Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 5

jazzbo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/29/2016 at 7:25 AM, CJ Shearn said:

I'll be reviewing this.  As others have said, to find out how they got there for the master takes is intriguing.  The aborted cowbell use on early takes of "Freedom Jazz Dance" is really interesting, and its evident how much thought went into this group, really nailing the concepts.

Image result for more cowbell

• 3 months later...

Finally getting to this today. Having a blast listening to Ron & Tony ("Art Blakey time!") figure out what the hell they're going to do with "Freedom Jazz Dance", with Herbie every so often commentating and Wayne just playing the head while Miles finally says "I can't play this". And then to hear the final take, yeah!

As far as repeat-listening value, hell, I don't know. How many times do you really "need" to listen to a rehearsal? But that's not a really relevant question to me, to me it's more like when I do listen to it, is it going to be fun and inspiring? I can tell already that this one will be. Especially inspiring, the way they just get a tune, sorta/kinda know what they're going to do with it but not REALLY, and just throw shit out there to see what might click...that's the type of rehearsals that are either fun or hell. Fun when you got smart people suggesting possibilities, hell when nobody has anything to bring past clichés. And you know what type of a band this one was!

I really need to spend more time listening to this with headphones/earbuds.  I've had it on in the room a few times, but I never can focus on what's going on enough (my bad, I know).

My boss is out of town the balance of this week, so I may try and listen at work the next few days, see if that works.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, BFrank said:

Hard to concentrate on in an open room. Will need to headphone it, I think.

"Hard" as in "Nearly impossible" to really give a good listen without headphones.  I've tried (several times), and failed miserably every time.  Even speakers on my desk right in front of my computer monitor (with me at the keyboard) doesn't do it either.

I'm really of two minds on this set.  I'm glad to have it, but maybe more in theory than in practice.

Not regretting having purchased, but definitely one that I won't be spinning with anywhere near the frequency of the other volumes in this series.  And if more open sessions like it come down the pike (in future releases in the series), I'm sure I'll probably give in and buy 'em too -- but I won't make them my highest priority.

Although, BTW, I simply *ADORE* the two similar "rehearsal" sequenquences from the 1965-68 box, i.e...

1. "I Have a Dream (Rehearsal Take)" (Hancock) - 6:43 *
  2. "Speak Like a Child (Rehearsal Take)" (Hancock) - 2:25 *

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Do you guys not work in offices where people don't have earbuds on all the time?

I work alone in a big office, but it isn't really private (but also isn't high traffic all the time either, thankfully).  I have earbuds in sometimes, but most of the time it's better if I listen with the speakers on my desk at a low volume.  There's lots of white-noise in my big space (HVAC fans), but I often need to be able to hear when my boss in the other room hollers a question or needs something -- and speakers on my desk seems to work best.  I never can hear bass-players (don't have anything turned up enough for that), but nearly everything else comes through.

Can't quite play Ornette (or Tyrone Washington), and the like - but there's plenty I can get away with, without any repercussions at all.  In other offices around here, plenty of people work with earbuds in all the time.  I do maybe about 20% of the time, or more when my boss is out of the office (a fair bit sometimes).

On 2/2/2017 at 5:13 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

"Hard" as in "Nearly impossible" to really give a good listen without headphones.  I've tried (several times), and failed miserably every time.  Even speakers on my desk right in front of my computer monitor (with me at the keyboard) doesn't do it either.

I'm really of two minds on this set.  I'm glad to have it, but maybe more in theory than in practice.

Not regretting having purchased, but definitely one that I won't be spinning with anywhere near the frequency of the other volumes in this series.  And if more open sessions like it come down the pike (in future releases in the series), I'm sure I'll probably give in and buy 'em too -- but I won't make them my highest priority.

Although, BTW, I simply *ADORE* the two similar "rehearsal" sequenquences from the 1965-68 box, i.e...

1. "I Have a Dream (Rehearsal Take)" (Hancock) - 6:43 *
  2. "Speak Like a Child (Rehearsal Take)" (Hancock) - 2:25 *

Pretty much what I think about the set(s), too. Nice idea, but ...

• 9 months later...

Got given a gift voucher for a brick and mortar that carries mostly second hand stuff but has a few 'new and sealed' things. They had a reasonably priced new copy of this so decided to get it along with some nostalgic-to-me hip hop circa 95 and 96 (which is paying MAJOR dividends)... listening now... there's a reason that they decided to release this... it's fuccin' sick.