JSngry

Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2,182 posts in this topic

John Wick - Chad Stahelsk (2014)

Image result for john wick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to see this Thursday night:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941)

Image result for suspicion 1941 olive

Despite the deeply daft studio dictated ending, the film is a very enjoyable yarn with a jaundiced look at the British upper crust still more than valid today, as events are showing.

Edited by kinuta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, ghost of miles said:

Going to see this Thursday night:

 

What's the 411? as the kids say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received a very good review in the Times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to see it on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Received a very good review in the Times. 

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Matthew said:

What's the 411? as the kids say...

My visceral, intellectually-undeveloped opinion is that I loved it.  Went with several friends last night and we're all planning to go see it again as soon as possible.  

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Received a very good review in the Times. 

It's trending around 90% right now on Rotten Tomatoes' critical-consensus meter (audience reviews around the same mark).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apocalypse Now. In my top five, all-time classic

apocalypsenow.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad said:

I saw it on a large screen when it was first released. In the unlikely event that it's shown here in IMAX, I'll go and see it.

The blurb doesn't actually tell us what The Final Cut is. I wonder if it's the original cut , the extended version, or some hybrid, newly edited version.

 

 

Laura - Otto Preminger (1944)

Image result for laura blu ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kinuta said:

I saw it on a large screen when it was first released. In the unlikely event that it's shown here in IMAX, I'll go and see it.

The blurb doesn't actually tell us what The Final Cut is. I wonder if it's the original cut , the extended version, or some hybrid, newly edited version.

I think  (don't really know) "final cut" might mean yet another version which Coppola thinks is definitive. I saw it in Cannes when it was first shown there and I don't think that version was ever screened again.  IIRC it had a slightly different ending than later versions.    The sound at the screening was amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I think  (don't really know) "final cut" might mean yet another version which Coppola thinks is definitive. I saw it in Cannes when it was first shown there and I don't think that version was ever screened again.  IIRC it had a slightly different ending than later versions.    The sound at the screening was amazing. 

How did the ending differ?

By the way the movie (although not by name) is discussed in the book The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen, who writes about the War from a Vietnamese perspective. He’s not complimentary about the movie or Coppola. Great book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Brad said:

How did the ending differ?

By the way the movie (although not by name) is discussed in the book The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen, who writes about the War from a Vietnamese perspective. He’s not complimentary about the movie or Coppola. Great book. 

IIRC (and I often don't) Martin Sheen comes out of the cave after killing Kurtz and the tribesmen are now all bowing down to him. 

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad said:

How did the ending differ?

By the way the movie (although not by name) is discussed in the book The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen, who writes about the War from a Vietnamese perspective. He’s not complimentary about the movie or Coppola. Great book. 

I've had a kindle of that book for several months but haven't got round to it yet.

Will read soon. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kinuta said:

I've had a kindle of that book for several months but haven't got round to it yet.

Will read soon. Thanks.

FWIW, I agree that it's an excellent book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, ghost of miles said:

My visceral, intellectually-undeveloped opinion is that I loved it.  Went with several friends last night and we're all planning to go see it again as soon as possible.  

It's trending around 90% right now on Rotten Tomatoes' critical-consensus meter (audience reviews around the same mark).

I saw it light last night and also loved it.  It's different than other Tarantino movies for the most part. I'd label it his ode or paean to Hollywood in the 60s, to the way things used to be. He recreates the 60s in a way that takes you back, if you were alive at that time. He also tries to rewrite history a little bit or creates a history that he wishes had happened. More I should probably not say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since part of Once in a Time deals with the Manson family, the following articles in today's Arts and Leisure section may be of interest. 

Why Pop Culture Still Can’t Get Enough of Charles Manson.  Written by Ed Sanders of the Fugs, who lived with the Mansons for awhile during the trial, when he was reporting for the LA Free Press. 

The Manson Murders: What to Read, Watch and Listen To

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Gun Crazy - Joseph H Lewis (1950)

Related image

One of the great low budget ($400,000) noirs.

 

Edited by kinuta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, kinuta said:

I thought you guys might like to see what's on the bill at Tokyo's one remaining old school rerun cinema.

http://wasedashochiku.co.jp/english

Looks like quite an eclectic mix.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detour - Edgar G. Ulmer (1945) Criterion

Image result for detour criterion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Apocalypse Now, does anybody have a recommendation of what the best DVD/Blu-Ray edition is to get?  I'm leaning towards this one.

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Speaking of Apocalypse Now, does anybody have a recommendation of what the best DVD/Blu-Ray edition is to get?  I'm leaning towards this one.

Looks like if you want the "ultimate" it's this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.