Upcoming NYC shows for Me

Deliberately or not, 2015 has been filled with some excellent shows for me, but a few less than usual compared to the last 5 or 6 years - glorious, wonderful years for me - musical or otherwise. Not that I've attained any big job or whatever / just that life's cool and I love my sports teams - but I love live shows as much as anything in life. 

So in the next few weeks, three real special shows followed by at least two around Thanksgiving that are "can't miss no matter what" and I'll be at all five of these plus another one or two if I can swing it.

10/18: Tony Malaby's Apparitions @ Cornelia Street Cafe 8:30

Tony on saxophones with Ben Gerstein on trombone, Michael Formanek on bass, Billy Mintz on drums PLUS RANDY PETERSON also on drums

10/24: 8:00 Nate Wooley with Joe Morris, Zeena Parkins & Paul Lytton then @10:00 - Wooley & Lytton with Ben Vida & C. Spencer Yeh - both part of Wooley's week at The Stone

11/7 @ The Village Vanguard

8:30: John Zorn, Bill Laswell & Milford Graves

10:30: Mark Ribot, Trevor Dunn & Tyshawn Sorey

11/24 @ 10:00 @ The Stone:

DRAGONFLY BREATH

Paul Flaherty, Steve Swell, C. Spencer Yeh & Weasel Walter

11/29: 8:00 & 10:00 @ The Stone:

Frode Gjerstad Trio + Steve Swell featuring Paul Nilssen-Love

would love to add a night @ Amplify 2015 or a night with Leimgruber-Demuirre-Phillips but that's a nice problem to have

hey steve, we start at 3 pm at IBEAM on sunday; two sets of solo piano, then a quartet + with me and Ava Mendoza, Shayna Dulberger, Lewis Porter and Paul Austerlitz; quartet next with me, Kevin Ray, Ursula Oppens and Ken Peplowski; quartet next with me, Lisa Parroy, Mike Matsuki, Ray, and more; and then a sextet with Kirk Knuffke and other all stars. (the last doesn't start until 7:30; plenty of time to travel -

why do I feel invisible?

Allen: I would Love to attend the afternoon shows but whatever home life I have would be sabotaged if I think I'm seeing shows  @ I Beam on a Sunday afternoon. Similar reason that I've attended none of the 3:00 Sunday matinees @ The Stone some very enticing groups.

plus my wife is planning on coming with me to Cornelia Street since she loves Tony & Ben - and likes the atmosphere. 

She made one visit with me to I Beam and she has vowed never to go near that man cave cement music room.

so very sorry for making you feel invisible. I will attend one of your rare shows one of these days - sooner rather than later, I hope

peace and blessings

I may comment more but I will say a few words now....

50 minutes into the first set, Malaby and Peterson end up in a duet and Tony is channeling Joe Maneri and it lasts maybe a minute

20 minutes or so into the second set and Billy Mintz plays some explosive shit I've never heard any drummer play ever.

at least 3 times during either the continuous 65 minute first set of the over the top incendiary 40 minute continuous second set, Peterson & Mintz combined to overpower my senses to a point I could barely feel any longer. Well not quite, but nothing I've ever experienced can compare

the band is not nearly for everyone - very hard to deal with at times and even I wanted to run screaming from the room a couple of times. Hardest and loudest and most difficult a jazz group that I know of. Horns rarely stop. High tension little release. Gerstein is very good but could be great with another 5 to 10 years more of what he is doing now. Needs a bit more focus but he is getting better and there is no trombonist anything like him.

Randy Peterson plays cymbals better than any drummer alive.

this stuff might be even more difficult on record.

two woman in the crowd.

even hardcore avant-garde guys get scared away from this stuff.

closest analogy to this music is Acension or One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye when Jimmy Lyons gets it going. As relentless as prime Cecil Taylor Unit music but much less planned. No road map as far as I heard. 

Formanek was beastly

blood and guts, baby

Plus my wife didn't come with me last night. She actually liked a similar Malaby Apparitions band we saw a few months back. That ensemble had 3 bassists and a different second drummer in place of Randy Peterson. It was less intense plus there was a good mix of men and woman in the crowd that night. 

