colinmce

Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

1,784 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

 

Look for Proton Pump with Sakata. With Corsano ripping it up plus Satoh on piano.

Amazing recording 

 

Lining it up on Spotters as we speak...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely looks worthy of investigation.

Satoh is at Oto next week, not with Sakata sadly but still worth a trip I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 0:21 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Looks Good. Thanks for bringing this thread up. I’m sure I’ll get this at some point.

More importantly for me is to make sure I get those live recordings on Oturoku as both of those should satisfy my interest in the more old school side of my improvisational ear.

most recently I’ll STRONGLY recommend the following recordings. Many very fine abstract recordings have been exciting me but these might be the most interesting and editing of what I’ve been listening to:

Tidal Heating - guitar, bass drums on Not Two

Michal Dymny on guitar, Rafal Mazur on acoustic bass guitar & Vasco Trilla on the drum kit

 

Old Smoke - sax, bass & drums on Relative Pitch. Steve Baczkowski on saxophones, Brandon Lopez on double bass & Chris Corsano on drums. Blistering.

 

Bind the Hand(s) That Feed - Sax, bassoon/electronics & drums/percussion

Michael Foster on saxophones, Katherine Young on bassoon & electronic effects with the *great* Michael Zerang on all things percussive. Maybe my favorite new recording I’ve heard over the past year or so.

 

plus all newer Dave Rempis releases but especially look for Kuzu with a guitarist & drummer that are new to me. Tasha Dorji on guitar & Tyler Damon on drums. WOW.

 

Hey Steve, thanks for the shout out to Tyler Damon here--he's a friend of mine, lived in Bloomington for a few years before recently moving to Chicago.  An amazing musician for sure.  Saw him last with Dave Rempis at Bloomington's Blockhouse and they all but set the place on fire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready for round 2 from Anthony Braxton Quartet (2014) New Haven on Firehouse 12 Records 

4 CD set - 4 continuous improvisations - each between 57 & 64 minutes   

Braxton plays only saxophones (no clarinets and for whatever reasons I’ve never been attracted to the sounds Braxton creates on any of the clarinets he plays) - from the beastly contrabass saxophone up through the sopranino Sax. 

His riffing and wailing and skronking on both the bass saxophone & contrabass saxophone throughout this recording along would make this the best improv release I’ve heard this year but add in Taylor Ho Bynum who plays in his very attractive virtuosic very jazz like manner on 5 different brass instruments ranging from his trumphone to a piccolo trumpet IIRC, then this mega-session is elevated beyond that.

They asked the duo of Nels Cline on electric guitar and Greg Saunier on drums to join them to complete the quartet. Story goes that Braxton and Bynum was the others play a duet show and Anthony was excited enough to plan this session. I’ve seen Nels live in different groups maybe 4 or 5 times and he’s always good but here he is spectacular in his voicing and is totally immersed in the group improv esthetic. Saunier takes some getting used to but he builds up the sound of the group to great walls of beautiful rocked out glory. Wow. 

for me among the most exciting new recordings I’ve heard in the past couple of years. Once I adapted to the switching horns approach, I’ve enjoyed each subsequent disc more than the last but I have zero idea if that amazing 4th Disc is any better than the 1st Disc!!!

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Ready for round 2 from Anthony Braxton Quartet (2014) New Haven on Firehouse 12 Records 

4 CD set - 4 continuous improvisations - each between 57 & 64 minutes   

Braxton plays only saxophones (no clarinets and for whatever reasons I’ve never been attracted to the sounds Braxton creates on any of the clarinets he plays) - from the beastly contrabass saxophone up through the sopranino Sax. 

His riffing and wailing and skronking on both the bass saxophone & contrabass saxophone throughout this recording along would make this the best improv release I’ve heard this year but add in Taylor Ho Bynum who plays in his very attractive virtuosic very jazz like manner on 5 different brass instruments ranging from his trumphone to a piccolo trumpet IIRC, then this mega-session is elevated beyond that.

They asked the duo of Nels Cline on electric guitar and Greg Saunier on drums to join them to complete the quartet. Story goes that Braxton and Bynum was the others play a duet show and Anthony was excited enough to plan this session. I’ve seen Nels live in different groups maybe 4 or 5 times and he’s always good but here he is spectacular in his voicing and is totally immersed in the group improv esthetic. Saunier takes some getting used to but he builds up the sound of the group to great walls of beautiful rocked out glory. Wow. 

for me among the most exciting new recordings I’ve heard in the past couple of years. Once I adapted to the switching horns approach, I’ve enjoyed each subsequent disc more than the last but I have zero idea if that amazing 4th Disc is any better than the 1st Disc!!!

:tup

I was curious to see what you would make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 10:16 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Ready for round 2 from Anthony Braxton Quartet (2014) New Haven on Firehouse 12 Records 

4 CD set - 4 continuous improvisations - each between 57 & 64 minutes   

Braxton plays only saxophones (no clarinets and for whatever reasons I’ve never been attracted to the sounds Braxton creates on any of the clarinets he plays) - from the beastly contrabass saxophone up through the sopranino Sax. 

His riffing and wailing and skronking on both the bass saxophone & contrabass saxophone throughout this recording along would make this the best improv release I’ve heard this year but add in Taylor Ho Bynum who plays in his very attractive virtuosic very jazz like manner on 5 different brass instruments ranging from his trumphone to a piccolo trumpet IIRC, then this mega-session is elevated beyond that.

They asked the duo of Nels Cline on electric guitar and Greg Saunier on drums to join them to complete the quartet. Story goes that Braxton and Bynum was the others play a duet show and Anthony was excited enough to plan this session. I’ve seen Nels live in different groups maybe 4 or 5 times and he’s always good but here he is spectacular in his voicing and is totally immersed in the group improv esthetic. Saunier takes some getting used to but he builds up the sound of the group to great walls of beautiful rocked out glory. Wow. 

for me among the most exciting new recordings I’ve heard in the past couple of years. Once I adapted to the switching horns approach, I’ve enjoyed each subsequent disc more than the last but I have zero idea if that amazing 4th Disc is any better than the 1st Disc!!!

Man, I gave up on Braxton 15 years ago, still can't recover from hearing this: 

But I am looking forward to seeing Rodrigo Amado with Joe McPhee tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Man, I gave up on Braxton 15 years ago, still can't recover from hearing this: 

But I am looking forward to seeing Rodrigo Amado with Joe McPhee tonight. 

Where and with who else or is it a duo.

I never even tried any of the Braxton “standards” recordings except the Monk, Marsh & Charlie Parker projects. I always thought that stuff was hit or miss. Usually the best things/aspects would be the other musicians (Paul Smoker, Joe Fonda Misha Mengelberg & Han Bennink on the Parker music for example).

This quartet music/improvised music has little to do with any of the above. 

I sure wish to get a chance to see the quartet live if they ever choose to set up some concerts.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braxton has still got it. His latest solo album Solo (Victoriaville) 2017 sits proudly alongside previous efforts. Some of the Diamond Curtain Wall Music recordings are also worth considering. The best are probably Trio (Victoriaville) 2007 & Quartet (Mestre) 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Where and with who else or is it a duo.

This was the Rodrigo Amado quarter with Kent Kessler and Chris Corsano. McPhee was playing tenor exclusively, and he was playing beautifully. He seemed to be in quite a lyrical mood (having turned 80 two days ago might have had something to do with it). Unfortunately, Amado insisted on playing non-stop all through the set. There literally were no more than 10 minutes cumulatively in a 1.5-hour set when he did not play. There were probably four minutes when McPhee played without Amado, the these were the highlights of the concert. When they were playing together they were mostly drowning each other out. McPhee is one of my favorite musicians, and I saw him live probably 10 times, and it was never that good - I tend to blame his sidemen (the trio with John Edwards and Klaus Kugel I saw last year was extremely boring fire-music skronkfest). I wish I saw Trio X... 

Amado fell back on the same licks all the time, was very repetitive. I've heard an enjoyed quite a few albums with him, and today was the worst I've heard him do.

Corsano was quite interesting but man is his bass drum bashing annoying.     

McPhee will now proceed to Wels Music Unlimited festival where he is one of the featured artists: http://www.waschaecht.at/music-unlimited/    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.