Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
medjuck

RIP Bob Parlocha

12 posts in this topic

:( I would hear his show often on the NPR affiliate in Binghamton, WSQX often in the mid 90';s. RIP Bob

That's incredibly sad news. I heard his show from time to time of KCSM. He obviously loved this music and did his best to advocate for it. May he rest in peace.

Bob's show has been the only jazz program during the week on Boston's public radio stations for a few years now. I should have listened to him more often than I did. His absence will be deeply felt by jazz fans across the country.

RIP Bob.

Bob_Parlocha.jpg

I remember hearing him on KJAZ before it was sold; and later on KCSM. Enjoyed his shows, and always good things about him from his associates. Thanks and RIP, Bob.

R.I.P. Bob. :( Thanks for all you've done helping promote our favorite music.

I'd met him as an "intern" at KJAZ and through mutual friendships with James Moody. For the past 15 years, traveling constantly and working 100-hour weeks, I was a frequent all-night listener, if he was broadcast in the area. I'm glad I had the opportunity to thank him on a recent visit to Alameda.

for me, personally, I know I will never see his like again. he was so unique as a JAZZ DJ. it never sounded like he was scripted. he was incredibly knowledgeable and lots of first-hand info/trivia. Mr. Parlocha, you will be missed enormously.

for me, personally, I know I will never see his like again. he was so unique as a JAZZ DJ. it never sounded like he was scripted. he was incredibly knowledgeable and lots of first-hand info/trivia. Mr. Parlocha, you will be missed enormously.

That's what I remember too, Valerie. And it was selfless, not ego driven the way Phil Schaap approaches his incredible knowledge base. Bob was one of the MC's on the Concord "Tribute to Carl Jefferson" set, so he was in my conscience fairly recently.

Anyone know anything about Jayn Pettingill as a possible inheritor to the Parlocha thing? He seemed to be grooming her as successor?

http://jaynpettingill.com/

I'm in Los Angeles this week. Parlocha programs still run on KKJZ here. Perhaps not surprising, since his programs used to run something like 8 or 10 hours a day, in the past. Big programming gap to fill. His stuff was the only thing I could listen to on KKJZ (at least during the hours I could be listening). David Benoit?

Edited by BeBop

Anyone know anything about Jayn Pettingill as a possible inheritor to the Parlocha thing? He seemed to be grooming her as successor?

http://jaynpettingill.com/

I'm in Los Angeles this week. Parlocha programs still run on KKJZ here. Perhaps not surprising, since his programs used to run something like 8 or 10 hours a day, in the past. Big programming gap to fill. His stuff was the only thing I could listen to on KKJZ (at least during the hours I could be listening). David Benoit?

I am with you 100%, BeBop.