The effect of the two drummers @ Cornelia Street is pretty extreme. 

Very rare opportunity for us on the NYC area to see/hear the *great* Paul Lytton in a few assorted shows the next few days. 

As listed above, the most exciting for me is tomorrow night.

He is also playing with Wooley & Company the first set on Sunday with John Zorn added. Lytton is listed as playing "percussion" with Eisenstadt listed as the drummer. If I chose that set and Eisenstadt was on the kit and Lytton was playing something else or some electronics I could not live with me missing him on a drum kit. As I've mentioned, the last and only time I've seen him play drums was in MAY 2003 @ Tonic with Alexander Von Schlippenbach and Evan Parker. That was the tour that was supposed to be Parker-Guy-Lytton but Barry Guy dropped out due to either a family or visa issue.

In any event, fair warning for those locals who are skipping this

there was one wooden duck that eventually rattled to the floor. Another appeared during the second set and one of the two again fell to the floor along with various sticks, plastic bottles and a very cool very old tin can. Plus a few hardware tools and of course various cymbals. Only part of the top of two drums were available for "standard" drumming but apparently Lytton can play more on those two portions of material than is possible. It should be messy and scattered but it is clean precise and incredibly powerful and even scary great. 

Clifford said maybe he is the Art Blakey of this sort of thing, and yes but maybe more than that. A gift from whatever heavens we may or may not believe in.

priceless experience for me. Kudos to all others with my faves being Zeena Parkins in the first set and Ben Vida in the second. Modern versions of the music that Lytton helped invent.

Steve, have you bought the new Lytton CD on Wooley's label? I'm tempted but would be interested to your impressions if you have it

almost bought it?

• 2 weeks later...

Bfrank:

Sunday night @ Ibeam in Brooklyn:

8:30: Tim Daisy solo

9:30: Michael Attias on alto with Max Johnson on bass with Daisy on drums

should be a great groove based trio. Max Johnson is one of the great young bassists playing today while Attias is an excellent alto saxophonist (and baritone from time to time).

Tim Daisy is visiting from Chicago and is well known for his work with Ken Vandermark, Dave Rempis and others.

On 27/10/2015, 17:51:33, mjazzg said:

Steve, have you bought the new Lytton CD on Wooley's label? I'm tempted but would be interested to your impressions if you have it

Just picked up a copy of this in a sale. Awaiting delivery

Edited by mjazzg

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Bfrank:

Sunday night @ Ibeam in Brooklyn:

8:30: Tim Daisy solo

9:30: Michael Attias on alto with Max Johnson on bass with Daisy on drums

should be a great groove based trio. Max Johnson is one of the great young bassists playing today while Attias is an excellent alto saxophonist (and baritone from time to time).

Tim Daisy is visiting from Chicago and is well known for his work with Ken Vandermark, Dave Rempis and others.

Sounds interesting - thanks, Steve! 

Had to cancel Village Vanguard tonight?

BUT - replacing w/Turbine! on 11/17 - 7:30 @  Zurcher Gallery 33 Lafayette Street

Harrison Bankhead & Benjamin Duboc on basses; Ramon Lopez & Hamid Drake on drums, percussion - Steve Swell joins for second set on trombone. 

YEAH BABY! Disappointment turns to joy - nothing in this world better than seeing/hearing Hamid Drake in a nice little room and little will be better than seeing Harrison Bankhead for the first time in over 15 years. Plus the 2 bass/2 drum idea is something I'm all in on. 

Will have to wait on seeing Zorn, Laswell etc. as sometimes life shows up 

a little note for next year - next August at a The Stone - Joe Morris calendar includes Drake all week plus McPhee, Maneri, Taborn and many other greats and a couple or three two drummer shows with Cleaver & Drake!! Plus one set is Malaby, Morris, Parker & Drake. 

plus the last night is 2 sets of Morris, Maneri, Lightcap & Cleaver

wish it all was sooner than 9 months from now!