Do you smoke?

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been a serial quitter for the past few years, I'm afraid. There's a box of Chantix in my medicine cabinet waiting for my next run at it, which I'm targeting for later this month. It's a tough deal, though, and for me requires a holistic approach that involves changes in lifestyle, as well as changes in habits. All positive changes, but nonetheless fairly sharp changes. (more exercise, different diet, etc.)

I have few other vices, other than caffeine. Don't drink, just the occasional glass of wine. And don't do drugs. Although I'd argue that cigarettes are one of the most powerfully addictive drugs there is.

I've been a serial quitter for the past few years, I'm afraid. There's a box of Chantix in my medicine cabinet waiting for my next run at it, which I'm targeting for later this month. It's a tough deal, though, and for me requires a holistic approach that involves changes in lifestyle, as well as changes in habits. All positive changes, but nonetheless fairly sharp changes. (more exercise, different diet, etc.)

I have few other vices, other than caffeine. Don't drink, just the occasional glass of wine. And don't do drugs. Although I'd argue that cigarettes are one of the most powerfully addictive drugs there is.

I gave up trying to quit in 1972 :D

Tobacco is very addictive; roll-ups more so than manufactured ones, I understand.

MG

I started when I was about 16, quit successfully when I was 30. I had quit for nearly a year twice before, and slid back both times. Have been off them for about 37 years now. The temptation persists long after the addiction appears to have been cured, although after all these years, I am mostly disgusted by the idea.

Cigars 3-4 times a month max, but never cigarettes.

Never understood the concept of inhaling smoke...on purpose.

Cigars I like manly because of the aroma. Nothing like the blue smoke of a well made hand-rolled stogie, IMHO. Besides, inhale one of those things and you'll cough up your spleen.

The cigar and pipe users ARE smokers. I mention this because over the years I've come across many who have said something like "I don't smoke....just a cigar once in a while or a pipe."

Believe me, having been a 2 packs of cigs smoker, pipes and cigars were the logical way to step down from tobacco use for me.

I stopped cigarette smoke in 1972 and probably went another 2 years or so smoking cigars. Never really enjoyed [tobacco] pipes even though my grandpa and dad both did for years.

The health risks are lower, but many still many potential problems do come along for the ride.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

probably not legal but I have a 90 day supply of Chantix. This is what got me off and my insurance resupplied me before I knew it. If you want it and really wish to try contact me. No money involved.

The first 90 day supply cured me after 40+ years and dozens of failures.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I basically never smoked, save for maybe a dozen individual cigarettes in college - just to see what it was like.

Fortunately I never got even the least bit hooked -- then again, I swore I *NEVER* would (even before I tried my first one).

My mom smoked her whole life, and it probably contributed to the stroke that ended her life when she was 69 (about 10 years ago). Growing up in a household with a smoker made me resolve never to become one. My dad smoked for maybe 10(?) years back in the late 50's, I think -- but one day he decided to stop, and he never picked up another one after that.

When I was a very young boy, my uncle gave in to my curiosity and handed me his lit cigarette. I took a big huge gulp, turned green, and proceeded to barf for about 5 minutes afterward. My mother was not too happy with said uncle (best uncle ever - let me drive his car while sitting on his lap shortly after the great cigarette experiment). Years went by and I managed to avoid tobacco smoke (though not the alternative smoke) when my grandfather (unfiltered Pall Mall smoker) had trouble with emphysema. I visited him in the hospital when they attempted to pump the tar goo out of his lungs. Seeing that black plastic bag just turned me off from smoking forever. It's an image that's stuck to me to this day. That and hearing my grandfather fight for each breath until his blocks of tar stopped working.