What happened to the old XTC thread?

Big Al

"Mummer" is a gorgeous album, but very, very English. Has virtually no connection to the punky XTC. As a listener with a strong affection for English folk it connected with me immediately (though it's far from a folk record).

I can see why it might be mystifying to listeners expecting the more jittery earlier XTC; I prefer the widescreen, multilayered, richly melodic XTC of English Settlement, Mummer, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons and Apple Venus.

Didn't Mummer have "Love On A Farmboys Wages"? Always really liked that song. And I liked English Settlement just fine, even sprang for the double-LP import. (My only problem with it, as I recall, was it seemed to have a playing time of one-and-a-half albums. But I'm sure the whole shebang is available on one CD now.) I'll admit, I'm overdue for some catching up with XTC. Thing is, every time I'm about to buy CD of theirs, I end up spending the money on a jazz album instead.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't  Mummer have "Love On A Farmboys Wages"?  Always really liked that song.

It did.

Try Apple Venus from just a few years back. It's as good as any of the others to my ears.

Makes a pleasant appetite refresher between the jazz courses!

Thanks. That's one of the CD's on my list.

Just pre-ordered the "Complete Apple Sessions", and I'm looking forward to a great set. Always liked the music that XTC did on these cds.

Now with the rights to the Apple Venus albums back with XTC, Idea is proud to announce the release of the much awaited Apple Box on 31st October 2005.

The Apple Venus albums were originally intended as a double album, but much to Andy and Colins frustrations were released as seperate albums. Here, they are united as originally intended, with the bonus of their respective demo albums in a 4CD set.

The box is stunningly simple, pure white, matt laminated with a peacock feather varnished on the box lid. A white matt slipcase completes the look. Inside, each CD is packaged in its own cardboard wallet with new artwork and a 64 page book contains the lyrics to all the songs for the very first time with new liner notes by Andy and Colin.

Retailing for under £20.00 this set offers incredible value for money.

Autographed copies will be available only from this site.

Details of how to pre-order your copy will be announced shortly.

A real treat for all XTC fans is the inclusion of a special content card. Each card contains a unique PIN number which will enable the user to log onto the XTC web site and with the PIN, download for FREE, 2 brand new XTC tracks, Spiral and Say It. Also on their mobile phone, with the same PIN you will be able to access, via an SMS text, a FREE XTC ‘Stupidly Happy’ ringtone.

Further ringtones will be available from the XTC site very soon.

Be aware that you can acquire XTC's catalog extremely cheaply used on-line. Most albums can be had for between $1 and $6. I'm not really into XTC that much after Black Sea -- Mummer, English Settlement and Oranges and Lemons are albums that I find to be pretty boring, save for a few songs. About half of Nonsuch is good. But I do think that Skylarking and Apple Venus stand out among the rest as being very impressive.

Really coming around on Black Sea, which has hooks galore, and great songs: Towers of London, Generals and Majors, and the bonus song The SomnambulistXTC did change direction after this, but this cd is a standout.

Not to mention "Respectable Street" and "Living Through Another Cuba". :w

Having gone full bore back into vinyl in the past year, I have to say that XTC's vintage stuff really is best heard on vinyl. The newer CD remasters are fine but just can't compare. The "pastoral" ones in particular sound really good in the vinyl format.

Really coming around on Black Sea, which has hooks galore, and great songs: Towers of London, Generals and Majors, and the bonus song The SomnambulistXTC did change direction after this, but this cd is a standout.

Not to mention "Respectable Street" and "Living Through Another Cuba". :w

No doubt about it, Black Sea is their Revolver.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of 'Black Sea,' y'all seen Matthew's latest signature line? Very cool! :tup

It's a cool song! To say I've been on a major XTC binge the past eight months is an understatement! I really love everything they've done and with each listen of a cd I catch more in the music and lyrics. Andy Partridge has captured my imagination as an artist and songwriter like few other rock artists ever have, just amazing stuff he comes out with. Last week all six volumes of Fuzzy Warble finally made it across the pond to make my XTC collection complete. There are to be two more Fuzzies to be released sometime this year. It's all quirky, British, pop heaven. :wub:

Speaking of 'Black Sea,' y'all seen Matthew's latest signature line? Very cool! :tup

It's a cool song!

