Live recordings you were in attendance

Hardbopjazz

Are the any recordings you were in the audience when they were being recorded? I found two that I was at when these were being recorded. Cedar Walton Sextet "The Art Blakey Legacy," and "Bambino." Both were recorded at Sweet Basil in NYC in 1993. I didn't know at the time these would be issued. I would have clapped and cheered louder so I can say, "That's me."

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that must have been a great concert to have been present for.

Two separate concerts actually. They were great - Jimmy Lyons, Eddie Gale, Alan Silva, and Andrew Cyrille with Cecil, and Don Ayler, Call Cobbs, Junie Booth, and Milford Graves with Albert Ayler. It would be great if that film footage would surafce.

Ornette Coleman, Opening the Caravan of Dreams,

Ronald Shannon Jackson, When Colors Play, Earned Dreams, and Live at the Caravan of Dreams.

James Blood Ulmer, Live at the Caravan of Dreams,

David Newman, James Clay, Cornell Dupree, Texas Jazz Reunion

George Coleman, Manhattan Panorama,

Keith Jarrett, Changeless

Buddy Guy, The Real Deal

51h57Hn4hYL._SY300_.jpg51XLDoqAcTL._SY300_.jpg

I was at these. The Old and New Dreams was part of an "Ed Blackwell Festival" - three nights, I believe. The first night's performance by the American Jazz Quintet (with Alvin Batiste and Ellis Marsalis) was issued as From Bad to Baddest, but I couldn't go that night. Old and New Dreams was followed by the Ornette Coleman Quartet, with Ornette, Cherry, Haden, and Blackwell. That was an amazing evening; maybe Ornette's set will see the light of day at some point.

Several shows from the now-closed E.J.'s in Atlanta have been issued on CD, and I'm pretty sure I was at several of them. The Dexter Gordon show is a definite. The owner of the club asked us to be patient, because "LTD" also apparently stood for "Late Tall Dexter."

Hilton Ruiz 'Live In Birdland' recorded for Candid back in 1991 (or was it 92?). Producer Alan Bates was at a nearby table I think, along with Mark Morganelli. No more than about 15 people in the audience.

George Russell Living Time Orchestra '80th Birthday Concert'. Really must buy the CDs..

Recordings of the 'Louis Bellson Explosion' and the George Coleman Quartet recorded at Ronnie Scotts. Put out on Pye/Ronnie's own imprint.

Jazz Couriers, Dominion Theatre London 1958.

Struth !

Edited by sidewinder

Ted Curson at La Tete de Art. And a couple of sessions in Toronto that were really recording sessions with an audience: Don Pullen and Andrew Davis.

Several rock concerts where at least a couple of cuts ended up on a record: Neil Young at Massey Hall and The Beach Boys at Massey Hall.

John Lennon Live Peace in Toronto.

not too many I was at, and save for the Steve Lacy none too great:

626b.gif

Wiesendanger/Weber/Ulrich - We Concentrate (Hat Hut)

live at Unerhört Festival, Zürich, Nov. 26, 2004

171.jpg

Steve Lacy - November (Intakt)

a gorgeous Sunday matinee concert, again part of the fine Unerhört festival, Zürich, November 29, 2003

This solo concert belongs to my most treasured memories ... and as I recently mentioned, I couldn't bring myself to revisit it yet, although I did eventually get the CD.

150.jpg

Trio 3 + Irene Schweizer - Berne Concert (Intakt)

one title ("R. I. Exchange") is from the Zürich concert - guess what? Part of the Unerhört festival again ... November 24, 2007

I think that's it already ... I've been to plenty of concerts that were recorded by some radio (or in one case, and that was annoying: TV) stations, but only the above have been released (not sure the Lacy is a radio thing, but the WWU certainly is).

Jazz Couriers, Dominion Theatre London 1958.

David Murray London Concert.

Gil Evans Royal Festival Hall.

plus the odd bootleg or two and numerous radio broadcasts.

I'm jealous that you saw Gil at Festival Hall. I do have the recordings of it and managed to sequence them correctly (I think). Also saw him later that year in Paris.

two fairly recent ones come to mind

E5024.jpeg

John Butcher/Mark Sanders - Daylight. (the London part only)

ea8f68fc99ec4a46ad62e41e590b9282.jpg

recorded at The Vortex

.....and a long long time ago it seems), a 7" Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers recorded at Hammersmith Odeon

Edited by mjazzg