Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2,182 posts in this topic

John Wick - Chad Stahelsk (2014)

Image result for john wick

Going to see this Thursday night:

Posted (edited)

Suspicion - Alfred Hitchcock (1941)

Image result for suspicion 1941 olive

Despite the deeply daft studio dictated ending, the film is a very enjoyable yarn with a jaundiced look at the British upper crust still more than valid today, as events are showing.

Edited by kinuta

On 7/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, ghost of miles said:

Going to see this Thursday night:

What's the 411? as the kids say...

Received a very good review in the Times. 

I'm going to see it on Monday.

Posted (edited)

Edited by Brad

59 minutes ago, Matthew said:

What's the 411? as the kids say...

My visceral, intellectually-undeveloped opinion is that I loved it.  Went with several friends last night and we're all planning to go see it again as soon as possible.  

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's trending around 90% right now on Rotten Tomatoes' critical-consensus meter (audience reviews around the same mark).

Apocalypse Now. In my top five, all-time classic

apocalypsenow.jpg

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I saw it on a large screen when it was first released. In the unlikely event that it's shown here in IMAX, I'll go and see it.

The blurb doesn't actually tell us what The Final Cut is. I wonder if it's the original cut , the extended version, or some hybrid, newly edited version.

Laura - Otto Preminger (1944)

Image result for laura blu ray

8 hours ago, kinuta said:

I saw it on a large screen when it was first released. In the unlikely event that it's shown here in IMAX, I'll go and see it.

The blurb doesn't actually tell us what The Final Cut is. I wonder if it's the original cut , the extended version, or some hybrid, newly edited version.

I think  (don't really know) "final cut" might mean yet another version which Coppola thinks is definitive. I saw it in Cannes when it was first shown there and I don't think that version was ever screened again.  IIRC it had a slightly different ending than later versions.    The sound at the screening was amazing. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I think  (don't really know) "final cut" might mean yet another version which Coppola thinks is definitive. I saw it in Cannes when it was first shown there and I don't think that version was ever screened again.  IIRC it had a slightly different ending than later versions.    The sound at the screening was amazing. 

How did the ending differ?

By the way the movie (although not by name) is discussed in the book The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen, who writes about the War from a Vietnamese perspective. He’s not complimentary about the movie or Coppola. Great book. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Brad said:

By the way the movie (although not by name) is discussed in the book The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen, who writes about the War from a Vietnamese perspective. He’s not complimentary about the movie or Coppola. Great book. 

IIRC (and I often don't) Martin Sheen comes out of the cave after killing Kurtz and the tribesmen are now all bowing down to him. 

Edited by medjuck

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I've had a kindle of that book for several months but haven't got round to it yet.

Will read soon. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, kinuta said:

I've had a kindle of that book for several months but haven't got round to it yet.

Will read soon. Thanks.

FWIW, I agree that it's an excellent book.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, ghost of miles said:

My visceral, intellectually-undeveloped opinion is that I loved it.  Went with several friends last night and we're all planning to go see it again as soon as possible.  

It's trending around 90% right now on Rotten Tomatoes' critical-consensus meter (audience reviews around the same mark).

I saw it light last night and also loved it.  It's different than other Tarantino movies for the most part. I'd label it his ode or paean to Hollywood in the 60s, to the way things used to be. He recreates the 60s in a way that takes you back, if you were alive at that time. He also tries to rewrite history a little bit or creates a history that he wishes had happened. More I should probably not say. 

Since part of Once in a Time deals with the Manson family, the following articles in today's Arts and Leisure section may be of interest. 

Why Pop Culture Still Can’t Get Enough of Charles Manson.  Written by Ed Sanders of the Fugs, who lived with the Mansons for awhile during the trial, when he was reporting for the LA Free Press. 

The Manson Murders: What to Read, Watch and Listen To

Posted (edited)

Gun Crazy - Joseph H Lewis (1950)

Related image

One of the great low budget ($400,000) noirs.

Edited by kinuta

On 7/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, kinuta said:

I thought you guys might like to see what's on the bill at Tokyo's one remaining old school rerun cinema.

http://wasedashochiku.co.jp/english

Looks like quite an eclectic mix.  

Detour - Edgar G. Ulmer (1945) Criterion

Image result for detour criterion

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Apocalypse Now, does anybody have a recommendation of what the best DVD/Blu-Ray edition is to get?  I'm leaning towards this one.

Edited by ghost of miles

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Speaking of Apocalypse Now, does anybody have a recommendation of what the best DVD/Blu-Ray edition is to get?  I'm leaning towards this one.

Looks like if you want the "ultimate" it's this one.