With a most EXCELLENT bass line! And you're right about Partridge as a lyricist. He comes up with the most fascinating lines:

I would have made this instrumental but the words got in the way

and my all-time favorite:

People will always be willing to wipe their feet

on anything with 'Welcome' written on it.

(Quick: can you name THAT song without looking at your colletion or doing an online search?)

I haven't looked it up, but I think that quote's from "Snowman" off English Settlement.

I just saw that Andy Partridge's "Fuzzy Warbles" (all 6 volumes) are now avail via itunes! (along with a new XTC song.) :excited:

"Think I'm going south for the winter

Me train running low on soul coal."

Edited by Alec

Favorite Colin Moulding bass lines to play along with:

Senses Working Overtime

Jason and the Argonauts

Yacht Dance

All of a Sudden (It's Too Late)

Generals and Majors

Love at First Sight

No Language in Our Lungs

Towers of London

Burning with Optimism's Flame

Travels in Nihilon

Life Begins at the Hop

Ten Feet Tall

Roads Girdle the Globe

Millions

That is the Way

Battery Brides (the live version)

Not that I can play them well, but I sure enjoy trying! Heck, Colin Moulding was the reason I ripped the frets outta my bass!

Another thing: I've got an EP of 'The Mayor of Simpleton," and on the flip side are the following home demos:

Ella Guru

Living in a Haunted Heart

The Good Things

Does anyone know if these were ever released on CD? It's a pity that these weren't ever finished up and properly released, as they're some of the band's finest songs. "Haunted Heart" lives up to its title, and "Good Things" holds Beatlesque charms despite it's raw state.

i don's usually watch this show, but the first contestant on american idol (a heavyweight sweaty black guy - who could not sing) just broke into "making plans for nigel."

it just proves once again that you can never stereotype.

i never would've guessed in a million years that he would sing xtc.

he had to tell the three judges where the song came from.

• 6 months later...

Andy Partridge lives under a black cloud. From his website...

Andys Annus HORRIBILIS Date: 13/07/06

It never rains but it pours.The good news is that Andys broken tendon { in the all important guitar chord forming left hand } is slowly recovering.He's started to play again but says he feels like a beginner at the moment. Time will mend and strengthen.

The bad news is that an accident during mixing the forthcoming improv album, has left Andy with damaged hearing and very bad TINNITUS.This is a crippling condition where a constant loud whistling is heard inside the head.He is currently undergoing hyperbaric oxygen treatment which can be beneficial in many cases.Lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Get well Andy!

andy3.jpg

• 1 month later...

For all you XTC fans out there, me, and maybe two others ;) . Here's the latest from the boys..

The Ultimate Fuzzy Warble Date: 16/08/06

'The Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album' brings together over 100 songs from XTC frontman Andy Partridges' songwriting archive. Recorded over the years, whilst Andy and XTC were signed to Virgin Records and later to the Idea and Ape labels, the material is spread across Eight Volumes featuring songs and alternate versions of many XTC favorites that never made it onto the respective final albums or never made the cut when the final tracklistings were decided. There are also songs Andy never got to complete that he’s re-visited and finished off especially for this Fuzzy Warbles Series.

Each disc has a unique Fuzzy Warbles stamp cover artwork and the collectors box to keep them all in is designed to imitate a stamp album. There is even a bonus CD, Hinges, which features 9 extra tracks only available with this set. Inside each box is a landscape oversized booklet, in which Andy gives a fascinating insight to his recording process with 'A Brief History of Home Taping. Describing his earliest experiences of recording music at home and the excitement of those first recording sessions it all makes fascinating reading, tinged with just a hint of regret as to how the songwriting process has become so bland as recording technology makes things easier and easier.

