Movin' The Complete Verve Recordings of Wes Montgomery

Hardbopjazz

Don't think so ... browsing through it (it's a splendidly done set, but holds no real discography, all info is spread on the back sides of the thick cardboard-pages holding the discs) it doesn't seem to contain anything unissued.

But it has all the tracks from "Just Walkin'", the overdub versions of the Half Note tracks that appeared on "Willow Weep for Me", the actual versions that appeared on a double LP called "The Verve Small Group Recordings" plus one cut each that first appeared in Japan (on "The Complete Smokin' at the Half Note Vol. 2") and one from the 2CD set "Impressions: The Verve Jazz Sides".

I mainly bought this to get "Further Adventures", but I also never had "Tequila" and "California Dreaming" before ... and I love these Hip-O-boxes, they're very nicely done. But I guess if you have the music already, you don't really need it.

... and I love these Hip-O-boxes, they're very nicely done.

Yes, so did I until I bought the Stan Getz and found that the wrong version of "Flamingo" had been included. Made me wonder about their quality control processes.

I also felt that their "fix" of making an mp3 download available as a replacement was wholly inadequate. They should have replaced the faulty CD like CamJazz did with the faulty CD in one of the David Murray Black Saint boxsets. In fact CamJazz replaced the whole boxset.

Edited by Head Man

... and I love these Hip-O-boxes, they're very nicely done.

Yes, so did I until I bought the Stan Getz and found that the wrong version of "Flamingo" had been included. Made me wonder about their quality control processes.

I also felt that their "fix" of making an mp3 download available as a replacement was wholly inadequate; they should have replaced the faulty CD.

Agreed. They give me the impression they're not really interested in the customer.

FWIW - the remastering on the Wes box set is slightly better than on all previous reissues - I compared. The Half Note tracks, in particular, and even the Van Gelder studio session recorded for the initial release.

What bothers me is that they rigidly kept the first LP release and track sequences intact, thus the small group and big band sessions with Jimmy Smith are spread over two discs - they could have kept those sessions together, IMO. Seems I have to assemble my own discs once more ...

I don't understand such reissues of material released so many times while so much titles remain and probably will remain for ever unissued. What a pity!

It's almost always been that way, even in the early days of EPs and LPs, the stuff that sold most gets reissued. And in this new climate where the labels are cautious about sales, putting out something "safe" is far easier to get up and down the channels than something obscure or that did not sell a lot in an earlier incarnation.

Many of us are jaded collectors who are now wanting the obscure and neglected, but I will say I do appreciate many of these sets for bringing whole bodies of work together under one cover and one mastering (often). And for new jazz fans these sets can be great, they can get a lot of material quickly and easily and with little duplication of what they may have started with.

Not quite - one incomplete live track from the Half Note that was on the Verve Jazz Sides twofer CD was left off - not enough playing time left for it. But some of these live tracks were half bootlegs, anyway. There is some Yurpean double CD with all of them including the Kelly Trio tracks - I had a listen, but found them not thrilling enough to spend the money.

Edited by mikeweil