Female Jazz Singers

mrjazzman

Deceased or living is the question. Of the deceased of course there's the usual suspects, Vaughan, Fitzgerald, McRae too many to mention. But I need some recommendations on the living. I'm familiar with Roberta Gamborini and Dianne Reeves although there's not a consensus as to whether she is a jazz singer, sounds like one to me. So, what say you all, whose at the top of her game in today's world. Totally off subject but it's been fascinating watching the anniversary of the Kennedy
Assassination. When the news broke, I was 13 in my science class at Benjamin Franklin Jr High School, San Francisco, CA. Dirt bag went to Russia, came back and killed our beloved pres. Then another dirt bag kills the dirt bag that killed the pres, AMAZING, only in america........

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the low warm voices too. You beat me with Melody Gardot, Cyril, she is one of my favourites I look up to. I saw her live and she is fabulous! I do a few of her songs. Besides her my favourites of today are: Barb Jungr, Madeleine Peyroux, Fay Claassen, Majorie Barnes, not necessarily in that order. Besides them Gretchen Parlato and Karrin Allyson are jazz singers to check out. Roberta Gambarini was already mentioned. Lizz Wright is also someone to check out.
From earlier times my favourites are Ella, Sarah, Billie, Julie London, Peggy Lee, Abbey Lincoln, Carmen McRae, Nancy Wilson (still going strong), Nina Simone, Anita O'Day. Check out the thread about Beverly Kenney too.
If you want to know specific songs or albums, I can copy paste a liste I've made elsewhere.
Like I mentioned I tend to pick out the low warm voices which are similar to my own. Like Cyril I relate those to my idea of what is jazz the most, although some of the singers I've mentioned mix jazz with other genres. (Lizz Wright f.e., also a fabulous singer)

The strongest jazz vocal album I've heard in recent years:

61YKUv99PNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Doesn't even try to take on the tradition. It's an all original programme of songs using Yeats poems as its basis.

That sounds like a great album! Thank you for pointing it out! :)

Edited by page

Doesn't even try to take on the tradition. It's an all original programme of songs using Yeats poems as its basis.

Very, very independent minded singer from Dublin though she lives in London. Has strong connections with some front rank Brit jazzers (her partner is a guitarist called Phil Robson). Has done some standards recordings and made a recording of Carole King's 'Tapestry' a while back and has a Leonard Cohen album due. But usually she does her own material.

I've really taken to Kate McGarry over the last couple of years.

Oh, and I love Stacey Kent's voice.

And then there's Norma Winstone...no use if you need things rooted in the blues, but I've always loved her voice and, again, her relentless pursuit of her own agenda.

And and another very independent minded singer - Maria Pia de Vito. Every thing from Neopolitan folk songs and baroque opera through Welsh hymns to standards and flirting with electronica.

Speaking of a warm voice...

Yes indeed. Also Eliane Elias.

Very, very independent minded singer from Dublin though she lives in London. Has strong connections with some front rank Brit jazzers (her partner is a guitarist called Phil Robson). Has done some standards recordings and made a recording of Carole King's 'Tapestry' a while back and has a Leonard Cohen album due. But usually she does her own material.

I've really taken to Kate McGarry over the last couple of years.

Oh, and I love Stacey Kent's voice.

And then there's Norma Winstone...no use if you need things rooted in the blues, but I've always loved her voice and, again, her relentless pursuit of her own agenda.

And and another very independent minded singer - Maria Pia de Vito. Every thing from Neopolitan folk songs and baroque opera through Welsh hymns to standards and flirting with electronica.

Thanks for the info on Christine Tobin. I must ask my London friend if he knows her. I love the idea that she set the words of Yeats to music. The combination jazz with poetry works really well I believe. Yesterday I posted about a singer who did that with poems of Langston Hughes. Her name is Leyla McGalla. Not jazz, but worth checking out when you like poetry in combination with music.

Ah, I love Kate McGarry. Did you see my thread with the Abbey Lincoln vocal? Kate McGarry has a stunning rendition of the Bunky Green/Abbey Lincoln song "Little girl, I'll miss you". Thanks for the other suggestions.

51WcRw%2Bu1PL._SY450_.jpg

This is a marvellous record of vocalise treatments of jazz instrumentals:

1. Moanin' 2. Watermelon Man 3. Autumn Leaves 4. Night and Day 5. Lonely Woman 6. Doodlin' 7. The Sidewinder 8. Blues On the Corner 9. Wonderful, Wonderful

10. And What If I Don't

Tierney Sutton is another female vocalist I really enjoy from the current generation.

I agree about Billie, but we can't all be legendary like her. That doesn't mean we can't bring joy. I do think you'll need some life experience to sing jazz, so I can understand what you mean in some cases. You'll have to give them a chance though, to develop.

Edited by page