The final piece of the Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album jigsaw is your own sheet of Fuzzy Warbles stamps to play with, if, anyone could ever dare to part with them!

Release date for the Collectors Album is 16/10/06

Of course, the question for those of us who have all six FW's right now is: WTH? :angry: Does this mean we have to shell out big bucks to get two cds & ep worth of stuff we don't have? The boys says it's all going to be straightened out -- it better be or I will be royally pissed-off!

For all you XTC fans out there, me, and maybe two others ;) . Here's the latest from the boys..

The Ultimate Fuzzy Warble Date: 16/08/06

'The Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album' brings together over 100 songs from XTC frontman Andy Partridges' songwriting archive. Recorded over the years, whilst Andy and XTC were signed to Virgin Records and later to the Idea and Ape labels, the material is spread across Eight Volumes featuring songs and alternate versions of many XTC favorites that never made it onto the respective final albums or never made the cut when the final tracklistings were decided. There are also songs Andy never got to complete that he’s re-visited and finished off especially for this Fuzzy Warbles Series.

Each disc has a unique Fuzzy Warbles stamp cover artwork and the collectors box to keep them all in is designed to imitate a stamp album. There is even a bonus CD, Hinges, which features 9 extra tracks only available with this set. Inside each box is a landscape oversized booklet, in which Andy gives a fascinating insight to his recording process with 'A Brief History of Home Taping. Describing his earliest experiences of recording music at home and the excitement of those first recording sessions it all makes fascinating reading, tinged with just a hint of regret as to how the songwriting process has become so bland as recording technology makes things easier and easier.

The final piece of the Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album jigsaw is your own sheet of Fuzzy Warbles stamps to play with, if, anyone could ever dare to part with them!

Release date for the Collectors Album is 16/10/06

Of course, the question for those of us who have all six FW's right now is: WTH? :angry: Does this mean we have to shell out big bucks to get two cds & ep worth of stuff we don't have? The boys says it's all going to be straightened out -- it better be or I will be royally pissed-off!

One of the others reporting in ^_^

Yes, I too will be PO'd if they don't allow the loyals buyers of 1-6 a way to get the goodies without buying the box!

Okay, I can stop hyper-ventalating now...

Fuzzy Warbles The Price Is Right ! Date: 31/08/06

To halt the frenzy of activity and conjecture with regards the Collectors Album prices, we can now reveal the following.

Fuzzy Warbles Volume 7 and 8 will be released on 25th September and from the Ape Store ONLY you will be able to buy the following variations (all prices ex VAT and shipping) -

Collectors Album ONLY (+ bonus CD/booklet/stamps) - £9.35

Collectors Album + Vol 7 & 8 - £25.52

Volume 7 & 8 - £10.20 each

Collectors Album + Vol 1-8 - £66.32

You will also have the option, only at the time you buy the box, to complete your Warbles collection by buying any combinations of Volumes 1-6 at a special price.

The Collectors Album will only be available from other retailers and on-line stores as a complete boxed set from 16th October in UK/Europe and 10th October in USA.

Nice to see the boys doing the right thing here. :tup

To halt the frenzy of activity and conjecture with regards the Collectors Album prices, we can now reveal the following.

Fuzzy Warbles Volume 7 and 8 will be released on 25th September and from the Ape Store ONLY you will be able to buy the following variations (all prices ex VAT and shipping) -

You will also have the option, only at the time you buy the box, to complete your Warbles collection by buying any combinations of Volumes 1-6 at a special price.

The Collectors Album will only be available from other retailers and on-line stores as a complete boxed set from 16th October in UK/Europe and 10th October in USA.

So, if I have 1-6, I opt for the 2nd choice above. I think :wacko:

So, if I have 1-6, I opt for the 2nd choice above. I think :wacko:

That's what I'm doing.... hope it's right :wacko: