Hob XVI:48 and 4 on fortepiano (a Schantz as well, different spelling on the cover), then Hob XIV:19 on a clavichord, and finally Hob XIV:42 and the Andante and Variations in f minor Hob XVII:6 again on fortepiano.