Prestige 7000 Series on SHM-CD

ArtSalt

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't know that Fantasy put out a 2-fer back in the day (probably still available), but there you go.

Anyone here have these discs?

The only release with both that I know of is the Fresh Sound, I don't believe that OJC ever put out a twofer, I only remember seeing the first album (the ony one I've heard) on OJC.

Edited by jazzbo

Just an FYI:

This series is currently on sale at HMV — buy 2 or more titles, and the price is 1555¥. Even though HMV's shipping is more expensive than CDJapan (and HMV doesn't use cardboard boxes), the total price still comes out a few hundred yen cheaper than CDJapan. HMV's turnaround is also speedy. I've twice received packages in four days from Japan.

Both places are great in my experience.

Just an FYI:

This series is currently on sale at HMV — buy 2 or more titles, and the price is 1555¥. Even though HMV's shipping is more expensive than CDJapan (and HMV doesn't use cardboard boxes), the total price still comes out a few hundred yen cheaper than CDJapan. HMV's turnaround is also speedy. I've twice received packages in four days from Japan.

Both places are great in my experience.

Thanks!

After my checking e.g. for 6 Prestige SHM cds the total cost is:

HMV: 8640 + 3200 [only EMS OPTION AVAILABLE - 2 days delivery!]= 11.840 yen

CDJP: 10.800 + 1200 (SAL - 3 weeks delivery) = 12.000 or 13.560 (registered mail) [plus some extra points resulting to approx 500 yen discount].

HMV has pleny (all) of these titles in stock, while some of them are already oop at cdjp.

Edited by Alexandros

• 2 weeks later...

i gave 'bird feathers' no fewer than four listenings over the weekend. i was stunned with how clear and present the mastering is, and very quiet. this title receives my highest recommendation. although it's what some may describe as "your typical blowing session", it's well assembled and seems to coalesce better than most. i can only hope that the remainder of the titles are this good. i'm placing an order of 15 other titles in the series today... (including the aforementioned dolphy title discussed some time ago)

I just received and am playing it right now. The clarity and presence are indeed beyond any expectation indeed! Fabulous sessions.

Edited by Alexandros

The_Young_Bloods.jpg

The mono on this title sounds amazing from this series. I had to check that it indeed was mono — almost sounds like stereo. Woods was 26 and Byrd was 24 when this recording was made, and, as young as that is, in my opinion it's some of their finest playing. Woods' compositions on this date are also noteworthy — not simply changes meant to blow over that had a title slapped on later.

One thing I've noticed with this series — little to no ear fatigue. You can turn the volume up, fix a beverage, sit back, and soak it up.

I love it when sophisticated Jazz pianists play the blues - I am talkin' about Ray Bryant's SHM-CD "Alone with the Blues" that I just received and played twice. I did not know this record at all. Very nice but somehow short.

Nice analogue sounding with interesting introductory note by Ira Gitler.

By the way, which other solo piano recording from the 50s and 60s would you recommend?

Thanks

Alex

Edited by Alexandros

Step into the 'Seventies and get the solo piano of Earl Hines playing Duke Ellington (four lps on Master Jazz I think, three cd volumes released several ways on New World Records) and playing Cole Porter. Desert island material for me.

Edited by jazzbo